Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Electric scooters

The only two vehicles you are allowed on a UK road without registration are electric bikes that have a motor power of less than 250watts and cuts out at about 15.5mph or some classes of mobility scooter. Legally any other mechanical powered device on the road is unregistered and seriously unlawful.
I regularly clock a few ebikes going over 15.5 so they are also liable to be tried as unregistered motors if they get into an accident.
I have seen some pretty big and powerful scooters and skateboards that should likely be regulated in terms of stopping and so on.
They are illegal on pavements.

The only two vehicles you are allowed on a UK road without registration are electric bikes that have a motor power of less than 250watts and cuts out at about 15.5mph or some classes of mobility scooter. Legally any other mechanical powered device on the road is unregistered and seriously unlawful.
I regularly clock a few ebikes going over 15.5 so they are also liable to be tried as unregistered motors if they get into an accident.
I have seen some pretty big and powerful scooters and skateboards that should likely be regulated in terms of stopping and so on.
They are illegal on pavements.
Yeah all that at the moment. But with police numbers what they are and ever changing and evolving attitudes it would probably be ok.

Yeah all that at the moment. But with police numbers what they are and ever changing and evolving attitudes it would probably be ok.
Bit like drunk driving then. So long as you are not caught or do not kill someone there is no real problem with having an illegal vehicle on the roads.

I’ve seen a few around with some kind of petrol motor, kind of noisy and homemade looking (as well as bikes with similar motors), highly illegal but then so are the idiots on mopeds with no helmets and they never seem to get busted either.

It takes about 300W to maintain 40km/h on a bike so a legal e-bike and a not very good cyclist could easily do that.
The UK legislation was harmonised with EU law EN15194 in April 2015, which means that it could change as Brexit takes effect. But for now it’s pretty clear in defining what can – and what cannot – be called an ebike.

Your steed is an “electrically assisted pedal cycle” (or EAPC, or ebike, or Pedelec) if: the bike has pedals that propel it; the electric motor won’t assist you when you’re travelling more than 25 km/h (15.5mph); and the power doesn’t exceed 250 watts.
If your ebike doesn’t meet these regulations – either because the motor is more powerful than 250W, or if it assists you when you’re riding more than 15.5 mph – it will need to be registered, insured and taxed as a motor vehicle. In this case, you will also need a driving licence, and you must wear a motorcycle helmet.

Electric bikes and UK law: what you need to know - Cycling Weekly
I assume the same applies to scooters who as they are not pedal assisted will need to be registered and wearing a legal motorcycle helmet.

oops got halfway through trying to write something and the internet vanished. Didn't realised it posted!

Thought it was self explanatory, if you have wheels it's handy if they are easy to carry for when you can't ride them. eg. down stairs, inside most shops, inside tube stations.
I ride a bike most days and if I can't carry it up and down stairs life gets much more complicated. Same would apply to a scooter. If I could take it on the tube or the bus life would be easier some days.

One place I haven't ridden a bike is through a shop.

On station platforms you tend to get told off if there are any staff around. They get quite upset. Same in train stations.

Last edited:
preferably without the cycle courier bag and the ironic samurai sword handled umbrella poking out of it :hmm: Hipster overload

Back
Top Bottom