Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Engine Tuning - more power needed

You also have an alfa? The guy you refer to did lots more than a remap and unless he did the works himself would have cost a fortune.
Yeah, a 156 JTS, like this:

7190805532_2c7ae2f1a0_z.jpg

A map is about £400, a full stainless steel exhaust from the manifold to the back box is about £1200 fitted (although you can do similar for much less) and the guy's suspension is maybe £1000-1500 fitted.

as downwarddog says, just get summit faster - I learned this the hard way with bikes- microns/ porting/ air filter and all that shit - makes it unsaleable to most people apart from wankers- and fucks the engine

To be honest, if it's just a remap with a slight increase in boost I'd go for it. When that's all you do, it has next to no effect on your fuel efficiency in normal driving and leaves you a bit more headroom when you stomp on it. Only downsides are the cost and the need to make sure you buy decent petrol. Just don't go mental with it and it should be fine. At least there's a good selection for VW turbo 4s. I hunted around for ages for a decent chip for my 635, because most of them just increased max hp at some stupid number of RPMs. Turned out some guy down south in the States had made a chip for the BMW M30s that boosted torque where it really needed it - under 3500. (For a big six, it really liked to rev) That was a great buy.

Mine's done now and has much improved the drivability. No hesitation any more, and much better, much more linear power at low revs. I don't really know or care what's happened to peak power - probably not much.

On the other hand it's loud compared to OEM and I'm still in two minds about whether that's acceptable - might have to quieten it down again.

Maybe they had a laptop and a race/road map they switched between. It doesn't tell you anything really, other than that they've very slightly reduced the number of reflashes before the ECU has issues.

Hey Mauvais, do you ever get Autoitalia? Brera's are now a classic. Not sure if thats a good thing or bad thing though.

Hey Mauvais, do you ever get Autoitalia? Brera's are now a classic. Not sure if thats a good thing or bad thing though.
Nope, can't say I do.

I think in most people's eyes, the Brera is just too young to be a classic. I think it has the qualities needed to be one eventually - design, badge, Italian made, low production numbers (if not quite deliberately) - but even a modern Ferrari wouldn't really count as a classic yet. Then there will those who say that it's not a proper Alfa, with an engine partly from GM, but that's balls - what an Alfa 'is' has always been shifting. They've been saying that about everything since the 75, and probably even before that.

The 360 Challenge Stradale made it to classic status in under 10 years. It must one of the only cars ever built that have only ever appreciated in value from day 1!

Does classic really mean it will appreciate in value, said hopefully?
Sometimes, but generally it happens so slowly that it makes no discernible difference to anyone. A Brera's what, £5-10k now? Suppose it appreciates before long, and in 10-20 years it's worth £15k. It's not a very good return, plus it will have cost a load of money to keep it alive.

Back
Top Bottom