Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Energy Crisis in the UK?

Tooter

So I just went to check my latest electric bill and was unable to access my suppliers website...turns out it's down. Then I checked my email and they have only gone under. Eek!

Makes for pretty grim reading, I had no idea the UK energy market was in such a mess!! Has anyone noticed a significant raise in prices recently?

'Pressures will continue to rise in the market as wholesale energy prices have soared to record levels from what has been a 99 percentile move off the back of an increase in extreme weather conditions leading to a global gas supply shortage, inability to provide timely and necessary generator maintenance causing multiple sites to be taken offline simultaneously, lower exports from Russia and rising demand.

To put this in some perspective, prices in the UK have recently hit over 157 pence per therm compared to less than 30 pence per therm one year ago. Power prices closely follow the gas price and have climbed to an unprecedented level of over £540 per MwH. This is more than four times their normal level over the past decade. This has meant that National Grid have asked coal-fired power stations to switch on to help manage demand.

Indeed, it may be worth noting that testing of the Norwegian electricity interconnector continued last week, exporting power out of the UK, even though the UK power market was experiencing a tight system and prices well over £3000 per MWh!

Graph 1 – (Month Ahead Prices. Daily view 14/09/20 - 01/10/21) below, clearly shows the rise in wholesale power over the past year reaching highs of over £145 per MWh just last week however, this has now spiked further to over £540 per MWh as previously discussed.

You may be aware last year OFGEM announced that all suppliers where required to offer extended payment terms and be more lenient with the collection of debt due to the pandemic, something they are asking to continue into this winter. Utility Point has always supported all its members and understands the variability of vulnerability and that it is not static, supporting many of our members through hard and uncertain times. Unfortunately, this extra support has meant an increase in debt and deficit.

On top of all this the price cap on default tariffs which was introduced to limit the amount suppliers can charge customers has not been covering the costs of supplying energy which means that every supplier is undercharging for energy and that the fair cost for energy that OFGEM was trying to encourage is actually well under the value at which it costs to supply. Although the rise in the level of the price cap is set to increase by £139 from October to reflect rising wholesale costs, bringing the average dual fuel bill to £1,277, this is still over £200 below the cost to supply the energy and it has been impossible to hedge in line with the way the price cap is calculated making the whole market unsustainable to operate in. Indeed, in most cases the only reason that suppliers end up charging more for energy than it costs is to offset the cost of debt and the collection of debt which is a major issue in the industry and one that requires a rethink as those that can, and do pay, end up paying for those that don’t pay.

This toxic mix of circumstances and lack of commercial understanding from the certain powers has made it impossible to continue, indeed the only real outcome for consumers, which will be felt in the coming year, is that prices will rise for the very people that they are trying to protect.

Thus, it is due to this perfect storm and with great sadness we close our doors.'

please bear in mind this is a communique from a company that’s gone bust and of course are not going to acknowledge any fault but the one they’re going with

From this FT article

How exposed is the UK?
The UK is arguably more exposed than the rest of Europe. The country has won plaudits for its sharp reduction in emissions over the past decade — but this was achieved by boosting renewables capacity and supplanting coal with natural gas, particularly during periods of low wind speeds.

The UK also in effect operates a “just-in-time” approach to gas supplies. While it has more domestic production than countries in the EU, it also has far less storage capacity.

The UK government says the country has diverse sources of supply. But it concedes that this means it has to compete in the global market for imports, particularly for cargoes of liquefied natural gas (LNG).

Demand for LNG is increasingly strong in Asia, prompting competition for cargoes. While pipeline supplies from Norway to the UK and the rest of Europe are seen as reliable, the UK is also increasingly reliant on exports from EU pipelines linked to Russia.

Some are concerned that after Brexit, European might prioritise their own supplies over UK needs in a pinch. “We’re effectively at the end of the pipe — not just physically but politically as well,” said Niall Trimble of the Energy Contract Company, a consultancy.

