Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dazzle wartime camouflage

Instead of painting patterns on the ships they should just have painted lots of ships and made the fleet look bigger. :)

In a similar vein, an utterly mental "digital" camo Super Hornet...

1796366.jpg

The point of Dazzle was to bugger up split-ring range-finders on submarine periscopes.
Is there a similar purpose to camo on that Super Hornet, or is it just meant to look :cool:

GS(v)

The point of Dazzle was to bugger up split-ring range-finders on submarine periscopes.
Is there a similar purpose to camo on that Super Hornet, or is it just meant to look :cool:

GS(v)

It's just for the awesomeness.

The USN also do kewl WW2 "throwback" schemes...

5480233355_1306bcdae7.jpg

Fairy-dos! Sorry I sounded arsey - had just bashed out a necessarily arsey email to our "Diversity Business Partner".

GS(v)

the american military doesnt do much well but it does have the coolest callsigns and paint schemes.

e.g.

british army: charlie ten alpha

us army: Killzone actual

the american military doesnt do much well but it does have the coolest callsigns and paint schemes.

The Germans and Japanese are good at special schemes too.

Tornado IDS from Aufklärungsgeschwader 51 „Immelmann“

1555869.jpg

Mt. Fuji/Cherry Blossom F-15 from 305 Squadron/JASDF

50years-1.jpg

This GR2... well.. words fail me... what were they thinking with this extravegansa of colour and design...

Tally that bogey, Pingu, that's a GR.4.

Two more cool ones...

Slovakian digital Fulcrum
AIR_MiG-29_Slovakian_Digital_Thunder_Camo_lg.jpg

Splinter desert camo Bombcat - "The Thief of Baghdad"
4TOB_HBOTW.jpg

Dazzle was also used on some factories and their shadows, but some patterns were more like field boundaries.
(can't find the pics I remember about this, will post if/when I do find them)

Another distraction / camo' scheme was something called "starfish" - which pretended to a be a bombed area on fire, which also worked quite well at attracting attacks.

we had a couple of landies painted in the Berlin scheme, it was remarkably effective in urban areas. they were also ranted to fuck having been used by the cav who apparently still don't know what a gearbox is for - horses not having them....

images
Canadian hornets have a canopy painted underneath so in a dogfight you might not know which way it is up the most modern version of dazzle camo I guess. No idea if it works or not. Guess no sky god will admit to being fooled by it.

Back
Top Bottom