Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

DHFC v Maidstone United 26th October 2021 (k.o 7.45pm)

Defensively solid, but creatively inept. Great to have Ronnie Vint back.

Unfortunately, the problems with getting food at Dulwich are as bad or worse than ever. I got to the game an hour before kick-off, had a beer, then decided to go for the Greek food. Got to the stall 20 minutes before the game, but due to problems with their grill, they didn't start serving until kick-off. I then had to wait 35 minutes into the game to get served and there were only around 10-15 people in front of me. Granted, the food is excellent, but waits like this really aren't good enough for a football match. I've never experienced waits like this at any other football ground, but it's the norm at Dulwich (whichever food outlet I go to) and it massively affects my whole matchday experience. I've said this several times before on here and feel I'm talking into thin air: Dulwich, please get sufficient food outlets for the crowds you get! The current provisoion is woefully inadequate and you should have a t least double your current provision. I come to Dulwich to watch football, not to queue for over half an hour to get food. We've had this problem for the last few years, so FFS sort it out!

Final score 0-0.
Dunno about turgid. Hard fought, I'd say. Maybe I enjoyed it more as more people seemed to be actually watching the football. But I hate drums.
Personally, I love some drums. I think they really help to create atmosphere and act as a focal point for singing. We could do with a drum behind the goal.

Defensively solid, but creatively inept. Great to have Ronnie Vint back.

Unfortunately, the problems with getting food at Dulwich are as bad or worse than ever. I got to the game an hour before kick-off, had a beer, then decided to go for the Greek food. Got to the stall 20 minutes before the game, but due to problems with their grill, they didn't start serving until kick-off. I then had to wait 35 minutes into the game to get served and there were only around 10-15 people in front of me. Granted, the food is excellent, but waits like this really aren't good enough for a football match. I've never experienced waits like this at any other football ground, but it's the norm at Dulwich (whichever food outlet I go to) and it massively affects my whole matchday experience. I've said this several times before on here and feel I'm talking into thin air: Dulwich, please get sufficient food outlets for the crowds you get! The current provisoion is woefully inadequate and you should have a t least double your current provision. I come to Dulwich to watch football, not to queue for over half an hour to get food. We've had this problem for the last few years, so FFS sort it out!
Agree its poor, bought a burger the other week. £8 bloke gave me a ticket, took my name and said he'd give me a shout when it was ready. Hilarious. Also told me he couldnt take cash because the club would only do contactless to check sales? To have a food outlet for 2000+ is a decent turnover for stalls I would have thought. We can get beer from every corner and and Haloumi fries . Try getting a Bovril and a pie. Probably doesnt fit with our strategy and vision. This'll get moved to the 'make DHFC a better place thread'

Agree its poor, bought a burger the other week. £8 bloke gave me a ticket, took my name and said he'd give me a shout when it was ready. Hilarious. Also told me he couldnt take cash because the club would only do contactless to check sales? To have a food outlet for 2000+ is a decent turnover for stalls I would have thought. We can get beer from every corner and and Haloumi fries . Try getting a Bovril and a pie. Probably doesnt fit with our strategy and vision. This'll get moved to the 'make DHFC a better place thread'

Regarding the turnover - I think the club might take a percentage cut of the sales, hence wanting to check the amounts electronically but not sure and to find out you will have to try discord :D

Regarding the turnover - I think the club might take a percentage cut of the sales, hence wanting to check the amounts electronically but not sure and to find out you will have to try discord :D
I've emailed Tom Cullen about the whole catering issue, with some suggestions/solutions. Let's see what the club say!

If it's your thing, you can get a pie and a tea from under the stand. It's the standard football ground cheap Pukka Pie - a massive downgrade in my opinion on Pieminster.

However, I concur with your views on the burger people. The burgers are tasty (if small for the cost) but they are far too slow and it doesn't seem like they've catered for crowds this size.

On to the game itself. I think both managers got their tactics wrong - and I said to my mate after 20 minutes that it was going to be 0-0. Each deployed a lone striker up against big centre backs and not really supported by wingers who hugged the touchline. Surely when one winger is on the touchline the other side guy should be trying to get to the back post?

Maidstone are solidly marshalled, coached and drilled, but I couldn't watch them every week. Their sole attacking aim seemed to be to get the ball down the channel to the left wing. The one time they did get to the right wing and get it in was the one I think Higgs cleared off the line.

I didn't think we were that bad. However, Higgs isn't a right wing back and is clearly out of position - he doesn't really look to go down the line or beyond people. I appreciate a poor decision from Barnum-Bobb cost us a goal against Billericay but Gavin Rose, if you're reading this, he's a better right back than Higgs. If we are playing 3-5-2 we can afford our wing backs a little bit more positional latitude than in a 4-3-3 because we have cover.

With a little bit more fortune (our best chance not falling to Vint, Mills making Green's cross) we'd have got a goal and the three points. AJ Harris-Sealey tried a bit too hard coming on - obvious talent but can't win the game on your own mate!

