Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crusader Kings 3

Actually I’m guessing you can as with culture which is what I should have done to get me out of the aforementioned pickle.
Used to be some stiff prestige or piety requirements and you couldn't be zealous for religious conversion. Few tricks round it like having a friend and secretly converting first or just educating heir, but like you say you need to be prepared for consequences.

And of course you should really see it as giving YOU holy reasons to mash the neighbours :D

Umm, I somehow became the emperor of the Roman Empire. Which sounds like it’ll be a mighty PITA tbh. I wasn’t wanting that at all. Partly to blame for voting for myself. :rolleyes:
I was only wanting to swallow up Poland and Hungary as they weren’t part of it (hence not getting into a war with my Liege yet expanding my realm).

Umm, I somehow became the emperor of the Roman Empire. Which sounds like it’ll be a mighty PITA tbh. I wasn’t wanting that at all. Partly to blame for voting for myself. :rolleyes:
I was only wanting to swallow up Poland and Hungary as they weren’t part of it (hence not getting into a war with my Liege yet expanding my realm).

It's quite interesting as what I expected to be the usual late game map painting exercise (which is a bit boring tbh, may as well play Europa Universalis) I'm now fire fighting factions so no time at all to expand. Which I guessed would be the outcome. The game is also starting to feel a bit buggy in the later game.

Well that didn't last long. The stress of all my conniving and scheming drove me to drink myself to death at the ripe old age of 24, leaving me yet again playing ... a 6 year old girl. Goddammit.
My 6-year-old grew into a brilliant ruler, expanded from 3 counties to 17, went on a successful crusade, usurped two titles, outlived two of her sons, and died at the age of 68. Now of course I've lost half the land I had direct control over due to the succession laws partitioning it out between my living male descendants - I really need to research how to avoid that happening with every new generation.

My 6-year-old grew into a brilliant ruler, expanded from 3 counties to 17, went on a successful crusade, usurped two titles, outlived two of her sons, and died at the age of 68. Now of course I've lost half the land I had direct control over due to the succession laws partitioning it out between my living male descendants - I really need to research how to avoid that happening with every new generation.

Still trying to feel around it myself. There’s a number of strategies I’ve picked up on for Gavelkind. Get rid of excess heirs through assigning them as knights with a weak force and sending them into an un-winnable battle, or murder.
Waging wars for new titles that you then hand out to non heirs so they get less upon succession.
You can also apparently change the succession laws on individual places although I haven’t looked too deeply into that.
The most annoying thing that happened to me that I haven’t worked out the reason for is when my capital changed upon succession meaning I lost the one I’d invested in.

Having said that a lot of the fun is scheming to get your land back. It can get a bit boring in the late game with primogeniture when you get a bit powerful and start map painting.

Also if you’d prefer to play with primogeniture earlier, there’s a few mods already in the workshop that will do that; assuming you bought it in steam.

Yeah - I'm playing in England so need Lower Crown Authority before I can start making any changes to succession laws.

Higher you mean? Not sure how the individual laws on titles work though but seen it mentioned in the context of dealing with Gavelkind.
No, I think it's lower, at least that's what it said when I tried to edit my succession laws. I think if crown authority is too high you're not allowed to make changes to laws within your own realm, they have to come from above.

No, I think it's lower, at least that's what it said when I tried to edit my succession laws. I think if crown authority is too high you're not allowed to make changes to laws within your own realm, they have to come from above.

Oh, you’re probably right then. Well it’s easy to lower it but perhaps undesirable. I always try to raise it because lowering it is one way of reducing factions upon succession. The higher it is the more your vassals hate you. Or they do with me.

In CKll I started to just roll with gavelkind, means keeping vassals sweet but with a decent capital duchy and income you can just let the rest get their share, then perhaps take it back if they rebel.

In CKll I started to just roll with gavelkind, means keeping vassals sweet but with a decent capital duchy and income you can just let the rest get their share, then perhaps take it back if they rebel.

Primo doesn’t become available until 1200+ AD here. Maybe was the same in CK2 but can’t remember. A 1066 start with Bohemia gives you House Seniority, but that has its own issues such as succession happening more frequently.