“It’s far from inconceivable that we could have a problem in the event of a very cold winter.”

£540 per MWh = 54p per kWh. I haven’t been in the U.K. for a while, but i used to pay around 16p per kWh for electric, so I can see why there’s a shortfall which might put suppliers out of business.

Worth keeping in mind though that these prices they are quoting are spot prices, which go up and down all day according to supply and demand. The spot price during the night might be a tiny fraction of the daytime price. Normally consumers are paying fixed prices per kWh but the supplier gets billed the spot prices, so it’s a game of averages and one the suppliers are clearly losing just now.

A supplier I was with a few years ago went under - it was a pain in the arse as the transfer to the new one was messy. They claimed I owed them money (I didn't) so I had letters from the receiver demanding I pay whatever back, despite me paying the bill by DD.

What happens if the company folds while the consumer is in credit? Anyone know.
Lots of companies now have a system where credit is built up to some extent, mines probably about £200 with bulb.

What happens if the company folds while the consumer is in credit? Anyone know.
Lots of companies now have a system where credit is built up to some extent, mines probably about £200 with bulb.
From what I understand there is some system that protects credit balances - presumably overseen by OFGEM.

Reactions: pug
I blame the lack of nuclear development. If we'd built several more nuclear power stations over the last twenty years instead of dithering we wouldn't be reliant on Russian gas or LNG for generation at all. I note that Greenpeace are even continuing with their opposition to nuclear, most recently by opposing Sizewell C, on the basis of alternatives route to net zero involving the increased use of gas (with pie in the sky carbon sequestration and hydrogen woo). :facepalm:

I have noticed a significant rise in gas prices in Italy too.

My car runs on methane. Two months ago the price was €1 per kilo of methane. That has now gone up to €1.20. Still miles cheaper than petrol but a 20% price rise is pretty massive

I blame the lack of nuclear development. If we'd built several more nuclear power stations over the last twenty years instead of dithering we wouldn't be reliant on Russian gas or LNG for generation at all. I note that Greenpeace are even continuing with their opposition to nuclear, most recently by opposing Sizewell C, on the basis of alternatives route to net zero involving the increased use of gas (with pie in the sky carbon sequestration and hydrogen woo). :facepalm:
Just because the nuclear industry has been paying the press to say it's clean doesn't mean it is:

'From what I understand there is some system that protects credit balances - presumably overseen by OFGEM'

I hope so....I was about £200 in credit 😐

Just because the nuclear industry has been paying the press to say it's clean doesn't mean it is:

That data shows 4.6 extra childhood leukemia deaths in 35 years above what would be expected without nuclear power.

Meanwhile:

"Even the UK – a country that has witnessed a dramatic decline in coal-fired power use over the last few decades – sees a relatively high level of excess deaths as a result of coal power pollution on a yearly basis, according to the findings. The study estimates that coal plant pollution causes at least 1,270 to 1,670 excess deaths from cardiovascular and respiratory disease each year in the UK."

That data shows 4.6 extra childhood leukemia deaths in 35 years above what would be expected without nuclear power.

Well obviously that's fine and we can afford to multiply that by ten. Or more because you're going to want an electric SUV or some bollocks.

Meanwhile:

"Even the UK – a country that has witnessed a dramatic decline in coal-fired power use over the last few decades – sees a relatively high level of excess deaths as a result of coal power pollution on a yearly basis, according to the findings. The study estimates that coal plant pollution causes at least 1,270 to 1,670 excess deaths from cardiovascular and respiratory disease each year in the UK."

Except that I'm not comparing with coal because we urgently need to stop doing that too.

I just got a letter from my electricity supplier. The price is going up 50% in January! That’s following a substantial hike in November, which itself followed and expensive rise last year. I won’t tell you what their estimated annual total now is, because it’s so eye watering that I don’t want to believe it.

universal credit margins are beyond tight - this feels like a revolutionary moment like the price of bread in egypt in the arab spring but maybe im getting ahead of myself

Back
Top Bottom