Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Devon is beautiful

Orang Utan

Psychick Worrier Ov Geyoor
Who knew?
Just spent the weekend staying in Newton Abbott but visiting Dawlish and Shaldon. What a lovely area. I saw a stoat and many new birds! Teignmouth Bay and Ness Beach are stunning. Loved the brick smugglers' tunnels.
I wouldn't want to live there but I'm going back there next year for cycling and wildlife spotting.
Where else is nice to look at and full of nature?

I love Devon too, and I'm particularly fond of the area around the Kingsbridge estuary and east from there to Dartmouth.

Dorset. It's even got a song about how beautiful it is.

The Purbecks are lovely. Very popular for cyclists.

The coastline is gorgeous, a mix of sandy beaches and rocky coves and bays. Wonderful pubs, nice campsites, ours had badgers.
*spits drink over phone*

Are you quoting nature? :eek::hmm::D

If that includes campsites, beaches and pubs yes. I'm not a complete towny you know! ;)

Well, ummm, up til now you've been Melman off Madagascar 'Nature; it's all around me, get it off' :D

I'll embrace the nature you... you've blates never showed me before eh?

I liked Devon when I went on holiday there as a kid. We stayed in Okehampton, and did a lot of walking stuff on Dartmoor which was good. Not been since - that was 30 odd years ago. Dorset is lovely too - definitely worth a visit - the SW is a lovely part of the world. :)

It's fantastic here in Cornwall atm. Tourist season is coming to an end but we're getting some nice late-Summer weather and out walking you barely see another soul, I was out with my brother around Mulfra Quoit and Bodrifty yesterday and we met the grand total of three people in the four hours or so we were out.

A small bit of the view from Mulfra, looking towards the Lizard Peninsula:

page35-1005-full.jpg

You can just make out the top of the island of St Michaels Mount in the middle of Mounts Bay.

I love Cornwall best out of season when there is hardly anyone around. Newquay in the summer would be my idea of hell, but in the winter when it is just us and a few old folk on their coach holidays, it suits me just fine.

My sister lives in between looe and polperro and hates it that she can't wander into town during summer. Parking is Crap at both places and the buses aren't much better.

Lovely out of season though.

It's a gorgeous part of the world. We went to Torquay and Brixham and the surrounding bits and it was lovely.

We're going to Woolacombe next week. Really looking forward to it.

Is that near you Voley
No that's in Devon. Sounds nice though - if you get some of the weather we're getting just now you should be able to enjoy that nice beach. I live right near Lands End. Keep going much further than my house and you'll fall off.

The coastline is gorgeous, a mix of sandy beaches and rocky coves and bays. Wonderful pubs, nice campsites, ours had badgers.
this^^^ just been in Dorset for a week, visited Arne RSPB reserve - saw Spoonbills, saw Pergrin Falcons being mobbed by Sand Martins off Portland Bill:thumbs: and went to my fave pub briefly as I was driving - The Square and Compass in Worth Matravers :cool:

It's got some good cliffs. Well, it has the World Heritage Site Jurassic Coast as people will be happy to tell you. I'm afraid I find a lot of the rest quite flat and dull, but that might be biased by my normally encountering it on long train journeys to see my parents.

In Devon. Couldn't give a shit about the lesser neighbour. :p

Thanks for the recommendations for other counties but the clue is in the thread title. Where else in Devon should I pay a visit?

Woollacombe/Croyde is nice. I prefer the north coast myself, more rugged. It's harder to get to though unless you have a car.

I love Cornwall best out of season when there is hardly anyone around. Newquay in the summer would be my idea of hell, but in the winter when it is just us and a few old folk on their coach holidays, it suits me just fine.

most people who livehere love cornwall best out of season. we're getting ot the best bit, kids back at school so it's quieter but still realy nice. it makes emmet season and the horizontal rain of the winter worthwhile

There are some lovely hidden places. For example, Burrator Reservoir is well worth a visit, but I'm not sure you have access to a vehicle? That might limit you a bit.

From Plymouth station, and accessible by bike, I would recommend maybe heading for the coast - you can get ferries from there if you like to Turnchapel and ride to Bovisand. I think you'd like that. There are pasty shops there too. And you could probably ride to Wembury and Heybrook Bay. They're not just for the beach, they're quite green too.

If you have a car I have lots more recommendations because, sadly, Devon is really lacking in stations.

this^^^ just been in Dorset for a week, visited Arne RSPB reserve - saw Spoonbills, saw Pergrin Falcons being mobbed by Sand Martins off Portland Bill:thumbs: and went to my fave pub briefly as I was driving - The Square and Compass in Worth Matravers :cool:
I was sailing off Portland Bill last Monday :cool:

It's a pretty weird place tbh

There are some lovely hidden places. For example, Burrator Reservoir is well worth a visit, but I'm not sure you have access to a vehicle? That might limit you a bit.

From Plymouth station, and accessible by bike, I would recommend maybe heading for the coast - you can get ferries from there if you like to Turnchapel and ride to Bovisand. I think you'd like that. There are pasty shops there too. And you could probably ride to Wembury and Heybrook Bay. They're not just for the beach, they're quite green too.

If you have a car I have lots more recommendations because, sadly, Devon is really lacking in stations.
Surely you can cycle anywhere in Devon? What's the difficulty in getting to Burrator Reservoir?

Devon is beautiful though :thumbs: one side of my family is old skool Devon farmers. Spent many happy Christmases there - got snowed in for a week once, the lanes round the farm were full of snow right to the top of the hedges at the side :eek: It was exciting for a 6 yr old me, we had to melt snow for water, chop wood for the stove, and on Christmas Eve we had a visit from the actual, real, Father Christmas :cool: He looked quite like the farm manager who lived in the cottage down the road but this guy had a beard and a fat belly so we knew he was real :)

Good times :thumbs::)

Back
Top Bottom