Ive been raising crown authority to piss my vassals off so they rise against me. Then once I put the uprising down and imprison them I fabricate claims on their holdings, then revoke titles which they can’t refuse given they’re in prison (and you don’t get a tyranny hit given you have a claim on them). The trick to this is having plenty of money saved for mercenaries. You can clean up all of the holdings of the imprisoned and then give away the shit stuff to content low borns (who are less likely to revolt in the future).

Last edited:
Ive been raising crown authority to piss my vassals off so they rise against me. Then once I put the uprising down and imprison them I fabricate claims on their holdings, then revoke titles which they can’t refuse given they’re in prison (and you don’t get a tyranny hit given you have a claim on them). The trick to this is having plenty of money saved for mercenaries. You can clean up all of the holdings of the imprisoned and then give away the shit stuff to content low borns (who are less likely to revolt in the future).

Just won my most recent (eight year) civil war, but it was close. Imprisoned all the trouble makers then started the above process. Trouble is, my ruler is ambitious and greedy. Which apparently means giving away land causes him stress. A lot of it. FFS. Surely this is a bug? How on earth are you supposed to manage your realm if you can’t grant titles? :D

Basically how I spent my time in CK2 - rare was the lord who wasn't in jail for at least part of my reign.

Got this last week and have had my first dip into it after the tutorial last week. Started in 1066 as Iceland which was a stab in the dark. Kind of good as people have left me alone. I converted to some minor Christian faith and have just been building up money.

Figured out how to raid and tried to raid Scotland which was a fail, but then raided west Ireland and now have some blokes daughter in my prison. :D

Might start to make a move on Ireland.

I managed to take some of Ulster and had a mayor installed. They died and I had full controll. I granted the title to my eldest son not knowing what that means but it appears he's now a Vassel for me which I guess is fine. I'm having to learn how things work as I go. I've converted the local population to Norse which I thought was a good idea and am slowly changing their religion. I might am to take the rest of Ulster and then turn to Scotland and probably be happy if we survive that.....

We managed to fend off an attack from some small leader in Scotland already.

Still a lot to learn but I think I'm getting there. I can see myself putting up the difficulty at some point. I think after this I might try a Bayzentine game as I was listening to a podcast about this era and found it good.

So my Catholic crusading catholic hero Solvi died. My Heir lost half of Ulster to my brother. No one liked my Heir due to him being sadistic so I lived up to the name and have been pretty brutal torturing and killing prisoners then sleeping with one of my other brothers wife. Ended up joining a war in Denmark and got destroyed by 13'000 Holy Roman Empire troops. :eek:

I think I am going to have to go to war with my Brother to reunite Ulster under the Icelandic banner and he also beat me too another county in Ireland. I assumed he would stay my Vassel. I think I'll take all of Ireland as an aim. I was allied to Munster for a bit as they were stronger but have since been undermining them by supporting revolts by Connaught and other counties that had been consumed by them.

Solvis sister who I gave Jerusalem somehow became the head of the house as well and it was merged into some other name/offshoot.

I liked that the character personality traits changed the way I played a bit. I guess if your Heirs shit you can kill them off as long as you don't get caught.

I reckon I'll probably keep a word document going as it's hard to keep track of what's happened for my own story. Watching Britain's own story unfold has been interesting too.

Northern Lords DLC is out now.

I've got the hang of this now. Figured out how to keep most of my kingdom and how successions work.

Started a game as the Duchy of Moray and have managed to get the Scottish throne which is now back to its true name of Alba with the Gaelic culture spreading nicely.

England took a fair amount of my land through successions, but I managed to get this back by pressing my wife's claim.

Gradually taken over Dublin and the Duchy of Meath so Ireland is now split between us, Munster and Norway. When taking
over Dublin I took a Welsh prince prisoner. I made him my ward and then pressed his claim so he is now King and Ally. I really like that aspect of random stories in the game. France has taken large sections of English land (Mercia) so I've been buddying up with their local lord and married into it incase it somehow comes my way eventually.

I'm also trying not to do things that would seem unrealistic. It was suggested to kill other heirs by giving them a small army of and putting them into a suicide battle, but that seemed a bit of a cheat.

I've got the hang of this now.
I read about your sadism and internecine warfare and thought, yes, he's got the hang of this now :D Though I do tend to be a bit of a goody-goody myself in my play throughs.
Still not stumped for 3 but play CKII regularly still. I will get with the times next time I have some spare cash, pleased to see it's been a successful update.

Back
Top Bottom