Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Donald Trump, the road that might not lead to the White House!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he just realises how good the people at a $800-1200 a ticket play booing Pence looks for the Trump people. 'They treat him with the same contempt that they treat you'.

Yep, looks like they're going to gleefully run with the "Broadway audiences all out-of-touch elitists" angle and I guess they wouldn't be 100% wrong - though the cheap seats for Hamilton start at $180 for anyone lucky enough to get one, doesn't compare too badly with tickets for some NFL games, where some "cast members" would probably be tempted to give Mike Pence a lot more of an earful if he was close enough.

Reactions: CRI
Yep, looks like they're going to gleefully run with the "Broadway audiences all out-of-touch elitists" angle and I guess they wouldn't be 100% wrong - though the cheap seats for Hamilton start at $180 for anyone lucky enough to get one, doesn't compare too badly with tickets for some NFL games, where some "cast members" would probably be tempted to give Mike Pence a lot more of an earful if he was close enough.

I think that if he did actually get an earful, and more, that would have looked a fuck of a lot better than the 'they go low we go high' scolding as if from a primary school teacher to a small child.

Then you don't know about Trump's friendship with Tom Brady who is considered the best quarterback in the NFL. I expect Trump to appear at a New England Patriots game as soon as his team feels it's the right PR move.

I've actually got a smidgen more respect for Mike Pence for going to something like Hamilton and staying all the way through, though it'd take a fuck of a lot more smidgens before I'd consider him to be anything resembling a reasonable human being.

Then you don't know about Trump's friendship with Tom Brady who is considered the best quarterback in the NFL. I expect Trump to appear at a New England Patriots game as soon as his team feels it's the right PR move.

Tom Brady, sure, but I don't know what Patriots like Martellus Bennett and Devin McCourty, who joined NFL national anthem protests, might say if they had the opportunity to publicly address Donald Trump.

Tom Brady, sure, but I don't know what Patriots like Martellus Bennett and Devin McCourty, who joined NFL national anthem protests, might say if they had the opportunity to publicly address Donald Trump.
They would get ridiculed, as many of the NFL players have been.

Trump's football history is more extensive than I thought - and it's incredibly Trumpian.

He bought the New Jersey Generals in 1983 and ended up bringing the United States Football League crashing down.
The Donald made a media-inhaling, savior-is-born entrance; surged beyond expectations; then went all in on his attempt to upend the entrenched NFL by pushing his fellow owners to move games to the fall in hopes of inciting a merger. The bet brought the league, already in failing health, crashing down.
How Donald Trump Destroyed a Football League

He pissed off a lot of NFL players by calling new rules on not playing after concussions "soft."
Jets safety Calvin Pryor called the comments "sickening."
"That's very disrespectful for him to even speak on that matter," Pryor said. "Guys who go out there and risk their lives and play for greater things, just to say some foolishness like that, man, it's not right. For someone who (could be) one of the presidents someday, it's not right. It's kind of sickening, honestly."
NFL players rip Donald Trump for his take on concussions

He's turning NFL teams against each other:
Interviews by B/R Mag with dozens of NFL players about Trump over the past four months reveal that scenes of a divided America sparked by the candidate have been replicated inside at least a half-dozen locker rooms of its most popular sport. Some players cite low-level confrontations. Others say friendships have ended. Many see a toughness that could cross political boundaries and a business acumen that’s attractive to the likes of Tom Brady, only for the candidate’s racial bluster to spark more outrage. At least one coach has insisted there be no more player discussions of Trump—not a ban on politics in general, just Trump—while on team property.
Donald Trump Is Tearing the NFL Apart

I don't think we're going to see Trump at an NFL game anytime soon - and if he does try to make a public appearance with the New England Patriots, it could get interesting.

Donald, Congratulations on a tremendous campaign!! You have dealt with an unbelievably slanted & negative media & have come out of it beautifully.You have proved to be the ultimate competitor and fighter!! Your leadership is amazing!! I have always had tremendous respect for you, but the toughness & perseverance you have displayed over the past year is remarkable. Hopefully, tomorrow’s election results will give you the opportunity to Make America Great Again!! Best wishes for great results tomorrow, Bill Belichick

Yes perhaps we could describe that society as fascistic, but you have to compare it against what was around at the time - within living memory we had indisputably fascist governments in Germany and Italy.

Since then the politics in europe and the US have moved away from fascism, so taking it back towards those attitudes could reasonably be called fascistic.
What the fuck are you dribbling on about. You claimed that any move to the right by Trump would be towards fascism. This is patently fucking absurd. Within living memory there are many governments that have been well to the right of Trump that were not fascistic. In the 50s the Australian government denied the vote to Aboriginal people, had a whites-only immigration policy and attempted to ban the Communist Party. Was the Menzies government fascist, of course not.

lol yes, it was butchers having a pop at me but his statement actually being more suited to criticizing your position that appealed. I wouldn't say his views were exactly 'shit' though :D
Oh fuck off you pathetic prick.

As others have said, though, what does it actually matter whether we call it fascist or not? What difference does it make to how we deal with it?
And as I've already said twice, if you want to oppose the populist hard right you need to understand it. Dotcommunists post nails it.

If a fascist movement had secured ~25% of the vote then people shouldn't be fucking about with the Democratic party or protest marches, instead then the tactic should be violence.

Re: Is Trump a Fascist?

It's very easy to be a cunt without being a fash. I'd say America under his rule will likely resemble the Six Counties under Stormont - that's the best case scenario. Worst case scenario is Rhodesia under the Smith regime, or South Africa under the National party - both places where the outward forms of parliamentary democracy and the rule of law (or A rule of law, I should say) were preserved, but inside they were rotting away.

The other thing is that Trump shows every sign of being willing to loot the American state like a bastard. The precedent there might be every African ruler who ever channelled the vengeful spirit of Arfur Daley (including the SA National party, many of whose Broederbond members became quite rich by means that were not entirely clear).

I'd say America under his rule will likely resemble the Six Counties under Stormont
Rhodesia under the Smith regime, or South Africa under the National party
So you think that there will be bans on blacks and whites marrying, separate education systems for the different races. Or are you just spouting arse gravy for the peanut gallery?

The other thing is that Trump shows every sign of being willing to loot the American state like a bastard.
Willing is not able. He is using his position to promote his companies and schemes at the moment. But that is not "looting the state". Are you now going to claim he will send US tax dollars into his private account, or more hyperbole for the peanut gallery?

So you think that there will be bans on blacks and whites marrying, separate education systems for the different races. Or are you just spouting arse gravy for the peanut gallery?

Willing is not able. He is using his position to promote his companies and schemes at the moment. But that is not "looting the state". Are you now going to claim he will send US tax dollars into his private account, or more hyperbole for the peanut gallery?

My point is that there are more and better historical precedents for the form the Trump regime will take than Germany under the NSDAP - including the north of Ireland, Rhodesia under Smith, South Africa under the NP, Quebec under Duplessis, Queensland under Joh Bjelke-Petersen, New Zealand under Rob Muldoon. These were all various and diverse in the level of "arse gravy" they spilled out on the populations under their control, with Rhodesia and South Africa being at the most extreme end (peterkro, how repressive was Muldoon, really?). What they have in common, and what makes them relevant, is that they were all outwardly liberal systems resorting to racism and repression.

And willing may not be the same thing as able, but that won't stop him making the attempt.

all those checks and balances put in place to thwart such theivery would stop him, similar to how thats always worked in dear old blighty. Yep.

My point is that there are more and better historical precedents for the form the Trump regime will take than Germany under the NSDAP
Laughable.
outwardly liberal systems resorting to racism and repression.
Smiths Rhodesia was outwardly liberal. Are you snorting cocaine? I mean even for Urban 75s clowns that is pushing the boat out a bit.

Or in Australia:

"The editorial outlines the various ways in which Bjelke-Petersen enriched himself by abusing his public office. It recounts the demand for $1 million from Alan Bond in settlement of a defamation action, corrupt gains from oil exploration permits, and stories of bags of cash arriving at the Premier’s office. Moreover, the paper rightly attributes Bjelke-Petersen’s “snake-oil economics and populist patriotism” as paving the way for Pauline Hanson."

Bjelke-Petersen: Corrupt, Venal, Vindictive, Hypocritical, Dangerous | AustralianPolitics.com

Laughable.
Smiths Rhodesia was outwardly liberal. Are you snorting cocaine? I mean even for Urban 75s clowns that is pushing the boat out a bit.
Outwardly liberal in that it claimed to be fighting for civilisation defined as private property and free markets. But it rotted from within very, very quickly.

Trump in the White House: An Interview With Noam Chomsky

C.J. Polychroniou for Truthout: Noam, the unthinkable has happened: In contrast to all forecasts, Donald Trump scored a decisive victory over Hillary Clinton, and the man that Michael Moore described as a "wretched, ignorant, dangerous part-time clown and full-time sociopath" will be the next president of the United States. In your view, what were the deciding factors that led American voters to produce the biggest upset in the history of US politics?

Noam Chomsky: Before turning to this question, I think it is important to spend a few moments pondering just what happened on November 8, a date that might turn out to be one of the most important in human history, depending on how we react.

No exaggeration.

The most important news of November 8 was barely noted, a fact of some significance in itself.

On November 8, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) delivered a report at the international conference on climate change in Morocco (COP22) which was called in order to carry forward the Paris agreement of COP21. The WMO reported that the past five years were the hottest on record. It reported rising sea levels, soon to increase as a result of the unexpectedly rapid melting of polar ice, most ominously the huge Antarctic glaciers. Already, Arctic sea ice over the past five years is 28 percent below the average of the previous 29 years, not only raising sea levels, but also reducing the cooling effect of polar ice reflection of solar rays, thereby accelerating the grim effects of global warming. The WMO reported further that temperatures are approaching dangerously close to the goal established by COP21, along with other dire reports and forecasts.

Another event took place on November 8, which also may turn out to be of unusual historical significance for reasons that, once again, were barely noted.

On November 8, the most powerful country in world history, which will set its stamp on what comes next, had an election. The outcome placed total control of the government -- executive, Congress, the Supreme Court -- in the hands of the Republican Party, which has become the most dangerous organization in world history.

Apart from the last phrase, all of this is uncontroversial. The last phrase may seem outlandish, even outrageous. But is it? The facts suggest otherwise. The Party is dedicated to racing as rapidly as possible to destruction of organized human life. There is no historical precedent for such a stand.

Is this an exaggeration? Consider what we have just been witnessing.

During the Republican primaries, every candidate denied that what is happening is happening -- with the exception of the sensible moderates, like Jeb Bush, who said it's all uncertain, but we don't have to do anything because we're producing more natural gas, thanks to fracking. Or John Kasich, who agreed that global warming is taking place, but added that "we are going to burn [coal] in Ohio and we are not going to apologize for it."

The winning candidate, now the president-elect, calls for rapid increase in use of fossil fuels, including coal; dismantling of regulations; rejection of help to developing countries that are seeking to move to sustainable energy; and in general, racing to the cliff as fast as possible.

Trump has already taken steps to dismantle the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) by placing in charge of the EPA transition a notorious (and proud) climate change denier, Myron Ebell. Trump's top adviser on energy, billionaire oil executive Harold Hamm, announced his expectations, which were predictable: dismantling regulations, tax cuts for the industry (and the wealthy and corporate sector generally), more fossil fuel production, lifting Obama's temporary block on the Dakota Access pipeline. The market reacted quickly. Shares in energy corporations boomed, including the world's largest coal miner, Peabody Energy, which had filed for bankruptcy, but after Trump's victory, registered a 50 percent gain.

The effects of Republican denialism had already been felt. There had been hopes that the COP21 Paris agreement would lead to a verifiable treaty, but any such thoughts were abandoned because the Republican Congress would not accept any binding commitments, so what emerged was a voluntary agreement, evidently much weaker.

Effects may soon become even more vividly apparent than they already are. In Bangladesh alone, tens of millions are expected to have to flee from low-lying plains in coming years because of sea level rise and more severe weather, creating a migrant crisis that will make today's pale in significance. With considerable justice, Bangladesh's leading climate scientist says that "These migrants should have the right to move to the countries from which all these greenhouse gases are coming. Millions should be able to go to the United States." And to the other rich countries that have grown wealthy while bringing about a new geological era, the Anthropocene, marked by radical human transformation of the environment. These catastrophic consequences can only increase, not just in Bangladesh, but in all of South Asia as temperatures, already intolerable for the poor, inexorably rise and the Himalayan glaciers melt, threatening the entire water supply. Already in India, some 300 million people are reported to lack adequate drinking water. And the effects will reach far beyond.

It is hard to find words to capture the fact that humans are facing the most important question in their history -- whether organized human life will survive in anything like the form we know -- and are answering it by accelerating the race to disaster

Laughable.
Outwardly liberal in that it claimed to be fighting for civilisation defined as private property and free markets. But it rotted from within very, very quickly.
classic feral. Sneering niavety mixed in with unwarranted arrogance. Misunderstands basic political terminology and makes a prat of himself. Lets see if he comes back to his vomit this time, I doubt it tho.

classic feral. Sneering niavety mixed in with unwarranted arrogance. Misunderstands basic political terminology and makes a prat of himself. Lets see if he comes back to his vomit this time, I doubt it tho.
"Basic political terminology" aka "our bullshit definitions only used by the loony fringes of the far left".
Willing to respect or accept behaviour or opinions different from one's own; open to new ideas:
Favourable to or respectful of individual rights and freedoms:
(in a political context) favouring individual liberty, free trade, and moderate political and social reform:
liberal - definition of liberal in English | Oxford Dictionaries

Id have said Apartheid South Africa more resembled Marxism with its shutting down of political freedoms, control of the press and its murdering of political opponents. Large components of Urban 75s vision of a perfect future.

Certainly more realistic than Trump's America being like Smiths Rhodesia. :D

Willing to respect or accept behaviour or opinions different from one's own; open to new ideas:
We can honestly say that Urban is not liberal.

It hates everyone and everything that thinks slightly different to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom