Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Eurostar only, where to go?

Looby

If you could pick a destination on Eurostar, where would you choose?
Anniversary trip, 2 adults for maybe 5 days in mid July next year.
I guess we could do 2 destinations but would rather not.
We like food, bit of art/museums but not loads.
Happy to wander, get drunk and just spend time with each other.
Neither of us have been to any of the possible destinations.

I’m terrified of flying so train only please.

If you can recommend areas and hotels, even better. I would like to go to Paris but lots of people seem to hate it.

I got burnt by Eurostar last year. I'd booked a trip to Rotterdam and arranged my own hotel accommodation - but then came down with what was probably covid but didn't show up in LFT tests.

Had to cancel at short notice . Cancelling the accommodation was ok-ish. Had to pay for the first night only. But Eurostar don't do cancellations and would only let me reuse the tickets in the future if I paid an extra £80 or £90 per ticket for each 'leg' of the journey (some nonsense like that).

Finally I tried to claim with the insurance I had taken out alongside the Eurostar booking, paid £26 for a doctor's letter to accompany the claim, and heard absolutely nothing, I'm not inclined to use them again any time soon.

This ^^^ been to Avignon twice on the train , and also to nearby Arles (a short train trip away) both well worth visiting.
Yep we did Arles on the same trip, on the same day as a tour of the Camargue, which was good. Pont du Gard and Chateau Neuf du Pape also within striking distance. Easiest and cheapest day out we did was a bus ride over the river to Villeneuve les Avignon. Avignon itself was doable in a couple of days (at most).

They're all lovely, really, but if you've never been to Paris before then maybe just stick with that. There's not much chance of running out of things to do or places to wander round, there are no changes on the train, and the last time I went I was surprised by how decent a hotel room you can get for a reasonable price.

Ashford not served by Eurostar until at least next year, and it may not return. The Kent one is also shite.

I’d suggest Lille, my folks went for a weekend and loved it.
Well I wouldn't bother at all then tbh

Lille has enought to do for a weekend. You could combine it with Tourmei in Belgium. About 30 40 mins by local train. I'd never ever heard of it but it's lovely (And the only Belgium town that has had a representativein the British Parliament). Also Ypres, which as well as the First World War stuff is nice for a few days.

Or Paris or Amsterdam obvs.

Have a look at the reviews (eg Trust Pilot ) before you decide. It looks like it has plunged downhill appallingly especially for customer services/booking issues.
If I’m not going to fly then my options are limited.

For a different type of holiday we’d drive and get the ferry/eurotunnel with the dogs.
For this break I’d like to travel in relative comfort, dump the bags and go for a wander. So Eurostar it is.

City only I think, can’t be arsed navigating villages and countryside on public transport.

i like to got occasional and start talking a middlesex and which side of the thames its always a fun experience :D

I'd also say Amsterdam is the obvious one. Four direct trains a day now taking around four hours A to B.

Or get an Any Station in Belgium ticket and change in Brussels for Ghent, which is like Bruges without all the tourists and associated tat, or maybe stay in Liège and explore the Ardennes.

I wouldn't do it in mid-July, but I assume you have reasons for wanting to do it then. Peak heat, peak tourists, peak prices.

Paris needs lots of planning imo - it’s not an easy city to wrangle particularly food-wise. Amsterdam is straightforward and more relaxing.

Have done Paris recently so have lots of recs for food/drink if you need them.

Back
Top Bottom