Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crystal Palace - news and discussion

tommers said:
GAH!!! WILL IT EVER END?
if I leave st reatham, CP is next on me list after sydenham. easy run through to cla'am junction, good pubs 'n' caffs, gorgeous park, at least one seriously good indian joint

Red Jezza said:
if I leave st reatham, CP is next on me list after sydenham. easy run through to cla'am junction, good pubs 'n' caffs, gorgeous park, at least one seriously good indian joint

*shakes head sadly*

the lies you tell to keep people out of sydenham.

why? why deny them the joy of that gloriously beleafed suburb??

tommers said:
*shakes head sadly*

Well, Kirkdale is pretty cool. But that's really upper Sydenham. :)

Central Sydenham - and especially Lower Sydenham - is. Fucking. Horrid! :eek:

There's nowt going on! :(

The curry house I recommended was the Gurkha Cottage, which was really just a recommendation from the AP passed on. Lovely food, great place. I think the pub we went to was the Alma (??), which was cool. I like CP - also a short walk from Gypsy Hill. I assume that a certain punk rock loving person you work with still lives there sonik - why don't you ask him?

:)

ianw said:
The curry house I recommended was the Gurkha Cottage, which was really just a recommendation from the AP passed on. Lovely food, great place. I think the pub we went to was the Alma (??), which was cool.
Aye, 'twas the one! :) Apparently changing hands soon with a view to becoming a serious music venue! :cool:

hipipol said:
Over fucking rated
,the streets patrolled by inbreed feral knock off sports apparel draped shaven headed half wits
Lovely

I hope your not referring to me....:rolleyes: ;) as a resident of the area i can`t recall seeing any of those things.....
And your location is i would assume from the gravitas of your post a utopian
paradise.....where you living...Belmarsh?

acid priest said:
Aye, 'twas the one! :) Apparently changing hands soon with a view to becoming a serious music venue! :cool:

The Alma? Really? What are they going to do with all the open mic posse?! Tried out the Gurkha Cottage the other night for the first time and was very impressed. Gorgeous food.
Crystal Palace is bloomin great.

CP is a lovely area but sadly i am selling up and moving to the warmer climate of costa del downham.

there are still a few interesting places/shops etc and I am sure the area will continue to become trendified as ever but I miss the old undiscovered down at heel CP, when we had a farm in park and loads of second hand/junk shops as well as a more arty/earthy feel to the area.

I have some freinds who put on a skate/bmx meet every weds night here are the details

Hello everybody...
> Today is Wednesday again, and the good people of Crystal Palace have
> once again neglected that they have one of the best parks in London on
> their doorstep... This bizarre situation means that we are trying to
> encourage a regular banty of skateboarders, musicians, drunks,
> onlookers, dog-walkers, tramps, artists, poets, medical students and
> first-aiders, clowns, roller skate/bladers, cyclists, graffiti artists,
> fire-jugglers, break-dancers, ballet dancers, longboarders,
> kiteboarders, disco-kings/queens, ravers, rastas, punks, goths, social
> outcasts and unclassifiable a-sexual humanoids (oh and rust-repairers),
> to come and fill the void that is Crystal Palace Park on such a
> beautiful day as today!
> So, whatever your excuse for NOT coming, cut it out of your cerebal
> system (jon will do it for you if you like, for a minimal fee / or dylan
> will do it for free) and come to Crystal Palace park with your toys and
> your pic-nics and your families and your happiness tonight at 5.30.
> We will be around the completely underused stage area, skateing and
> sitting about like looneys...
> It will be lovely to see you all, and remember that this IS a regular

Im a Forest Hill-billy but thinking of moving to crystal palace - whats stopping me is that it feels far out (even though its just a little further than FH).

I feel like Im moving too close to Croydon and too far from Town.

What are bus links like out of CP? Doesnt it take a long time to get anywhere?

...Got my eye on a spot off central hill though...hmmm, really tempted.

I haven't lived there for about 5-6 years, I liked it there but I think I'd have enjoyed it more if I wasn't severely depressed/unable to go out much/isolated at the time.

So the value of my comments is dubious as I must have been either
(a) oblivious to how awful the area actually was, or
(b) the fact that I liked it there *despite* my situation means it must actually be a really great place to live!