I think both sides were pretty content with a point and both seemed to lack ideas going forward.

Shame that our best chance fell to Vint but the defence looks a lot more sure with him back at the back.

Take it and move on.

2000 seemed just the right number in terms of attendance. Was comfortable and a good atmosphere.

Good atmosphere last night, but it was another uninspiring performance at home in front of a big crowd.

Three years into this league and I'm still struggling to form any sort of positive relationship with the players. No one seems to have any character these days, just turn up, play the match and leave. Mills, Quade and Charlie Grainger the exceptions perhaps.

Interviews would help - would be great to hear from Vint for example on why he chose to come back, what his hopes are for the season etc.

But also on the pitch, doing something cheeky or skillful, acknowledging the fans, sharing a laugh etc.

Rare mid week game
surprised at (record) attendance, big lines still after kick off, despite expectations of good Stones turnout
good atmosphere and certainly Rabble in much better form (credit to Stones for their noise throughout the game - loved the drum - drums can on the right occasion can be great - just not every game)

Spoke to a few Stones fans - they felt they were better than Saturday but never looked like scoring, impressed at attendance just slightly disappointed in a few of their own fans labelling them "plonkers"
but as seems to be the case with Stones fans much mutual respect for the both clubs

Went to the bar after the game, surprisingly empty (and listened to the remaining Rabble sing for 20 mins after the game finished - very old skool
saw long lines for food already referred to, but to be fair don't think anyone expected 2,000 plus attendance also have you tried to eat out recently - no staff is having a serious impact

Hamlet , again to many long balls but could have nicked it, but probably draw fair result

moving forward

If it's your thing, you can get a pie and a tea from under the stand. It's the standard football ground cheap Pukka Pie - a massive downgrade in my opinion on Pieminster.

However, I concur with your views on the burger people. The burgers are tasty (if small for the cost) but they are far too slow and it doesn't seem like they've catered for crowds this size.

On to the game itself. I think both managers got their tactics wrong - and I said to my mate after 20 minutes that it was going to be 0-0. Each deployed a lone striker up against big centre backs and not really supported by wingers who hugged the touchline. Surely when one winger is on the touchline the other side guy should be trying to get to the back post?

Maidstone are solidly marshalled, coached and drilled, but I couldn't watch them every week. Their sole attacking aim seemed to be to get the ball down the channel to the left wing. The one time they did get to the right wing and get it in was the one I think Higgs cleared off the line.

I didn't think we were that bad. However, Higgs isn't a right wing back and is clearly out of position - he doesn't really look to go down the line or beyond people. I appreciate a poor decision from Barnum-Bobb cost us a goal against Billericay but Gavin Rose, if you're reading this, he's a better right back than Higgs. If we are playing 3-5-2 we can afford our wing backs a little bit more positional latitude than in a 4-3-3 because we have cover.

With a little bit more fortune (our best chance not falling to Vint, Mills making Green's cross) we'd have got a goal and the three points. AJ Harris-Sealey tried a bit too hard coming on - obvious talent but can't win the game on your own mate!
Football is a game of opinions but I really can't help but disagree with the point made on Higgs! I have to admit I was very surprised when I saw him starting at wing back on Saturday, but as mentioned in the previous match thread I thought he was absolutely brilliant and he was most definitely up and down the wing, albeit he does not do it at a pace we may be used to. I think his delivery is brilliant and defender really well against a good player in Roarie Deacon yesterday.

Agree perhaps he doesn't always look to beat a man, but I think that may be because he knows his limits and with Mills in the box see's it a better option to actually deliver rather than beat a man & cut back in several times (something most wingers seem to adore doing).

Like I say, game of opinions, but I for one would not be unhappy to see Higgs starting ahead of Barnum-Bobb at wing back this weekend.

It's not just that Higgs doesn't go down the line himself, he doesn't look to send the ball that way either, leading to a congested midfield. I've played out of my natural position myself and I do sympathise (one particularly tough run out for the Tartan Army select in central midfield v Sweden being a prime example). Last night it made it too easy to crowd us out.

Good atmosphere last night, but it was another uninspiring performance at home in front of a big crowd.

Three years into this league and I'm still struggling to form any sort of positive relationship with the players. No one seems to have any character these days, just turn up, play the match and leave. Mills, Quade and Charlie Grainger the exceptions perhaps.

Interviews would help - would be great to hear from Vint for example on why he chose to come back, what his hopes are for the season etc.

But also on the pitch, doing something cheeky or skillful, acknowledging the fans, sharing a laugh etc.
Completely agree with the three players mentioned. The only other one I'd add would be Sanchez who always makes time as well.

Timlin tends to lead the applause at the end of the game, but that's me really clutching at strings I think.

Completely agree with the three players mentioned. The only other one I'd add would be Sanchez who always makes time as well.

