Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Electric scooters

Mmm… even if they were legal, the price still seems bonkers to me when you could actually pay less money than that for a 50cc scooter that will take you further, faster, and even allow you to carry a passenger.
Yes, but that’s not the point is it! :)

Yes, but that’s not the point is it! :)
For a bit of frolicking fun, absolutely. I was thinking more on the lines of anyone who might consider it a viable long term solution for commuting to work every day for more than a couple of miles.

To be fair with those £1500+ e-scooters you’re not just paying for fun, but a nice bit of design.

Voi rentals ceasing in Birmingham:
wl3jt9y3g7ka1.png

Contract comes to an end with TfWM. Apparently there is a tender out for rental scooters but it's been delayed so idk if Voi are gone permanently or if TfWM are just running behind on getting the tender sorted and a contract renewed or signed with someone else.
Or it might actually be the end of the trial period and now evaluation before deciding what to do next / waiting for a national decision - I've got no inside knowledge on any of this.

Not legally
Makes sense, we have a few on mobility scooters doing 12mph everywhere, road or pavement. Given the school and old people tho it's better than the guy doing 40 in a 20 and a school zone. People can be such dick heads. We have a footbal/rugby/cricket nets and tennis court that's all free. Basketball coming soon, some dickheadw are wrecking it. They have hundreds of times mor opportunities than mldt places and still do this. Also the dog owners let them shit everywhere. Won't be long til cameras are up. I'm against this in principle but fucks sake. Don't be a twat was our main stance. It may not be correct nowadays but doesn't take much resolving.

Voi rentals ceasing in Birmingham:
wl3jt9y3g7ka1.png

Contract comes to an end with TfWM. Apparently there is a tender out for rental scooters but it's been delayed so idk if Voi are gone permanently or if TfWM are just running behind on getting the tender sorted and a contract renewed or signed with someone else.
Or it might actually be the end of the trial period and now evaluation before deciding what to do next / waiting for a national decision - I've got no inside knowledge on any of this.
This is a real shame. They seem extremely popular, and the times I’ve used one have been a great way to zip around the city centre.

:weed:
In London I don't see many people using the rental scooters - Lime Bikes seem much more popular.
I think Lime Bikes are far more readily available at the present time. Not even sure if you can leave a rental scooter wherever you want or have to return it to a nearby bay, like a Santander bike.

Also, the rental scooters will be speed limited to 15 mph, but judging by what I’ve observed when out and about on my motorcycle, you can get to 25 mph on a Lime bike relatively easy with a bit of vigorous pedalling.

Sounds like its temporary... bit cagey on what happened with Voi.

https://www.itv.com/news/central/20...ds-after-failure-to-find-replacement-operator

I used some rental escooters in my home town in the west country over Xmas... not sure 'zip' is the word I'd use to describe it when it was going up hills... better than getting the bus though..
Sounds like a major fuck up somewhere. No doubt at Tfwm end and anything Andy street touches. I suspect Voi were just hoping for extension that never appeared so this sudden announcement of we’re done.

I half-listened to a programme the other day that argued that e-scooters were a nett harm to the environment - not least because their users were not switching from private cars.
The illegal private ones are starting to be a bit of a pain around here.
And it's so sad to see small children whizzing around on them in the park instead of pushing a non-motorised version...

I half-listened to a programme the other day that argued that e-scooters were a nett harm to the environment - not least because their users were not switching from private cars.
The illegal private ones are starting to be a bit of a pain around here.
And it's so sad to see small children whizzing around on them in the park instead of pushing a non-motorised version...
I think there's alot of evidence that most people are switching from walking or cycling...

Micromobility in limbo: Takeaways from Paris and LA

1680694904824.png

Last edited:
Has anyone changed a tyre/ fixed a puncture on a scooter. Looks like it would be fiddly pain in the arse. There was a queue of them to be fixed at Zac’s on Ferndale Road on Saturday.2F8C141C-BBC8-42C4-8754-FEAD3794B412.jpeg

How to do your weekly shop without an SUV.

:eek:

I hate this shitty world where people just assume it’s okay to film somebody going about his everyday business and put it on the internet. Just leave people the fuck alone.

I know he ended up giving his consent but they didn’t know that when they started filming him.

Paris bans the rental things as of today.
By referendum.

A referendum some call undemocratic as the yewts who use em don't vote and the oldies who hate them vote in droves.

I'd personally like to clothesline anyone who isn't on a legal rental scooter but then the law says I'm the villan not the hero London needs.

By referendum.

A referendum some call undemocratic as the yewts who use em don't vote and the oldies who hate them vote in droves.

I'd personally like to clothesline anyone who isn't on a legal rental scooter but then the law says I'm the villan not the hero London needs.

Oddly private scooters are still OK in Paris, the exact opposite of London.

.. a referendum some call undemocratic as the yewts who use em don't vote and the oldies who hate them vote in droves.

If only there was a formal mechanism for das y00t to express their opinion on the matter… :confused:

If only there was a formal mechanism for das y00t to express their opinion on the matter… :confused:
Minimum age for escooters in france was 12, raised to 14 just before this referendum so lots of (potential) users that won't have been allowed to vote.

Back
Top Bottom