Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Edinburgh - London: train vs plane (Scotsman challenge)

Ah yes, a sample size of one should settle the matter once and for all :)

If there's one thing that cobbles likes, it's a reasoned assessment of the facts and I'm sure this will aid him in that.

Let me see - an advertising stunt laid on by the major franchisee - that's rather like the Nuremburg war trials being managed by the SS Old boys association.

"They’ll both start from outside Edinburgh’s Scotsman Hotel" - about the only place with direct access down to Market Street and Waverley Station - so, not rigged.

Why not start in Leith or the Gyle?

I can't wait for the "outcome".

It would be quite amusing if the whole thing backfired on East Coast, by virtue of the wrong kind of leaves on the track or something similar. This is really just an advertising ploy.

Having used both the plane and the train from Edinburgh I know I doubt I will be training it again. I've never been on a plane where the toilets don't work, and while I know planes do have late issues I've never been on one that was 1 hr late.

Having used both the plane and the train from Edinburgh I know I doubt I will be training it again. I've never been on a plane where the toilets don't work, and while I know planes do have late issues I've never been on one that was 1 hr late.

None of the toilets worked? None?

Never seen that before. East Coast mainline or the bizarro Virgin cross country?

That depends on the result...

That it's a business travel challenge, where the guineau pigs have to complete some work tasks, makes it interesting.

No matter how many goodies the airline may lay on, they can't eliminate the processing.

Unfortunate though that it is only one way. EDI out is easier in that respect. Coming back via LHR or whatever is a different ball game.

Trained it up to Edinburgh from Grimsby for my honeymoon. Thoroughly lovely and none of the impotent terror I tend to get with flying. That bridge leading into Berwick is amazing on a train.

at least you get your money back when the train is late

None of the toilets worked? None?

Never seen that before. East Coast mainline or the bizarro Virgin cross country?

Really - I don't think I've ever been on a train to or from London that did not have most if not all of their lavvies out of action long before the destination.

Oh and personally, my longest ever journey to London was by air, thanks to various delays.

Really - I don't think I've ever been on a train to or from London that did not have most if not all of their lavvies out of action long before the destination.

I've often seen a toilet or two close.

I've very occasionally seen seen several toilets close.

I've never, ever, seen every single toilet close (although I'm sure it has happened).

Most of my journeys are on FGW out of Paddington.

Where do you normally travel from/to?

East Coast Mainline, from Aberdeen and through Gem's home station and yes, coming from London, the train has often been a pit long before it reaches Edinburgh and although they usually try to get the litter, they don't always get it fully functional for going north.

Going South can be as bad - By Peterborogh maybe?

Sorry, not clear. Do you mean the train gets messy, or that they (also) close most/all the loos, on every trip?

It's a fucking shitebox of a train but you'd have to be starting from Barnton or somewhere for the plane to be quicker.

I've often seen a toilet or two close.

I've very occasionally seen seen several toilets close.

I've never, ever, seen every single toilet close (although I'm sure it has happened).

Most of my journeys are on FGW out of Paddington.

Where do you normally travel from/to?

Same here - toilets are sometimes out of order on trains but it would be very unusual for there to be none available. In fact I know trains are sometimes terminated if this is the case.

I have been travelling the full length the ECML at least a couple of times every year for the last 10+ years and I can't remember any occasion where all of the toilets are out of action - there must be at least about 10 toilets on all of the East Coast trains.

I've also been delayed now and again, but when the delays have been significant I've had no problems claiming some money back. On one occasion I had the full return ticket price (well over a hundred quid) refunded.

Last time I went to Edinburgh, half of our friends got the plane and we got the train. We definitely won that one in terms of being the most relaxed, having the most enjoyable journey and being the least stressed out. The times ended up more or less the same, but their journey involved trains, airport delays, check ins, planes, waiting for baggage and a cab ride in the rush hour.

We got on the train and that was it :)

I've never seen all the toilets out of action for 20 years of shuttling back and forth on the East Coast line.

I've had some hefty delays on trains and some journeys which have been hassle but when the Christmas flight I had booked was cancelled it was the trains that got me home in time instead of leaving me stranded and tough luck me.

I've never seen all the toilets out of action for 20 years of shuttling back and forth on the East Coast line.

I've had some hefty delays on trains and some journeys which have been hassle but when the Christmas flight I had booked was cancelled it was the trains that got me home in time instead of leaving me stranded and tough luck me.

Stop it.

You're like, doing all that facts and stuff. ;)

maybe geminisnake is working on a sample size of one. Or didn't realise there was more than one carriage in her train.

For this particular journey both will be pretty much the same when it comes to time taken I reckon, but the train wins hands down for ease/stress.

Flying used to be bloody great, but the security bullshit and associated queuing you have to go through now really has taken the fun out of it.

For this particular journey both will be pretty much the same when it comes to time taken I reckon, but the train wins hands down for ease/stress.

Flying used to be bloody great, but the security bullshit and associated queuing you have to go through now really has taken the fun out of it.

This, pretty much. Although flying can be cheaper

As part of its raft of improvements (e.g. increase in retail space), Edinburgh airport now has a priority land to waft Business ticket holders painlessly through security (which has also been extended so that there's less congestion than there used to be even if you're Easyjetting, unless you're unfortunate enough to time your departure to coincide with the departure of a load of shell suits bound for the Balearics).

In any event, that's much less of a rammy than the shambles at Kings Cross as trains only appear to be announced nanosecends before they depart, leading to ghastly stampeding up the platform - thankfully first class usually seems to be at the concourse end of the platform.

I used Luton airport last week and was pleased to spot and use the £3 a shot security fast-track route - less than the cost of a coffee at Waverley station and well worth it.

As part of its raft of improvements (e.g. increase in retail space), Edinburgh airport now has a priority land to waft Business ticket holders painlessly through security (which has also been extended so that there's less congestion than there used to be even if you're Easyjetting, unless you're unfortunate enough to time your departure to coincide with the departure of a load of shell suits bound for the Balearics).

In any event, that's much less of a rammy than the shambles at Kings Cross as trains only appear to be announced nanosecends before they depart, leading to ghastly stampeding up the platform - thankfully first class usually seems to be at the concourse end of the platform.

I used Luton airport last week and was pleased to spot and use the £3 a shot security fast-track route - less than the cost of a coffee at Waverley station and well worth it.

I don't understand why you don't just buy a private jet and have done with it.

I don't understand why you don't just buy a private jet and have done with it.

I did look at the concept a few years ago when fractional ownership schemes started operating but there are just so many scheduled flights to choose from that the marginal extra convenience wasn't enough to dislodge the additional costs.

How much does business class travel from London - Edinburgh cost and how does seat size compare with the first class train seats?

Back
Top Bottom