Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dick Sheppard School Tulse Hill

banglo-saxon

Banned
Banned
Anyone remember this school in Tulse Hill? I went to it for a year in 1990. Its been knocked down and replaced by flats I think. When I was there the headmaster was the Lawrence chap who later hit national news when he was stabbed to death by a student.

Anyone remember this school in Tulse Hill? I went to it for a year in 1990. Its been knocked down and replaced by flats I think. When I was there the headmaster was the Lawrence chap who later hit national news when he was stabbed to death by a student.

I didn't know that.
I remember it, I had a few friends who went there. Is it true all the new year sevens got dangled upside down? :eek:

there's a few old threads on this IIRC. i reckon the school was knocked down and the flats went up about 1998/9.

The school you're talking about was bulldozed with the furniture still in it after a failed (last minute) attempt to get it listed as an example of 1950s school architecture. I remember seeing it there in the late 90s, with a row of mature cedar trees on the grass separating it from the road, but most of them have been removed.

The land is now covered by Brockwell Gate - IMHO built in a hurry (If you walked past the ponds in Brockewell Park, you'd've seen it go up extremely quickly) and overpriced for what it is. The "affordable housing" bit has silver tips on the front railing, and the other bit has gold tips.

I didn't realise that the late Phillip Lawrence had worked there.

Yes, Philip Lawrence was my headmaster. He was truely a nice man who always had a smile on his face.

But man, he was treated badly by the students who showed him practically zero respect. During assembly, he was always booed by the "rude boys"/"bad boys".

Despite only being there for a year, I still remember his face. I left because the bad reputation of the school.

Welcome!
I went Dick Sheppard from '82 to '87. Pre-tty rough it was, but it weren't a bad school at first but 10 years of fucked ILEA put paid to that like loads of others. Lawrence was deputy head when I was there, was quite the inspiration, used to do long rambling stories in assembly.

Yeah the selling, destruction and putting up of shit flats was a travesty, they did the same to Tulse Hill Boys too. Typical of the corrupt Lambeth council at the time.

Tim Roth went there too before my time.

I remember it when it was still standing.

There's a poster on here that lives in the flats. There's definitely one, there may even be two.

Do a search for Brockwell Gate and you might find them.

when I was there, there was so much disruption in class, fights in brockwell park and the playground. The recreation centre even had 2 arcade machines! I mean, arcade machines in a school. Just crazy!

I never knew it was originally a girls' school :confused:

dick-sheppard-school-01736-01-750.jpg

I'm went to saint martins in the fields school in Tulse hill between 1983 to 1989. We called kids who went to Dick Sheppards - dick shits. (Interestingly Dick Sheppard himself had been a vicar at the St Martins church in traf square). Tulse Hill boys school was down the road - when i was 14 the boys weren't allowed in their school at lunch time because there had been something like over 100 small fires in the building. Famous pupils of Tulse Hill boys - Ken Livingstone and Smiley Culture. Famous pupil of St Martins - Skin from skunk anasie.

St Martins in the fields was a girls school, I seem to recall? I think the uniform was brown. I remember thinking the girls looked soo attractive in that uniform when I used to seem some on the bus. :D

I was at kingsdale, But I remember doing 2 Gang shows at Dick Shepard school as part of the Cubs & scouts organization.
I also remember when it was closed, me & some friends hoping over the fence to get balls that where in the P.E room, it had squaters in it who told us to piss off.
I'm sure it had a pool that was stagnating, But maybe i dreamt that bit..

Yeah the selling, destruction and putting up of shit flats was a travesty, they did the same to Tulse Hill Boys too. Typical of the corrupt Lambeth council at the time.

But they were told, many times, that if they closed the two big secondary schools plus Ashby Mill primary and at least one other I've forgotten, and then built flats on the sites, there would be no school places for all the new people. They didn't listen and a generation of local kids have been bussed to Pimlico and various places in Wandsworth.

The pool was alright, we used it a few times in the summer holidays. I went to look round Dick Sheppard but the headmaster seemed knackered and someone let a stink bomb off in the corridors during the open day which put us off a touch. There were also jokes about people being hung out the windows :hmm:

I ended up at Norwood, ooh how we hated St Martins, people were regularly shoved off the back of the 2B bus on the way home.

My friends little brother was expelled from kingsdale for blowing up the science lab.

But they were told, many times, that if they closed the two big secondary schools plus Ashby Mill primary and at least one other I've forgotten, and then built flats on the sites, there would be no school places for all the new people. They didn't listen and a generation of local kids have been bussed to Pimlico and various places in Wandsworth.

Yep, but too many construction backhanders at stake, the corrupt cunts.

My mates little sister was expelled from St Martin's. She would've been fine at Dick Sheppard :)

Dick Shit?
My wife went there up until 90-something.
She said it got shut cos a girl got raped....

Back
Top Bottom