It depends which part you live in, but the bus services past my flat weren't too great, and the journey from Brixton often seemed like it took an eternity.
Unfortunately, the early morning trains I needed were never on time, so I gave up on the train service after a few weeks of living there. Things may have changed since then though.

None of the restaurants/takeaways poisoned me, which is a good sign.

Didn't bother trying any of the pubs, as I didn't drink alcohol at the time.

The park's nice, and wasn't full of muggers like I expected to be.

Shops were basic but OK, but because of the hill, they were either a two-stop bus ride or a long walk up a steep hill! So if you don't like walking... forget it!

It's also one of the few places in London where someone's tried to mug me, but I hear he didn't stay in hospital for long. :D

I was going to move there again a couple of years ago, but decided it was too far to get to work. If I worked south of the river, I'd consider it again though.

hipipol said:
Over fucking rated
A strip of smart diners, the streets patrolled by inbreed feral knock off sports apparel draped shaven headed half wits

i don't mind it too much.it is over rated,but i love the dojy skate shop because of their parties and they are good friends.i always get my hangover fry up's at that paradoui cafe place too,but apart from that and smoking/longboarding in the park i don't really go there for much else.not even buses :D

i went to the bluebottle one afternoon and bought 1 single jack and coke and 2 beers and it came up to 12.50 :eek:

niksativa said:
Im a Forest Hill-billy but thinking of moving to crystal palace - whats stopping me is that it feels far out (even though its just a little further than FH).

I feel like Im moving too close to Croydon and too far from Town.

What are bus links like out of CP? Doesnt it take a long time to get anywhere?

...Got my eye on a spot off central hill though...hmmm, really tempted.
The 3 gets to Brixton pretty quickly.

Trains are good too.

Yeah, I'd been commuting to North Acton :eek: from Westow Hill since February, and although it's a fair wee distance, it's not horrendous - half hour to Brixton on the 3 and then tube from there. I really like Crystal Palace - decent bars, a few really nice restaurants, and (hopefully again this year!) skating in the park in winter.

I've just moved to Herne Hill though, so feel free to disregard my opinion. :D

Maggot said:
You missed out Tamnang Thai. Haven't been for a while, but the food was superb.

nah, tamnang thai has been disappointing both times we've been recently.

gurkha cottage is the bomb tho.

That's a shame about Tamnang.

I know about the Ghurkha, I went cottaging with some urbanites there in January!

tommers said:
*shakes head sadly*

it should only be for the very best sort of people :oops:
that's why I am insistent that acid priest actually lives in CP, but his missus is spiritually a sydenhamite :p

Maggot said:
That's a shame about Tamnang.

I know about the Ghurkha, I went cottaging with some urbanites there in January!

:eek: I wouldn't have had you down as the cottaging type !!!

Tamnag is the lick !!! :cool: I've eaten food from there hundreds of times over the years, and it has never once dissapointed.

Infact Crystal Palace rawks !!! I wouldn't live anywhere else in London. :)

Tamnag is great, so is South East (also Thai) which is very close.

I had a miserable cheese sandwich for supper & wish I hadn't read this thread.

Maggot said:
That looks fantastic, where is it?

Am very dubious about their claims that you can get to Marble Arch in 25 minutes.

I've been inside it, I REALLY wanna live there. :cool:

Marble Arch in 25mins is easy. Train to Victoria and then a quick busride from there.

Its so weird, I moved from CP to the fringes of Kent last month, yet when I look through by living room window the CP Tower is smack bang in front of me on a hill!!!! Also my next door neighbors used to live on my road!!!!

Its weird i tell yah!

RaverDrew said:
I've been inside it, I REALLY wanna live there. :cool:

Marble Arch in 25mins is easy. Train to Victoria and then a quick busride from there.
No way! I don't believe it can be done!

moon said:
Its so weird, I moved from CP to the fringes of Kent last month, yet when I look through by living room window the CP Tower is smack bang in front of me on a hill!!!! Also my next door neighbors used to live on my road!!!!
I think you might live near me!

ok maybe just a lil bit over, I used to do the journey on a daily basis myself.

The building is about 1 mins walk from the train station.

Gipsy hill to Victoria train will take between 18-23 mins depending on how busy the platforms are.

Victoria to Marble Arch is 4-8mins by bus depending on traffic.

You could do it in 25mins if everything arrived perfectly on time. In the real world this very rarely happens of course.

I'd allow myself 45mins to get up there, to allow for delays etc.

Back
Top Bottom