Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dunfermline residents up in arms over 'social housing' proposals

Velouria

Long time lurker
Interesting ...

THE “disgusting” attitude of private home owners in Dunfermline’s eastern expansion, opposed to the building of social housing next to them, has been condemned by their own councillors.

Existing residents are unhappy at the prospect of their future neighbours in 64 new affordable houses and 24 flats, with claims that the incomers would bring anti-social behaviour into the area.

They also fear the new development would reduce the value of their own homes and that mixing social housing with owner/occupied “will create a social divide and social problems within the area”, the City of Dunfermline area committee heard yesterday (Wednesday).

One objector suggested that people moving into the new social housing would be better suited to Abbeyview and the money should be spent on renovating derelict properties there.

http://www.dunfermlinepress.com/new...5/07/387118-dex-snobs-blasted-by-councillors/

Of course there's more than one side to this story, as the comments reveal; since the council is now creaming off millions in council tax payments from these residents (both the snobby and the down to earth ones... :D) and failing to provide adequate education services in return ... including selling off land that was actually earmarked to build a new primary school to a developer in 2003 ...

http://www.dunfermlinepress.com/new...for-school-site-could-cost-council-17million/

As you can see from Google Maps (or partly see, as the satellite images are a few years old!) the DEX is a very large housing project of very dense housing with little in the way of public spaces... Greatest possible bang for the buck :-(

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...8811,-3.405032&spn=0.016222,0.025964&t=h&z=15

If you zoom in on some of the houses that are actually built in that satellite pic, you can see how the developers have basically crammed in as many houses as possible, with tiny gardens, and then charged about 200 grand a pop for the houses ... :mad:

I ballsed up the thread title; could a kind moderator expand it out to be the same as the post title? :D

kthx ;)

Are you not meant to pm to ask for corrections?? Do the mods come in here very often??

Awaits all the mods proving me wrong ;)

I wouldn't want social housing(or any housing near me tbh) Bad enough having neighbours on one side. Dunfermline council labour run is it? :hmm:

Are you not meant to pm to ask for corrections?? Do the mods come in here very often??

Awaits all the mods proving me wrong ;)

I wouldn't want social housing(or any housing near me tbh) Bad enough having neighbours on one side. Dunfermline council labour run is it? :hmm:

Surprisingly, no ;-)

Since the last Scottish election in 2007, Fife Council has been run as a joint SNP/Liberal Democrat coalition, claiming a total of 44 seats together. Peter Grant was elected leader of Fife Council. Labour and the other parties form the opposition.

I have no idea what the political subdivisions are at lower levels, or who runs them ...

Is that the area that was known as Abbeyview.. ( or still might be..) Where they've pulled all the multi block flats down and rehoused the inhabitants..

I remember it being an area to keep away from because of the antisocial behaviour that went on... I'm talking twenty five years ago or more though..

It was an area that had been built well cramped with the maximum amount of houses over a small area..

It's been a long time since I visited the area and those I did go and see have either long gone or left for other parts..

Perhaps the memory of what it used to be is still a concern...

It is indeed pretty close to Abbeyview ...

Never realised there used to be multis there ... I think I see the bits you mean; the aerial photos are a few years old ... (checks aerial photos of work) ... hmm, about 7 or 8 years old I'll wager! Multis are a rare breed in Dunfermline. The only ones left that I know of are the Broomhead Flats:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...6.077107,-3.463794&spn=0.004054,0.006448&z=17

and they tend to be rather big tall things so I'd be surprised if there were any I'd missed ... :D

Scabbyview (as it is nicknamed...) still tends to have a rather poor reputation!

We had a VERY similar issue in our town about 10 years ago.

I was more at home then and tried (and kind of succeded) in pushing the atmosphere to not be so "income support pikeys push down house prices".

Now, the new houses are kind of accepted.
In a way it has kept the place from dying.

Back
Top Bottom