Votes: 29 37.2%
  • Average

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • Bad

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Total dog shit

Votes: 21 26.9%

• Total voters
Somewhere in the film it dates itself to the summer of '94 or '95. Of course, - continuity error - the 'soundtrack album' (ie alleged to be the mix tape that is left in the car), includes tracks from 1996.

Broke the fourth wall as much as when I noticed some of the synths in the background of 24 Hour Party People during the New order scenes actually post-dated when it was supposed to take place. Might have been a DX-7.

I really don't care, especially considering the music never actually appeared in the film. Cash-in merchandise is not part of the canon of a film for me.

I didn't find the girl annoying. I liked her. The only one I found annoying was the guy who threw the map in the river. Why the fuck would you throw a map away?

That's always annoyed me too. I can't remember exactly, but I think they had to change their plans on the fly so they told him to say that he'd thrown it in the river.

Don't know if it related, but originally it was Mike who was supposed to disappear, but Josh the actor had tickets to a game or something so they wrote him out instead :D

Interesting. I'd never thought about it like that before but you might have just nailed down the reason I did like it: it left you wanting more!

How many horror films have you seen which start off scary and then drop off a cliff as soon as you see the monster(s)? Probably more than those which remain scary and leave you wanting more, I'd guess?
Unfortunately the film never really got scary for me and wasn't left wanting more, I still left wanting anything that was just a bit scary. The Paranormal Activity films, which are also found footage horror films and descendants if Blair Witch, also mostly work on suggestion, but they do work better for me. And sometimes monsters can work and the scariest thing in any found footage horror film for me is the skeletal possessed girl in REC.

I really don't care, especially considering the music never actually appeared in the film. Cash-in merchandise is not part of the canon of a film for me.

Thing for me is, that breaks the fourth wall. It was such an elaborately constructed multi-platform film - the website, the book etc. - and was designed as such to make it seem more real, more legitimate. Same as when authors sometimes put in false documentation (e quotes from what are supposed to be real life reports ) to make it seem more real and more believable.

However, when the whole world-view / universe falls apart due to what is, very clearly, things that could not possibly be in there, it breaks down the believability of the film, and makes me - at least - very acutely aware that it is evidently an artifical construct. Being a music geek, I find this all the time with films set in the eighties, and I hear tracks that came out three years after the film was set.

Whats the point of an elaborately constructed lie, a fabrication of authenticity, when it is so patently false and undone by such a stupid oversight?

I actually read the accompanying book first, which presented itself as the case notes of a detective 'investigating' the disappearance. Read it while on the Norfolk Broads, spending lots of nights tied up in the middle of nowhere next to dark, dark woods... :eek: :facepalm: :D

Why the fuck would you throw a map away?
I thought the whole film was a bit meh, but the map throwing away thing was, i thought, realistic. People lost in woods behave irrationally and there are (according to Bill Bryson) quite a few documented cases of lost hikers doing just this.

if i ever have the misfortune of ending up at a party full of them, that happened to me two years ago, ill be sure to ask them and post on here ...

I wasted time I'll never get back watching that film, although to be fair I can't say it's a bad film . Basically I didn't enjoy it.

I missed the hype for it and watched it in a virtually deserted cafe in the Malaysian jungle

Afterwards I walked back to my hut through the dark jungle . Not an experience I want to repeat

I'm not one to get creeped out easily by horror films but when the BWP came out I saw it the cinema at a late show after munching some hash cakes and I was absolutely shitting it....

Is anyone going to confess to getting motion sickness and hurling? :D

I always find it hard to believe that people have such tender constitutions and weak stomachs, but then I don't like sitting too close to the screen, so I've never had problems with that.

Didn't do too much for me, like. Wasn't scared. Although after me and The First Mrs. S☼I watched it and she was in the bathroom I turned our bedroom light off and stood in the corner with my head against the wall. She went fucking bananas at me for that :D

Good marketing/hype. Also good to see a low/no budget film do well. I enjoyed it once but would not bother again.

why is he stood in the corner? is the other one being tortured?
The abducted children were made to stand like that by the killer dude. Implication being that the spirit or whatever had taken him over.

In reality they directors had jumped him in the dark and told him to stand in the corner :D

It's weird (and slightly embarrassing) how much I remember from that commentary! Probably only listened to it once, maybe twice, and I'm notorious for forgetting details and the like. The human brain, eh?

I thought the whole film was a bit meh, but the map throwing away thing was, i thought, realistic. People lost in woods behave irrationally and there are (according to Bill Bryson) quite a few documented cases of lost hikers doing just this.
yeah that was great to me that bit. it is exactly how people act in psychosis. like you are not quite sure if they're messing around or really crazy.

Back
Top Bottom