Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dick Sheppard School Tulse Hill

I ended up at Norwood, ooh how we hated St Martins, people were regularly shoved off the back of the 2B bus on the way home.

We called the Norwood girls - Norwood sllllaaaagggggs. :D Every school has it's rival. :D

The 2b always got messy by the time it got to outside saint martins and then the next stop with all the tulse hill boys.

I can remember having to go there in the early 90's to meet a client who was teaching at the School.

What surprised me was the fact that the main hall area was packed with kids on their lunch time break as it was nice weather outside and I commented on it to him. His reply, in a very matter of fact way, was that the School could not 'gurantee' the safety of the play grounds and so had set up this hall as a place that kids, who might feel vulnerable, could be protected in.

Did not everyone laugh at you for going to a school with dick in the name?

I would have at 12.

But then, I went to Salesain in Battersea with it's hideous pinky maroon blazers, so wouldn't have been one to talk.

I can remember having to go there in the early 90's to meet a client who was teaching at the School.

What surprised me was the fact that the main hall area was packed with kids on their lunch time break as it was nice weather outside and I commented on it to him. His reply, in a very matter of fact way, was that the School could not 'gurantee' the safety of the play grounds and so had set up this hall as a place that kids, who might feel vulnerable, could be protected in.

Jeez, it was bad enough when I was there, but it got worse.

My brother had to move up from Peterborough 'cause his dad had a breakdown, he was about 15 - he went to Dick Sheppard. Turned out later on he went exactly one day (this in about '89) and bunked off until he finishd school. Some kid sitting next to him in registration showed him a gun in his bag (probably just an airgun -they were pretty rife when I was there - we once had an airgun shoot-out in the playground - thank fuck ski-jackets/puffa jackets were all the rage), and that was that.

My schooldays remain the worst days of my life. Fuck I hated going to that school. The PE teacher once got put in hospital by some girls older brother after he lost a ring he was looking after. My second day of school some 5th grader was standing up in assembly making a public apology for boxing the (female) art teacher... people used to form into gangs in the playground and have massive running battles..

The Twin barber brothers from Coldharbour Lane were the king bullies in my year :) Luckily I was sort of mates with them - though one of them still twatted me in the jaw in art once - first time seeing stars for me.

You look up Dick Sheppard on FriendsReunited and it says 'see Wandsworth prison'.

I went to Ashby Mill ('70 - '76) then had a choice of Henry Thornton, Dick Shepperd or Tulse Hill:hmm:
Not too much to choose between them back then, none had a good reputation.

Ashby Mill in the 70s was great ,favourite school out of 4 I went to. Been converted to apartments.
Ended up at Henry Thornton afterwards, most of my mates ended up at the other 2, which was the worst school experience I had.

Used to get the cane - well, one of those green garden stick things which they split at the end for maximum pain, some teachers were terrified of some of the pupils. One lad in particular used to get kicked in the face most english lessons and the teacher would just sit with her head in her hands crying. And I remember a lot of the locals shops had signs in their windows saying" No Henry Thornton allowed".
Henry Thornton is now a college or something?

From the '70s-onward Dick Sheppard suffered from the same problems William Blake and Ernest Bevin schools over the border in Borough of Wandsworth did - it was used as a "sink" school for pupils who weren't disruptive enough to be referred to a support unit, but were disruptive enough that they were sent somewhere that, supposedly, their disruption would only affect other disruptive pupils.
It was probably one of the worst policies ever thought up by the Department of Education and forced on education authorities. It concentrated kids with learning issues such as dyslexia and kids with other developmental problems alongside kids who'd been booted out of their original school for violence or theft or the like. It made such schools powder kegs, which in turn made them very dangerous environments for the pupils and the staff.

a girl was raped at Dick Shit.
yes that was the school my wife went to.

does anyone remember a girl with the nickname of Maggot?
that place was fucked up.

Dick sheppard had its problems but them crooks lambeth sold them out for a quick buck just like they did to tulse hill school and Henry Thornton school i remember we use to call St Martins girls shool slag Martins u should of seen what they got up to after school in brockwell park

Please can you just write the initial of the girl, I am trying to find some personal things out without exposing too much. Please help.

Best of luck finding out what you need to, but just to point out that post was almost 3 years ago.

I attended Tulse Hill Comprehensive in the 70's. Dick Sheppard was seen as the "sister" school, and we also had 6th pupil exchanges for certain lessons with both Dick Sheppard and St Martins.

I was there when Muhammed Ali visited the school...

When Muhammad Ali wowed a South London school

MohammedAli4.jpg

...I believe that he went on to visit Dick Sheppard after he'd finished with us, but I haven't seen any references to it. Both my nieces went to St Martins.

I tracked down one of my classmates who is now a swami at the Neasden temple.

Reactions: CH1
...I believe that he went on to visit Dick Sheppard after he'd finished with us, but I haven't seen any references to it.

Possibly because it never happened?

Former Dick Sheppard pupils here are welcome to confirm or refute.

Possibly because it never happened?

Former Dick Sheppard pupils here are welcome to confirm or refute.
I suspect that you are right. I haven't seen any reports of it anywhere. He definitely came to THS though, I am right there in that picture...somewhere near the back.

Back
Top Bottom