Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Exhibition / museum / tings recommendations?

Numbers

an ting!
Anything on in London at the moment you’d recommend?

I’m off to the 24/7 one at Somerset House tomorrow, haven’t been to the obvious (Natural History / Science / Museum of London / Tate) for years so am going to go back to those, I have a rare cpl of weeks available to me so really fancy some great things/places.

Cheers

While at Design Museum and Leighton House, you may wish to pay your respects to Jimmy Page at The Tower House (or Robbie Williams next door)

Grant Museum of Zoology is always fab, go see the Jar of Moles and the bones.

British Museums Troy exhibit is pretty good but one very good free one they have on atm is Notgeld, German emergency money.

Petrie Egyptian museums good as well, proper old style cupboard museum compared to most of them.

Mushroom extravaganza at Somerset House.

National Portrait Gallery about to close for 3 years.

Andy Warhol at Tate Modern early March.

Grant Museum of Zoology is always fab, go see the Jar of Moles and the bones.

British Museums Troy exhibit is pretty good but one very good free one they have on atm is Notgeld, German emergency money.

Petrie Egyptian museums good as well, proper old style cupboard museum compared to most of them.

The Petrie is closed at the moment, I think they are having some sort of revamp to the entrance - great little place though as you said ... and the Grant :)

Also agree about the Notgeld display at the British Museum - finding the room is a bit confusing though I thought :D

Not sure if it's still on but I enjoyed the Dora Maar exhibition at Tate Modern.

The Wellcome Collection has good exhibitions which are free as does the Brunei Gallery (part of the SOAS building University of London).
We are so lucky in London - so many places :)

Winot that looks good, I must confess I've not yet been to the Wallace! I will definitely make an effort to see that exhibition.

The Wallace is great - not quite as crowded as some places but still central. The building is lovely but the exhibition space not so good - no natural light and a bit claustrophobic as a result. But definitely worth it for this exhibition.

V&A still free to get into (despite the verrrry expensive cakes) and has exhibitions on Mary Quant and cars at the moment. Wellcome Collection can be good too if you've a medical/science interest.

You do have to pay to get into those special exhibitions though.
Their cafe looks lovely but there's no way I'd pay those prices :D

Edit: I think the Quant one has finished now but the Tim Walker - Wonderful Things is brilliant (I thought)

Last edited:
I went to see the Deutsche Borse prize nominees at the Photographers Gallery on Monday, interesting as always - I can never guess who might win, they are all quite different, must be hard to choose.

I haven't been to wildlife photography of the year yet - that usually has some superb photo's.
People who hang around for days in freezing temperatures waiting for that one photo; there are lucky to have the time.
The youngsters photos are good, taken with a very simple piece of equipment, snapped on the spur of the moment :thumbs:

I want to go and see Steve McQueen at the Tate, and the British Museum Arctic Climate and Culture, but I dont think that's quite started yet.

I want to go and see Steve McQueen at the Tate, and the British Museum Arctic Climate and Culture, but I dont think that's quite started yet.

Arctic starts in May, Troy wrapped up today and Tantra starts mid April.

Back
Top Bottom