Are you an audiophile?

• Yes

Votes: 31 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 83 36.1%
  • Audiophiles are deluded bullshitters

Votes: 116 50.4%

• Total voters
I reckon you could just stick a mastering vst in a box, surround it in mystery and bullshit and make a fortune
You could just stick RCA inputs in a box and connect them directly to RCA outs, and these deluded fucks would start talking about improved soundstage and chocolatey warmth, and the more expensive it is, the better it will sound.

Right lads, it’s been a long, difficult journey. There’s been highs, lows, drama and heartbreak, but I’m pleased to say we’ve finally made it to the peak of Bullshit Mountain.

It’s just got 40lbs of copper in it hasn’t it.

Outstanding. Close the thread.

Not just a cable but a Music Hose®... have downloaded the manual :D - favourite line so far" When either the ACC 169 or173BW interfaces are installed in a top-tier system, a musical presentation will seem faster and begin to“pop” and “hang in space”,"....nothing more annoying than slow musical presentation tbf...should've put some red strips on the box

Can I ask a genuine question? Realise this is a pisstake thread… but someone may know the answer to this dilemma

I have a set of active speakers, these are in my living room and connected via optical to the tv. I also use these for Bluetoothing stuff off my phone etc. I’m happy with these speakers basically. They do exactly what I want with one exception below…

I also have a Cambridge audio cd deck and separate amp in this room, and a separate amp. Both bought second hand a while ago and originally used with some old passive speakers that I no longer have.

If I connect cd player -> amp -> active speaker aux I get no sound. When I had this set up with passive speakers I got sound, and could regulate this via the amp, and could have it a variety of levels, including the critical “not disturbing the neighbours late at night level”.

If I connect cd -> active speaker aux and bypass the amp, I get sound but even the lowest volume level on the active speaker is too loud for listening while considering neighbours. Would have to raise my voice to be heard above the music. I’m using the same cables. This lowest level is noticeably a lot quieter if listening via Bluetooth or another medium.

What’s the solution? Any help gratefully received :)

Can I ask a genuine question? Realise this is a pisstake thread… but someone may know the answer to this dilemma

I have a set of active speakers, these are in my living room and connected via optical to the tv. I also use these for Bluetoothing stuff off my phone etc. I’m happy with these speakers basically. They do exactly what I want with one exception below…

I also have a Cambridge audio cd deck and separate amp in this room, and a separate amp. Both bought second hand a while ago and originally used with some old passive speakers that I no longer have.

If I connect cd player -> amp -> active speaker aux I get no sound. When I had this set up with passive speakers I got sound, and could regulate this via the amp, and could have it a variety of levels, including the critical “not disturbing the neighbours late at night level”.

If I connect cd -> active speaker aux and bypass the amp, I get sound but even the lowest volume level on the active speaker is too loud for listening while considering neighbours. Would have to raise my voice to be heard above the music. I’m using the same cables. This lowest level is noticeably a lot quieter if listening via Bluetooth or another medium.

What’s the solution? Any help gratefully received :)
Unless it's a pass-through from the amp, or a line out, you're doing it wrong. Any input should come from the pre-amp, or direct from the CD player
Assuming it's RCA out, you could use something like these to control the volume.

Unless it's a pass-through from the amp, or a line out, you're doing it wrong. Any input should come from the pre-amp, or direct from the CD player
Assuming it's RCA out, you could use something like these to control the volume.
It is rca out into the active speaker. So that device basically functions as a volume control between cd player and active speaker :confused:

My conclusion is that if I retain this setup then I no longer need the amp

It is rca out into the active speaker. So that device basically functions as a volume control between cd player and active speaker :confused:

My conclusion is that if I retain this setup then I no longer need the amp
If you have active speakers, you don't need the amp.
I've just retired my Arcam amp, but I also retired my CD player, as I realised I'm living in this century :D

just bought myself a pair of pmc transmission line floorstanders.

should be with me by friday, will report.
A quick look suggests that at as much as £2k, these speakers are about 5-10% of the price they need to be to feature in this thread, preferably we'd be looking at speakers in the £100k plus range. like these beauties:

1726580981875.jpeg

Wilson Benesch Eminence​

$249,000​

his flagship speaker from England’s 43-year-old Wilson Benesch is a world-class performer that competes in the upper echelon of today’s loudspeakers. The unusual design (isobaric woofers, ultra-tall and narrow carbon fiber and aluminum enclosure, custom drivers) is an example of form following function. The bass is exquisitely detailed and resolved, revealing nuances of texture and dynamics in a way that is simply sensational. Dynamics are whip-fast without etch, and the soundstage is simply without peer. The top-to-bottom balance is spot-on. The Eminence is capable of completely disappearing in a way that unfailingly communicates the deepest musical expression. The bottom end favors speed and articulation over the last measure of weight and authority.

Some others here: Editors’ Choice: Loudspeakers $100,000 and Up - The Absolute Sound

worth every penny, who wants etch with their whip-fast dynamics??

(serious note: very happy for you as speakers really do make a difference to the sound and those look great... there's definitely a point where audiophilia kicks in with speakers though... )

Back
Top Bottom