Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Egypt anti-government protests grow

MB case adjourned to sept 4th - this is SCAF saying through the courts, see this is what you'll get if you behave yourself. Moris says he's working to get a million people across the political spectrum to tahir.

SCAF really do seem to have thought of everything:

Sabahi: Constitution to determine new president's fate

Ex-presidential contender Hamdeen Sabahi said that Egypt’s new president will be temporary as his fate will be determined by the constituent assembly who will write the constitution.

The Nasserist ex-contender came third in the first round of Egypt's first post-January 25 Revolution presidential elections.

Sabahi pointed that the complementary Constitutional Declaration, issued by the ruling military council, does not state that the president has to remain in office until the end of his post, which leaves room for his reelection upon the ratification of a constitution and the election a new parliament.

The Supreme Constitutional Court ruled the Islamist-led parliament void on Thursday, leading to its dissolution.

Egypt can still make me wiggle my eyebrows because some activists dare mention an unmentionable - maximum wage!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jun/18/egypt-muslim-brotherhood-warning

Revolutionaries expressed optimism that that the twists and turns of the past week would reanimate the struggle for change. "I'm not pessimistic at all," said Salma Said, a 26-year-old campaigner with the alternative media collective Mosireen. "I think the fight is going to be tougher, just like any game gets harder in the later levels, but what the revolutionaries really need to do now is unite.
"People are already making lists of urgent demands to put to the new president and which must be met within the next few months. Now we can stop being distracted by elections and get back to work on what's really needed: releasing military prisoners, retrying those convicted in military courts, implementing a minimum and maximum wage, and so on."

Well good luck with that, especially when you resort to computer-game metaphors, but hey, at least its not stale or lacking in ambition.

Lots of people tweeting Mubarak clinically dead after being transferred to military hospital

@evanchill To summarize MENA: Mubarak is in mil hospital. Had stroke, heart stopped, didn't respond to shocks, he's "clinically dead". Waiting on more.

Seems there are lots of rumours sweeping Cairo right now.Mubarak's death is one. Might be true, might be bullshit. Another is that Shafiq will be announced the winner on Thursday. Another is that a curfew is about to be announced which seems likely if Shafiq is declared the winner.

The tweet of Daragahi fuel huge fire in Egypt From Dubai we found Dhai Khalfan who hates the Muslim brotherhood than death claiming that Shafik won and difference between him and Morsi is 350,000 votes !!!!

At the same time we got another wave rumors told to the foreign correspondents and Egyptians who got friends again in army and intelligence who tell them to stock food because SCAF will impose curfew Thursday after announcing Shafik as president as clashes will take place. These rumors are confirmed by claims that government is transferring all important documents from all important offices downtown.

Since afternoon and people are sharing these rumors on BBM and What's App like fire.
Meanwhile the Morsi supporters are defending themselves and the victory of their candidates , you find them saying that Abdullah Kamel ,the infamous NDP journalist and member of Shafik media campaign is the responsible for these rumors.

Things are heated already especially after the claim of Shafik's campaign that he won the elections where as the MB held a press conference to assure Morsi's victory showing the results of the subsidiary polling stations and even uploading these results online.
By the way the latest rumor in the block is the death of Hosni Mubarak !!
http://egyptianchronicles.blogspot.co.uk/

Judges for Egypt, an independent group of judges who monitor Egypt's elections, have announced that they will hold a news conference at the Journalists' Syndicate in downtown Cairo on Wednesday afternoon, to disclose the vote-counting documents which show that the Muslim Brotherhood's presidential candidate has won the runoff stage, as announced by Mursi's campaign on Monday.

The news conference comes after the campaign of presidential candidate and Mubarak's last prime minister Ahmed Shafiq announced that their candidate had in fact won, receiving 51 per cent of the votes.

The judges' group, which monitored the vote-counting process of the previous parliamentary elections, announced on Monday that Mursi has garnered 51.5 per cent of the runoff votes, over Shafiq who received 48.5 per cent.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsCon...monitor-judge-group-to-display-vote-resu.aspx

It seems to me that SCAF would be mad to fix this election. A Morsi win gives them everything they want anyway, especially now they have destroyed Parliament and castrated all civilian government of power. Fixing the election to give it to Shafiq will almost certainly guarantee conflict and bring the MB to the streets.

Unless they want conflict in order to give them an excuse to do an Algeria on the country. Possible, but I don't think so. My guess is that Morsi will be declared the winner and the MB will accept the constitutional coup and loss of Parliament just to have the Presidency. They will declare victory, claim the revolution is over and demobilise the streets for SCAF. That is, after all, their purpose.

Of course there is always the possibility that Shafiq will genuinely win it.

