Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Engine Warning Light on Vauxhall Corsa 1.2, What Could it Mean?

hmm you can do the pedal test as shown in the attached video

have to count the number of flashs when depress the break and clutch and the turn the key to position one and then look up the result online it's a bit of a ball ache tbf

AA will be with me between 9 and 10 ..

Last night they tried to send a local garage, I have now insisted on an AA patrol.

I trust the AA more than a local garage.

Reactions: Ax^
The AA patrol just called me, they are on their way to me and they are going to pick up a coil pack and spark plugs on their way. Sounds promising.

sound like they been reading this thread :)

just remember a coil pack is about 70 buck to buy and the plugs about another 20. with the right tools let's say a hours labour

anything above 200-250 quid is taking the piss

sound like they been reading this thread :)

just remember a coil pack is about 70 buck to buy and the plugs about another 20. with the right tools let's say a hours labour

anything above 200-250 quid is taking the piss
I would expect to pay for parts but not labour. I paid for the callout already in my annual fee.

Just a note of praise for the AA. They came out very quickly to my folks yesterday, as my Dad explained when he called that the car wouldn't start to take my Mum to an important hospital appointment. As the AA chap couldn't get it started, he offered to take them to the appointment! (I'd already sent an Uber for them at this point, by I was heartened at the offer)

The last time I had the AA out for this car was about 7 years ago when I had an electrical failure away from home which turned out to be a failed battery. I paid for the replacement battery but not for any labour.
If AA is like Rac you have to pay more for "at home" cover. Although i guess they would have warned you if you didn't have it.

So the car is fixed and running sweetly again.

The AA guy confirmed the misfire (his diagnostic kit told him which pot wasn't firing) and he fitted a new 4 way coil pack and 4 new plugs. The 4 way coil pack was about £200 and the plugs £8 each so quite an expensive repair.

However, the AA continue their performance with me for the last 38 odd years they have pretty much always managed to fix my vehicle - motorbike or car - where it broke down, and never having to resort to towing it to a garage.

Last edited:
And stupidly for some reason I though my engine was a 3 cylinder. Apparently some Corsa's do have 3 cylinders but mine as I have now seen, is a 4 cylinder engine.

So the car is fixed and running sweetly again.

The AA guy confirmed the misfire (his diagnostic kit told him which pot wasn't firing) and he fitted a new 4 way coil pack and 4 new plugs. The 4 way coil pack was about £200 and the plugs £8 each so quite an expensive repair.

However, the AA continue their performance with me for the last 38 odd years they have pretty much always managed to fix my vehicle - motorbike or car - where it broke down, and never having to resort to towing it to a garage.

epp fair play if you like the AA but that an expensive price for a coil pack and spark plug replacement so you more or less paid for the labour

did he give you a receipt is it a Delphine coil pack as that more or less OEM at least

oem coil pack about 109 and 8 quid a spark plug
so 147 in basic part which most places discount anyways and 89 pound for a hour labour basically

but car lives and not messy hand so happy days:)

epp fair play if you like the AA but that an expensive price for a coil pack and spark plug replacement so you more or less paid for the labour

did he give you a receipt is it a Delphine coil pack as that more or less OEM at least
I am waiting for the receipt to come by email. He said there would be a delay.
The replacement coil pack looked identical to the one that came off, though that doesn't mean it was deffo OEM.
oem coil pack about 109 and 8 quid a spark plug
so 147 in basic part which most places discount anyways and 89 pound for a hour labour basically
Yes, I expect they probably marked the coil pack up.
I don't mind too much, it gives me confidence someone working on the jalopy who I was able to ask other questions while they worked and get a bit of confidence that the car is in not too bad a place.

For example on startup there is a bit of a rattle which dies down after a couple of moments, I am now sure it is the hydraulic tappets waiting for oil pressure and nothing to worry about.
but car lives and not messy hand so happy days:)
Indeed.

However I wonder what I would have done had this happened in France going to Le Mans. Might have been trickier :)

Reactions: Ax^
That said about France, on a Friday afternoon near Toulouse perhaps 30 years ago I crashed my motorbike and broke a hole in the alternator casing. After lots of attempts to fix it in a sort of heath robinson way with various adhesives I managed to find (after night had fallen) a man in a large Nissin hut in a forest filled with classic French cars who alloy welded my alternator cover back to completeness and wouldn't take a penny, or a beer in payment.

So I can be resourceful when abroad sometimes.

Got a fresh issue now.

The engine was very hot on getting home today, temp needle right up there.
I put perhaps 2-3 pints of water in the coolant overflow tank.
I think I must have a leak, but I can't see anything obvious.

Ax^ any ideas?

Got a fresh issue now.

The engine was very hot on getting home today, temp needle right up there.
I put perhaps 2-3 pints of water in the coolant overflow tank.
I think I must have a leak, but I can't see anything obvious.

Ax^ any ideas?
Open the oil filler cap and see if it's a creamy/beige colour? If it is it could be a head gasket that's gone. :(

There is no point in speculating until you've read the code.

Get a garage to or buy a £40 machine on amazon.

Main thing is dont do what youre currently doing. get it sorted!

There is no point in speculating until you've read the code.

Get a garage to or buy a £40 machine on amazon.

Main thing is dont do what youre currently doing. get it sorted!
The original issue was sorted by the AA. I have a fresh issue now..

The original issue was sorted by the AA. I have a fresh issue now..

Get a scan tool and check out whats happening.

Not all codes trigger a engine light.

Anything to do with temperature be extremely cautious. Take it to a garage. It's not worth the risk.

This thread is full of absolute crap speculation. Everything from head gasket failure to timing chain to air filter bla bla bla. No one can know any of those things without looking at the car. And chances are it's fixable if you don't ignore it.

Back
Top Bottom