Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Del Amitri frontman Justin Currie diagnosed with Parkinson's disease

editor

hiraethified
I know thew band isn't to everyone's tastes but I've enjoyed some of their songs and he always seemed a likeably guy.

It must be a horrible thing to go through, particularly if you're the lead singer with all eyes on you.....

The frontman of Scottish rock band Del Amitri has revealed in an interview he has been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease.

Justin Currie from Glasgow confirmed he was diagnosed with the brain condition after suspecting an issue when he was having trouble holding the plectrum for his guitar.

Del Amitri, best known for hits such as Nothing Ever Happens and Roll to Me, reformed in 2014 and are due to support Simple Minds during their upcoming European tour.

In an interview on BBC Radio 4, the musician said: “When you are doing something you know really well, like riding a bike or something and you suddenly can’t do it properly anymore – you think you’re going mad.

“I was spending the whole time on tour, when I was still playing the guitar on this song, just thinking about where the plectrum was between my fingers, and when you start thinking about things like that then all the other stuff just starts falling apart.”
He added: “As lead singer and song writing leader steadiness has been my strongest suit.

“I might be a mediocrity, but I’m always there and reliable. Now I’m somewhere else, distracted and flaky.

Always liked "Nothing Ever Happens"

Shitty disease but the treatments are improving. There's been a lot of recent resesrch into the effects of cannibis on calming the Parknson shake.

This is shitty news for anyone.

I heard this on Radio 4 the other week - quite an interesting insight from someone with the condition

Back
Top Bottom