Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Deer and how to deal with them

Much discussed in rural areas for a while. More deer in the UK than at any point since before the last ice age or something . They nom everything in sight

Recently on Jura. They are everywhere. The island essential consists of 5 estates than own the place but look to have no appetite to limit deer numbers .there’s thousands of them .

So Wolves

What is to be done ?

I think I would favour a mix of predators and culling.

There are areas of the country where lynx and wolves could be introduced without too many issues from farmers and pet-owners who are concerned their profits would suffer or Tibbles getting ripped to shreds.

But, in more densely populated areas I would suspect culling would be more appropriate. However, like DotCommunist said, I wouldn't want to see culling as a rich man's 'sport' as there's enough of that already. It should be someone with a licence to hunt/cull the deer for consumption (if suitable).

Some sort of sterilisation if possible. They're a menace if uncontrolled, and they encourage ticks. Not really in favour of wolves or shooting but as a last resort I'd go for culling by rifle.

the solution is feed Monbidiot to the wolves before he borrows and pimps any other second hand “Environmental solutions”

I think to a large extent the 'shooting deer is a posh boys hobby' is a myth - yes, lots of estates make lots of money selling shooting experiences to a fairly small number of very rich people who buy £3k's with a tweed shooting suit the week before - but the vast majority of deer shot are shot by professional stalkers for employment. It's not unusual to see professional stalkers with 15/20 deer in the back of the pickup after a morning's shooting, while Rodney Ffeatherston-Smythe is paying £2k for one mornings stalking where he might get one shot off.

Where I live the forestry commission shoot several hundred a year. The blokes who do it are a band D Civil Servants.

Lynx could live happily pretty much anywhere where there's forest - they are very shy, and PHP they take very few lambs. Certainly a tiny proportion of the number foxes take. They'd thin down the deer population big time - it's not that they'd take adults, but they hit the young deer and the grey squirrels.

Reintroduce wolves and bears.

Polar bears will need new homes due to climate change so bring thousands of these to the UK too.

Farmerbarleymow will need a new home soon due to climate change so move to the north pole. For the weather like. Perhaps we could start an exchange program with the polar bears? :p

I think to a large extent the 'shooting deer is a posh boys hobby' is a myth - yes, lots of estates make lots of money selling shooting experiences to a fairly small number of very rich people who buy £3k's with a tweed shooting suit the week before - but the vast majority of deer shot are shot by professional stalkers for employment. It's not unusual to see professional stalkers with 15/20 deer in the back of the pickup after a morning's shooting, while Rodney Ffeatherston-Smythe is paying £2k for one mornings stalking where he might get one shot off.

Where I live the forestry commission shoot several hundred a year. The blokes who do it are a band D Civil Servants.

Lynx could live happily pretty much anywhere where there's forest - they are very shy, and PHP they take very few lambs. Certainly a tiny proportion of the number foxes take. They'd thin down the deer population big time - it's not that they'd take adults, but they hit the young deer and the grey squirrels.
My family are poor farmers from the North East of Scotland. They hunt and shoot dear all the time and it's not for the lols.

The perception of hunting as some bloodthirsty posh boys' activity is something peculiar to the UK, it's not something inherent to it. In many other countries it's seen as a way for rural dwellers to get cheap yet healthy protein. There's no reason we couldn't develop a more populist hunting culture here in the UK, if deer numbers continue to be a problem and introducing predators doesn't do enough to keep them down. Which considering the lack of truly wild spaces in this country, it probably won't.

Anti-hunting attitudes are eye-rollingly hypocritical coming from anyone who eats farmed meat. Sustainable hunting is just as valid a means of sourcing animal protein as rearing it is.

Back
Top Bottom