Is delaying the election result going to tempt us to scurry away from 'SCAF have played this very cleverly' and back to the old 'what the fuck do they think they are doing?' way of looking at things?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-18528121

The results of Egypt's presidential run-off has been delayed by the election authorities, further raising tension across the polarised country.
They had been due to be announced on Thursday, but the election commission said it needed more time to look into complaints presented by the candidates.
Both Islamist Mohammed Mursi and former Prime Minister Ahmed Shafiq claim they won last weekend's vote.

Election results postponed till Saturday or Sunday.

Meanwhile

Meanwhile, security sources say they are working on a 'Plan B,' in which Shafiq would be declared president.
"We're bracing for a major wave of rioting and unrest for at least two days, which could be incited by the Muslim Brotherhood after Shafiq is announced president," the security source said.
He added that there were plans to put the country in a state of high alert, covering the capital and other major urban centres, such as Alexandria, Suez and Ismailiya. He also said that extra security measures had been put in place to protect churches, especially in light of the considerable electoral support Shafiq had received from Coptic-Christian voters.

http://www.jadaliyya.com/pages/index/6097/mursi-shafiq-campaigns-both-claim-victory-in-egypt

Is delaying the election result going to tempt us to scurry away from 'SCAF have played this very cleverly' and back to the old 'what the fuck do they think they are doing?' way of looking at things?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-18528121
I think we need to remember that the army is - like any collective body - a site of internal struggle.There will be those who have a good long-term view of what they need to achieve their aims and people more concerned with the short term aims. I think we've seen a mix of the two the last few weeks with the former winning out up until this latest move. (btw, i'm not suggesting that there's some Portuguese style colonels in there waiting for their moment, there's not).

Yeah I've moaned at several points about our complete lack of knowledge about factions etc within the military.

The BBC news at ten featured more comedy from SCAF, with their unofficial spokesman predicting a Shafiq win based on 'staring into his crystal ball'.

Jimmy Carter isn't happy.

@Sandmonkey on CNN:

For me the most interesting thing he says is that April 6th backed Morsi in a deal with the MB that got April 6th man Ahmed Maher onto the constitutional committee.

The square is rather full at the moment, and todays speculation is that a re-run of the election at certain polling stations may be called for. SCAF seem to have recently made a statement moaning at MB for releasing results early, accusing them of causing instability, although I've not seen the actual wording yet.

Some people who have crunched the numbers think that a re-run at certain polling stations is the only way to get the vote to go Shafiq's way.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsCon...hafiq-to-be-named-president-on-Sunday,-c.aspx

Egypt's electoral body is set to announce Ahmed Shafiq as the country's new president on Sunday evening, several government sources claimed.

Western diplomats in Cairo also said they have heard similar predictions from Cabinet members over the last three days.

A source in the current government said that Shafiq will be declared victor with 50.7 per cent of the vote, in an outcome that is likely to be strongly disputed by the Muslim Brotherhood's candidate, Mohamed Mursi.

One line of thinking which would explain the delays in announcing the result is that SCAF are using the threat of declaring Shafiq the winner as a bargaining chip in behind-the-scenes negotiations with MB over the constitution, parliament etc.

Meanwhile the MB have been holding a press conference where they are attempting to drag more groups to their side.

Results at 2PM our time on Sunday apparently.

Meanwhile I just noticed this analysis, the first part of which sounds rather silly to me since it contradicts most of what we think we know about where power really lies and the direction things have been going in all along. But hey I'll throw it out there anyway, since I don't like to rule anything out completely and perhaps it is the flip side of the negotiation stuff I mentioned in last post.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18554596

According to some Egypt-watchers, the military generals, realizing that the Brotherhood's candidate Mohamed Mursi will be the winner of the presidential race, are now seeking to strike a deal on a "safe exit", which would grant them immunity against prosecution.
The Islamists, on the other hand, want to take back president's powers which the Scaf withdrew in a constitutional declaration announced earlier this week.
Deal denial
"It is not exactly negotiations, there is too much animosity now for that," Dr Gaber Nassar, a professor of constitutional law, told the BBC.
"But this is what we can call 'soft pressure' exercised basically by the Scaf on the Islamists, who naturally accept compromises."
The Brotherhood, however, deny that there have been any deals negotiated.
"There are no negotiations. We stopped negotiating with the Scaf since the talks over the constitution-drafting assembly," Brotherhood leader Saad al-Hussieny said, referring to the 100-member panel assigned to write the country's new constitution.

Mr Hussieny admitted that a meeting was held earlier this week between the Scaf and another Muslim Brotherhood leader, Saad al-Katatni, speaker of the Islamist-dominated lower house of the parliament which the ruling generals dissolved last week.

Looks like the Shafiq supporters got good numbers out on the streets for once.

AwGYbKwCQAEOOeR.jpg:large

Someone on twitter called this gathering lollafeloolza :D

Back
Top Bottom