Timlin tends to lead the applause at the end of the game, but that's me really clutching at strings I think.
I'd also add Jack Holland to that. After some of the games this season, I've seen him in either bar thanking supporters for coming to support the team and making time to talk to fans

I'd also add Jack Holland to that. After some of the games this season, I've seen him in either bar thanking supporters for coming to support the team and making time to talk to fans
That's good, I like that. I'm never in the bar after the game so wouldn't have seen but good to hear, especially considering he is club captain.

That's good, I like that. I'm never in the bar after the game so wouldn't have seen but good to hear, especially considering he is club captain.
He stood behind the goal with your man Higgs earlier in the season when they were both injured too.

Imagine the applauding the crowd bit will become a bit less performative if supporters make some noise during the game, as per Tuesday and Braintree (to a lesser extent). I gather some of the players have been baffled by the disconnect between numbers attending games and the lack of active support in games. That doesn't stretch the imagination.

He stood behind the goal with your man Higgs earlier in the season when they were both injured too.

Imagine the applauding the crowd bit will become a bit less performative if supporters make some noise during the game, as per Tuesday and Braintree (to a lesser extent). I gather some of the players have been baffled by the disconnect between numbers attending games and the lack of active support in games. That doesn't stretch the imagination.
Hope they were as baffled by their performance against Bedfont

Reactions: EDC
My first visit since 2019, I think. Largely came because I saw that you'd signed Ricky 'De Niro' German and I was intrigued to see if his work-rate had increased any since he left Hendon for Crawley nearly three years ago. Alas, a wasted journey on that score, but always good to catch up with Blitzwalker and one or two others I've met on my travels south of the river.

I thought the game was keenly contested and very even. Dulwich shaded the first half and Maidstone the second, but neither goalkeeper was really forced to earn their money this time around and I'm not sure either side would have scored were the match still in progress now.

I've read with interest some of the threads around crowd sizes and the atmosphere at Champion Hill. I've attended a couple of matches there over the years that have been uncomfortable for someone more interested in the game than getting a pint (although I don't turn down the offer of a beer that often!) The ground is, understandably, not designed for crowds of 2k-plus. Thinking about it today, in the best way possible, I'm pleased our play-off final match was at Tooting. 3,300-ish and there was no issues for the vast majority with finding a vantage point. Had it been at CH, it would probably not have remained so high on the list of highlights of some Hendon folk, even in defeat. But, I'm sure that the new ground will reflect that as best it can.

As for the matchday experience itself - a curious one. Access to pints was good - I don't think I had to wait more than five minutes to get served at either of the outside bars on the clubhouse - and the extra toilet provision is obviously a wise (and necessary) provision. I really like what's been done with the main bar too, it's got a really good feel to it. On the flip side in my wanderings I did overhear a few unsavoury and unbecoming comments from a couple of clusters of spectators. The make-up of the crowd did feel a little different to some extent than on previous visits, it's difficult to pinpoint exactly how and why.. Perhaps a few more pockets aboard the Tim Lovejoy-style Banterbus than before?

It's also been interesting reading about the reaction to the link-up with Peter Crouch. From the outside looking in, it's great seeing such a high-profile guy apparently giving something back to a club that helped him on its way. That said, it's been equally difficult to square DHFC's commendable anti-gambling stance with his regular advertising stints with a well-known alliterative bookies. I think - and certainly hope - that the benefits will outweigh any drawbacks for the football club but I must admit, I did read with mild amusement the comment in another thread stating that the filming is to document PC's attempts to turn around a struggling grassroots club. Man, I wish Hendon had a fraction of Dulwich's struggles 😅

Should both sides win their next London Senior Cup ties, I think we're destined to meet in the Quarter Finals at SJP - I hope that's the case. Always a pleasure playing host to you.

perhaps Messrs. Mills et al might like to try celebrating goals with the fans rather than the bench ...

Maybe ask them to, as I suspect they might not spend much time on here. I'm not defending the shambles this club has become.
It's a bit off that fans should have to request that players pay them some attention when they've scored goals, no?

It's not a new situation at Hamlet, and I'm struggling to think of any other club at our level who has the same ridiculous problem.

It's a bit off that fans should have to request that players pay them some attention when they've scored goals, no?

It's not a new situation at Hamlet, and I'm struggling to think of any other club at our level who has the same ridiculous problem.

Well, there's one constant in that situation, and it's not the players given the amount of them we go through....and we've all seen how one mistake can see you out the team for weeks

Maybe ask them to, as I suspect they might not spend much time on here. I'm not defending the shambles this club has become.

It's amazing that it can often be this simple. It might be a bit daunting for a young player to dive into a load of randoms who are mostly idly chatting and drinking beer.

I remember this issue a few years back and talked to Michael Kamara about it. He said it was a good point and would see what he could do. We scored at Met Police in next match and most of them then came over to the barrier when they scored. A couple were being a bit sarcastic about it... which was quite funny in itself.

2nd bottom picture Dulwich Hamlet look pretty in pink as they dish out a Met Police thumping

Ask a couple of leading players, and see if it changes.

Bring it on...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom