Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dubai ruler's "junior wife" in UK in fear of her life

elbows

A horrible story that reminds us of a bunch of different horrible realities, and is more than a little awkward for certain classes social circles and those who haunt the corridors of power.

I put the junior wife bit in the title to highlight the horrors of this setup even at the best of times, let alone now that relations have broken down.

Dubai ruler's wife 'in hiding in UK'

Princess Haya Bint al-Hussein, a wife of the ruler of Dubai, Sheikh Mohammed Al Maktoum, is in hiding in London and said to be in fear for her life after fleeing her husband.

Sheikh Mohammed, 69, who is a billionaire racehorse owner and has often been seen conversing with the Queen at Ascot, has posted a furious poem on Instagram accusing an unidentified woman of "treachery and betrayal".

The Jordanian-born and British-educated Princess Haya, 45, married Sheikh Mohammed - owner of Godolphin horse racing stables - in 2004, becoming his sixth and "junior wife".

Sheikh Mohammed reportedly has 23 children by different wives.

Princess Haya fled initially this year to Germany to seek asylum. She is now said to be living in a £85m ($107m) town house in Kensington Palace Gardens, in central London, and preparing for a legal battle in the High Court.

Oh and since it was Frank the BBC security correspondent reporting this story, here is the most obvious 'international element'.

There is, however, a wider, international element to this story.

Princess Haya, who was educated at Bryanston School in Dorset then Oxford University, is thought likely to want to stay in the UK.

If her estranged husband demands her return then this poses a diplomatic headache for Britain, which has close ties to the UAE.

The case is also awkward for Jordan since Princess Haya is the half-sister of Jordan's King Abdullah. Nearly a quarter of a million Jordanians work in the UAE, sending back remittances, and Jordan cannot afford a rift with Dubai.

I've also left out the entire 'connection to Sheikha Latifa' part of the story, which is kind of important.

So many hideous regimes.

There are certainly a number of different obscenities on display in this story.

I will still take note of the plight of people with disgusting wealth, if the story of their plight also applies in some way to people with far less wealth and power.

Such obscene wealth slopping around for the few. And such poverty for the many. Cunts

c5f58a4f2b9781fb4ede7fb5e7fa6a77

Vast wealth tends to be a corrupting influence. Donald Trump brags about "grabbing them by the pussy" and "being able to shoot someone in the middle of the street". So its not just confined to the Saudis. That said, they seem to be good at being bad. I remember a case a couple of years ago when a maid turned up with 24 nails embedded in her body. She had to be smuggled away to prevent her being murdered. In both these cases, its women and the poor, and often poor women that take the brunt of the abuses.

Have been following this closely as the Princess has a lot to do with my work. Oddly I was expecting to meet her late this month in Dubai :facepalm: have been in contact with some 'her people' and there is a lot of uncertainty/concern understandably.

Nasty business

I should also have said that I dont want to put anyone off mentioning horrific things of a similar sort done by other regimes, I just wanted to be clear that this particular one was not Saudi-related.

The fear of being 'rendered' back to the country is another thing in common with some Saudi regime shit too.

I just tend to remember that particular instance because its so amazingly brutal and petty. It makes me sad to be human.

Wasn’t another princess who almost escaped captured and taken back?

Probably the daughter mentioned in bits of the article that I did not quote before?

Sources close to her have said that Princess Haya had recently discovered disturbing facts behind the mysterious return to Dubai last year of Sheikha Latifa, one of the ruler's daughters. She fled the UAE by sea with the help of a Frenchman but was intercepted by armed men off the coast of India and returned to Dubai.

Princess Haya then, along with the former Irish president Mary Robinson, defended Dubai's reputation over the incident.

The Dubai authorities said the runaway Sheikha Latifa had been "vulnerable to exploitation" and was "now safe in Dubai". But human rights advocates said she was forcibly abducted against her will.

Since then, it is alleged, Princess Haya has learnt new facts about the case and consequently came under increasing hostility and pressure from members of her husband's extended family until she no longer felt safe there.

A source close to her said she fears she may now be abducted herself and "rendered" back to Dubai. The UAE embassy in London has declined to comment on what it says is a personal matter between two individuals.

Wasn’t another princess who almost escaped captured and taken back?

Yep she crossed the med I think on a boat and special forces nabbed her and took her home. Then one of her sisters escaped via the same route I think. Something like that but it's a while since I read the story but yep it sounds fucking awful forwomen involved with the Saudi elite. Drugged into oblivion and held under lock and key and this is a country our leaders do business with :rolleyes:

Details emerge of the daughter who is being held under house arrest. Shocking video she has made and smuggled out. Dubai, so popular with our beloved influencers.

Details emerge of the daughter who is being held under house arrest. Shocking video she has made and smuggled out. Dubai, so popular with our beloved influencers.

Yep, it's a grim tale and no doubt there's many more less influential people suffering under this poisonous regime too. But hey! Lets do an arms deal!

Back
Top Bottom