Votes: 29 37.2%
  • Average

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • Bad

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Total dog shit

Votes: 21 26.9%

• Total voters
Funnily enough, the monster in Cloverfield was strongly inspired by Lovecraft. It looks like something straight out of Cuthulhu.

I thought it was more 'lifted straight out of' than 'inspired'. :hmm:

I thought it was more 'lifted straight out of' than 'inspired'. :hmm:

I'm not sure you can "lift it straight out of" when there was only a typically vague description, so I'd say it is Lovecraftian. There simply is no reliable visual source. There are a lot of horror films and monster movies that could be described as such without being based on an actual work of his. If you ignore the comedy aspects then Ghostbusters is very much a "Lovecraftian" film.

Stay-puft-marshmallow-man.jpg

:hmm: ;)

Reno said:
I'm not sure you can "lift it straight out of" when there was only a typically vague description, so I'd say it is Lovecraftian . There are a lot of horror films and monster movies that could be described as such without being based on an actual work of his. If you ignore the comedy aspects then Ghostbusters is very much a "Lovecraftian" film.

I know not lovrcraft but still.
The other day had just turned off a shite adaptation of The Turn of the Screw on lovefilm, got into bed with radio 4 extra on the radio and heard the names Flora and Miles, it was only on the radio :eek:
Shit me up that.

I'm not sure you can "lift it straight out of" when there was only a typically vague description

That's a good point - he (Lovecraft) was the first person I thought of when I saw Cloverfield but to say it was a carbon copy is going a bit far. I stand corrected!

I just found them really dull and they gave me no reason to like them. I cannot think of anything else to say, they were that dull.
It's fair enough to claim that they are bland and that the characterisation is lacking, but to ascribe to them characteristics that their actions and the film don't back up like Meh O'Naise does, strikes me as odd, unless they barely remember the film.

You are making claims of how they have no redeeming features, but could you point to any particular action of theirs that makes them so irredeemable.

I haven't got enough time to watch films I even like, let alone rewatch the ones I don't. Please don't make me watch it again. Last time I did that was Knight And Day....

I guess Evildead could be said to be inspired Lovecraft, what with the Book of the Dead.

Reno's set a chain of thought off

John Carpenter's In the Mouth of Madness, the excellent French horror film Malefique and the recent indie horror Absentia are all very much inspired by Lovecraft.

Firky said:
The Thing come to think of it has a whiff of Lovecraft about it.

Loved it, I expected it to be bigger than it was. I watched it twice within a week of seeing it.

The cabin in the woods was fucking brilliant :D

The cabin in the woods was fucking brilliant :D

Um, no. Pretentious, post-modern self-indulgent crap - and totally falls apart if you think about it in any sense at all. Such as, where the fuck does a secret underground base run in collaboration with demons get interns from? Where do the staff come from? Are they bussed in? Where is the infrastructure to support any of this? etc. Its a twist with no logic behind it, except for Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard to rub your noses in it insofar as how much smarter they are than you. I could go on and on about CITW though. I'm not actually expecting answers, but just think about it....

Believe it or not, I do actually *like* a lot of films, but in the horror genre in particular I am very very critical.

Meh O'Naise said:
Um, no. Pretentious, post-modern self-indulgent crap - and totally falls apart if you think about it in any sense at all. Such as, where the fuck does a secret underground base run in collaboration with demons get interns from? Where do the staff come from? Are they bussed in? Where is the infrastructure to support any of this? etc. Its a twist with no logic behind it, except for Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard to rub your noses in it insofar as how much smarter they are than you. I could go on and on about CITW though. I'm not actually expecting answers, but just think about it....

Believe it or not, I do actually *like* a lot of films, but in the horror genre in particular I am very very critical.

It's a total piss take.
Sorry did you miss that ;) :p

I dunno.
I have a great ability to suspend disbelief, even with quite "lame" films, if they get me right.
But I get what he is taking about.
Sometimes, for you /me personally, ability to do that is spoiled by something slight.
I can that can be very personal and something that won't spoil it for others.

It's bad wigs for me and more often then not, they are bad.

Such as, where the fuck does a secret underground base run in collaboration with demons get interns from? Where do the staff come from? Are they bussed in? Where is the infrastructure to support any of this?
Eh? Same way any secret organisation gets its members; interview or in some other way assess their suitability without giving away what its for, then if you like 'em for it fill them in on the real job. Or kill them.

Have you seen Men In Black? I think you'll find it very informative.

It's a total piss take.
Sorry did you miss that ;) :p

Believe me, I *get* that it is satire. (Such as the killing methods on the blackboard including "Kevin", for example).

Men In Black is obviously in the fantasy genre and doesn't even attempt to be remotely believable. Cabin In the Woods does.Oh, in Men In black they have Neuralyzers, which wipe the memory ; in Cabin In The Woods, no such thing.

I was disappointed with Cabin In the Woods because it was like "best horror film ever, reinvention of a genre" and it turned out to be nothing of the type ; just an example of lazy plotting, illogical and abundant with cliches. Subvert them all you like, but when you can write off sloppy, lazy and illogical writing as 'oh, its satire', next thing you know people will be making a case for Die Another Day as the ultimate PostModern Bond film when it was nothing of the kind.

I've got the immense man love for Joss Whedon , and I felt cheated. I haven't felt so cheated with a film since the gun-shooting sequence in Henke's Funny Games. So archly postmodern it becomes practically condescending.

Believe me, I *get* that it is satire. (Such as the killing methods on the blackboard including "Kevin", for example).

Men In Black is obviously in the fantasy genre and doesn't even attempt to be remotely believable. Cabin In the Woods does.Oh, in Men In black they have Neuralyzers, which wipe the memory ; in Cabin In The Woods, no such thing.

I was disappointed with Cabin In the Woods because it was like "best horror film ever, reinvention of a genre" and it turned out to be nothing of the type ; just an example of lazy plotting, illogical and abundant with cliches. Subvert them all you like, but when you can write off sloppy, lazy and illogical writing as 'oh, its satire', next thing you know people will be making a case for Die Another Day as the ultimate PostModern Bond film when it was nothing of the kind.

I've got the immense man love for Joss Whedon , and I felt cheated. I haven't felt so cheated with a film since the gun-shooting sequence in Henke's Funny Games. So archly postmodern it becomes practically condescending.

How is Cabin in the Woods any less of a fantasy than Men in Black ? Why do the neutralisers in MiB qualify that one as a fantasy which can get away with anything, but apparently a lab that houses every mythological monster possible and a climax that involves giant subterranean gods bringing on the apocalypse is not a fantasy and "illogical". The Cabin in the Woods never made any attempt to be believable for a moment. It takes the mickey out of horror films cliche, that's why its full of them.

Maybe you should just stay away from films that deconstruct the horror genre.

John Carpenter's In the Mouth of Madness, the excellent French horror film Malefique and the recent indie horror Absentia are all very much inspired by Lovecraft.
Is Absentia any good? I've seen it mentioned a few times in various places, but have never got round to watching it.
I guess Evildead could be said to be inspired Lovecraft, what with the Book of the Dead.

Reno's set a chain of thought off
Event Horizon is one of my favourite Lovecraftian style films

Is Absentia any good? I've seen it mentioned a few times in various places, but have never got round to watching it.

I really like it. It was funded via Kickstarter and it is a very low budget film and sometimes looks it, but it has a good story with an intriguing mystery and some good twists and turns.

It only does bit of decostructing for a couple of minutes in the holodeck sequence. The rest is the usually dumb slasher, only on a space ship.

I quite like it too though. :)

Yes, I liked the entire movie. Took the usual slasher genre and totally mocked it by turning it into "Jason....IN SPACE!". Might need to dig it out again, a viewing of it is overdue...

Back
Top Bottom