Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

DHFC Women's Team

Is the 500 figure based on full self-sufficiency? Ie no subsidy from the mens side of the operation?

Personally, I think there should be a willingness to speculate to accumulate with DHFCW. Morally it’s the right thing to do, the mens game having choked the womens for decades. But also strategically… DHFCM will only ever be at “best” a National League team, but if DHFCW were invested in now and shot up the leagues while the game is still growing they could easily establish themselves at a higher tier than the men will ever reach. Lewes are in the Championship for example!

I really liked the suggestion of restarting the 12th Man at both mens and womens games but all the proceeds go to the womens team where they would have way more impact.

Last edited:
Is the 500 figure based on full self-sufficiency? Ie no subsidy from the mens side of the operation?

Personally, I think there should be a willingness to speculate to accumulate with DHFCW. Morally it’s the right thing to do, the mens game having choked the womens for decades. But also strategically… DHFCM will only ever be at “best” a National League team, but if DHFCW were invested in now and shot up the leagues while the game is still growing they could easily establish themselves at a higher tier than the men will ever reach. Lewes are in the Championship for example!

I really liked the suggestion of restarting the 12th Man at both mens and womens games but all the proceeds go to the womens team where they would have way more impact.
I think so, but it was something I heard a while back so can't be sure and it may since have changed (up or down). Someone from the club would need to confirm. In fact it would be good to see what the running costs for putting on a womens match are because it's probably a lot more than we think once you account for every aspect that goes into putting games on at Champion Hill. Certainly a lot more than when the women's team were playing in a park under the Phoenix banner.

There's already a willingness to speculate to accumulate if we're not breaking even. I'd invest more in the womens team because as you say, there's a better chance of getting to a higher level and the women's game is only going to grow as far as I can see. Lewes supposedly pay their men and women equally and given that I guess teams below the Championship level don't pay players at all(?) then it could attract better quality players. I don't know if we'll ever get to that stage, but I guess its easier to do when the mens team is further down the pyramid and wages would be less.

Whilst I see the benefit in the speculate to accumulate model, there might come a point, as we've already seen with a few womens teams, where clubs just say it costs too much to run and they ditch them. So, the sooner you move to a self-sufficient model that argument doesn't stack up. If we ran the 12th man (might need to rename it?!) scheme again for the sole benefit of the womens team, then should the funds raised go directly to covering costs first, or does it open the door to start paying players?

Are season tickets valid for the cup match? I'm sure I've got in to women's cup games before with an ST, but not so sure that this was correct!

Draw tomorrow is it? Assume it’s still regional at this stage…?

Just to add. First time I’ve been in the TO stand for a Womens game. Very enjoyable, well done to the Rabble. Some good new songs - and nicely familiar tunes.

Great atmosphere today. I was a couple of minutes late and could hear the bus shelter stand (TOFFONS) from the other side of Dog Kennel Hill.

There's already a willingness to speculate to accumulate if we're not breaking even. I'd invest more in the womens team because as you say, there's a better chance of getting to a higher level and the women's game is only going to grow as far as I can see. Lewes supposedly pay their men and women equally and given that I guess teams below the Championship level don't pay players at all(?) then it could attract better quality players. I don't know if we'll ever get to that stage, but I guess its easier to do when the mens team is further down the pyramid and wages would be less.

On this subject, I was just watching the Peter Crouch episode yesterday where he meets up with the womens team and speaks to them about having their travel costs covered. I was a bit surprised to hear they don't even get their expenses paid for. Does anyone know if anything ever happened about that?

On this subject, I was just watching the Peter Crouch episode yesterday where he meets up with the womens team and speaks to them about having their travel costs covered. I was a bit surprised to hear they don't even get their expenses paid for. Does anyone know if anything ever happened about that?
No change. They are currently travelling to Bromley two evenings a week.

Lot of sore throats and sore heads after St Albans the day before but still a great afternoon. Good turnout and the women put on a high-scoring display. They seem to have hit a fearsome run of form.

Very amused and gleeful to discover that we made such a racket against Aylesford that one of their players asked the ref to intervene to make us be quiet 🤫

There’s two weeks before we play them in the Cup to come up with a song about that…

As fans, the Rabble haven't achieved such a feat since the mid 90s when neighbours at Sutton Utd moaned about the noise we we're making. I'm glad to see the old ways carry on. :D

As fans, the Rabble haven't achieved such a feat since the mid 90s when neighbours at Sutton Utd moaned about the noise we we're making. I'm glad to see the old ways carry on. :D
Midweek game at GGL. A steward came around to ask us to keep the noise down as one of Sutton’s neighbours claimed they were unable to hear EastEnders on the telly. Can’t recall exactly but think we might have burst into a rendition of the theme tune turned up to 11 at that point.

Back
Top Bottom