Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

DAC Direct Air Capture

weltweit

This is a project of DAC in Scotland, encouraging and a signpost potentially for the future.

There is another project in Europe of a greater capacity I am trying to find the article atm.

Even if this works, and scales up, it's never going to capture more than a small percentage of current emissions. A distraction from the basic need to stop burning fossil fuels.

Even if this works, and scales up, it's never going to capture more than a small percentage of current emissions. A distraction from the basic need to stop burning fossil fuels.
It doesn't make sense unless also emissions are reduced.

No point in putting it up there only to take a small amount of it out.

weltweit
Were you listening to Radio4 about half hour ago? They had a guy on from Climeworks talking about their system.

This isn't a solution for now. This is see if the tech can work and is scalable. Not instead of reducing emissions.

This isn't a solution for now. This is see if the tech can work and is scalable. Not instead of reducing emissions.
If we stop all emissions right now (which is impossible obviously) there would still be a need to take carbon out of the atmosphere to reverse the greenhouse gas build up we already made and this is where these technologies would come in.

No, I missed that, was it interesting?

I was reading about a project in The Engineer last week but I can't find it now.

It was. They couldn't go in depth, only half hour thing on the technology in general. Bottom line is it's no magic solution and the cost of scaling up to anything that will make a real difference is vastly more than cutting emissions now. However, I think these projects and the science should be developed. We're gonna need to fight this from every angle.
It's this show:

If we stop all emissions right now (which is impossible obviously) there would still be a need to take carbon out of the atmosphere to reverse the greenhouse gas build up we already made and this is where these technologies would come in.

I don't disagree. But if it draws funding away from development of renewable energy, general better management, protection for habitats, it could do more harm than good. That's the stuff we need to do at scale, right now.

Back
Top Bottom