Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Edinburgh restaurants

ash

Inittogether
I’m looking for a treat restaurant for my birthday in July. We are staying central and it looks like there are a lot of nice places to eat so would appreciate some personal recommendations.

It's a bit difficult to recommend anywhere because I haven't eaten out in more than a year (except a trip to Wagamama with the kids during Eat Out To Help Out in the summer last year). But a second for the Mosque Kitchen. There's a really nice quite fancy pizza restaurant on Leith Walk called Origano. Or a more cheap and cheerful family run pizza restaurant on Elm Row called The Jolly that we've had many pleasant family meals at. The Witchery at the top of the Royal Mile, on the Lawnmarket just below the Castle, if money is no object and you want a full on get dressed up experience.

I’d agree that it is worth casting your eyes down Leith Walk and down to the Shore area at Leith - this part of the city has become a really nice and more relaxed area to visit these last few years and although still a bit rough at the edges, it is nothing like as rough as it used to be. Transport connections to the centre (Princes St) are also excellent with day and night buses.

Another advantage of going down Leith Walk or to Leith for dinner, is that a lot of the sort of smaller/family/independent, good value/quality places that used to abound in central Edinburgh are now to be found out there, having been pushed out of the centre by big-money operators and the chains.

The two places we have been most recently, ie pre Lockdown are:

Cafe Domenico - excellent small/intimate Italian:

Kezban - went here after we bailed on Tartine because it was rammed with pissed-up, braying, showy, chisled-beardie hipster types and were not disappointed - really excellent/good value Mediterranean meal in a pleasant, happy, family oriented place. The front part is set out more like a cafe/informal space but the back part is the restaurant proper.

The Kings Wark does good, solid upmarket pub food/seafood but can get very busy and there are plenty more choices from full-on fine dining/fancy-foodie to little hole in the wall places in the sreeets around:

Last edited:
Reactions: ash
Also at Haymarket is the Omar Khayyham - Been going there for years ( well, decades :eek: ) now and whilst it may not be the cheapest, most authentic or trendiest place for a curry in Edinburgh, I have never had a bad meal there:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom