Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you use Android's call screening tool?

Nope i've never heard of this feature before but may try it out. Friends and family mostly whatsapp me anyway so should be ok. My landline always goes to the awnserphone.

They will always leave a message to call you back, in my experience.
I mean it's fairly difficult to notice the jobs that called and didn't leave a message. I had ones flagged as spam that were recruitment agencies..true to a point sometimes of course but not when they are calling about an application I made. Worse are the withheld numbers especially when I was applying to public sector.

The Mi Android version has crowdsourced tagging of spam callers, and once they've racked up enough reports they get cut off after one ring. Also can tag as delivery etc so you know to answer even if you don't recognise the number. Not seen the voice to text feature.

For people my age, it is a problem.

It's hard wired in us to answer the phone, because phone calls were rare and expensive. No one would be calling unless it's important.

When we lived in Tarbert on Harris, we had one of few phones in the West side of the village. People from the ex-pat community would call us and ask us to pass a message to their relative, who then went to the phone box and called them back.

I just hate my free time being suddenly imposed upon. What I’m doing in the moment takes priority over an incoming phone call, so it’s left to ring unanswered

I just hate my free time being suddenly imposed upon. What I’m doing in the moment takes priority over an incoming phone call, so it’s left to ring unanswered

I think that's ok. Everyone is different. As I said I call people but don't expect them to answer. I've actually got a voice mail message encouraging people to text or email me.

Just don't answer then or turn your phone on silent. Don't force them to listsn to some shit message.

I will call people without warning (depending on who they are) confident that if they are busy they just won't answer, like I wouldn't.
It's hardly a 'shit' message. It's a polite voice asking you to state your name and the reason for your call. You'd have to be ridiculously sensitive to get all offended by that if you were calling someone for the first time.

As someone who gets a load of both spam and first time callers, Call Screening has proved to be a brilliantly useful feature.

It's hardly a 'shit' message. It's a polite voice asking you to state your name and the reason for your call. You'd have to be ridiculously sensitive to get all offended by that if you were calling someone for the first time.

As someone who gets a load of both spam and first time callers, Call Screening has proved to be a brilliantly useful feature.

Any kind of recorded message is fustrating. Of course there's nothing wrong with this one as such. It's just flash backs to the horror of modern "customer services".

how do you turn this service on? Is it a Pixel thing only? I get the 'suspected spam', or 'scam' calls. Sometimes I answer and ask them why the number is flagged as 'suspected scam'

I just never answer the phone unless I know the number or am expecting a call on something.

And I'm with Orang Utan randomly calling people seems rude. I'm having a chat with a fried I haven't seen for a bit this weekend and we will arrange the time in advance. :)

how do you turn this service on? Is it a Pixel thing only? I get the 'suspected spam', or 'scam' calls. Sometimes I answer and ask them why the number is flagged as 'suspected scam'
Possilby. At least for automatic.

You might be able to screen manually

The answering service is a Pixel only feature. Because the dialer (which also answers calls) has to interface with different phone comms hardware in other devices, I don't think there's a 3rd party one you can install to do the same thing. It would be down to Samsung/OnePlus/Honor/Moto/Whatever to implement.

The answering service is a Pixel only feature. Because the dialer (which also answers calls) has to interface with different phone comms hardware in other devices, I don't think there's a 3rd party one you can install to do the same thing. It would be down to Samsung/OnePlus/Honor/Moto/Whatever to implement.

Is correct. Most mobile manufacturers add their own software on top of the Android software.

iPhone user here. I tend to just ignore calls where I don't recognize the number now. So many spamming knobbers using spoof locations in places like 'York' or 'Aberdeen' or somewhere that just end up being that crappy call center software to scam old people from India. Balls to answering them.

Back
Top Bottom