Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crusader Kings 3

The cost does go up to £4 a month but, just as an example, this, Wasteland 3 & Flight Simulator have all been released on it in the past couple of weeks.

I'm holding off for a bit too but the early reviews look good. One thing I did read which I suspect will be true is it's already much the same if you like Western Europe but maybe lacking in some of the features for the more obscure cultures I enjoy most, so maybe wait until the inevitable DLC. Hardly played much M&B Bannerlord yet either.

Got it on Tuesday, looks fantastic but is a really big change from CK2 and I am not anywhere near understanding what is going on yet.

This will doubtless be me too.

I did the tutorial so continued as Ireland and already doing schoolboy errors such as investing heavily in provinces that I lose upon succession, and declaring wars that I haven’t properly investigated the viability of...
And I’m trying to play nice but one of my vassals is demanding a seat at the top table but he’s as thick as pig shit so murder it is.

Last edited:
United Ireland. Son died and it upset me so much I stopped eating and died of malnutrition.

Other son took over. Got plague. Doctors cut his face off to cure him. He also died.

Uniting Ireland isn’t that easy so well done on that. You really need your eye on the ball as to what’s going on where and when to accomplish it I think. I tried brute forcing it and got punished. It’s a very clever game engine.

Had a go, looks good I suppose, lacks charm though. Or I'm just too used to CK2. UI is far too crowded too, seem to perpetually have more pop ups on screen than anything and missing features really show imo. No custom characters for example. All part of the DLC plan I'm sure, but still, seems like a pretty step backwards in some ways.

Had a go, looks good I suppose, lacks charm though. Or I'm just too used to CK2. UI is far too crowded too, seem to perpetually have more pop ups on screen than anything and missing features really show imo. No custom characters for example. All part of the DLC plan I'm sure, but still, seems like a pretty step backwards in some ways.

Ive been having a lot of fun with it. I agree about the pop-ups - they’re pretty annoying on my small laptop screen. As for comparisons with CK2 I think this is way more polished and bigger than CK2 was at launch. Obviously it won’t favourably compare with CK2 with DLC.

Apparently (according to the faq on their wiki) character creation will come as a free update later (probably with the release of a DLC). I honestly don’t see the point of it until you can select a later start date with better succession laws. The challenge at the current dates is keeping hold of your power the best you can with the succession laws you’re stuck with. I can’t see tinkering with characters stats helping whatsoever.

Apparently (according to the faq on their wiki) character creation will come as a free update later (probably with the release of a DLC). I honestly don’t see the point of it until you can select a later start date with better succession laws. The challenge at the current dates is keeping hold of your power the best you can with the succession laws you’re stuck with. I can’t see tinkering with characters stats helping whatsoever.

Eh, mostly personal preference I suppose. Never viewed CK2 as a game so much as a story telling machine with mechanics. Creating my own bespoke clan was always part of that.

I agree about the pop-ups - they’re pretty annoying on my small laptop screen.
Sounds like it's time to invest in a larger monitor - I really like the overlays arrangement in CK3 so far, but I'm playing on a 32" screen; I can imagine it's a bit much on a laptop.

Started this evening as a 6-year-old newly orphaned girl with hardly any money and only a single county to my name. Now I've reunited East Anglia, conquered Suffolk and Kent, and blossomed into a scheming 20-something adulteress who is already on her second husband and third lover. :D My beautiful younger sister is a bit of an annoyance though, might have to do something about that...

Sounds like it's time to invest in a larger monitor - I really like the overlays arrangement in CK3 so far, but I'm playing on a 32" screen; I can imagine it's a bit much on a laptop.

Started this evening as a 6-year-old newly orphaned girl with hardly any money and only a single county to my name. Now I've reunited East Anglia, conquered Suffolk and Kent, and blossomed into a scheming 20-something adulteress who is already on her second husband and third lover. :D My beautiful younger sister is a bit of an annoyance though, might have to do something about that...

Im playing as Bohemia (Czech) which is a lot of fun. It starts with House Seniority too for those who dislike Gavelkind. Survived up until 1254 so far from a 1066 start.
The best moment by far was I had pretty much all my vassals faction up against me and I had dug too deep into my funds for enough mercs. Then when all was almost lost (they were siegeing my capital!) my ruler somehow died causing succession and an end to the war. Phew.

Furthermore some were ones I’d released from prison (different ruler) for previous trouble causing. I honestly think that your vassals are best off left in prison if you don’t need the ransom money. Unless there’s some other penalty that I’m missing?

Furthermore some were ones I’d released from prison (different ruler) for previous trouble causing. I honestly think that your vassals are best off left in prison if you don’t need the ransom money. Unless there’s some other penalty that I’m missing?
You can ransom them for Hooks, which you can then use for various purposes, so if they might be useful later on in some way that could be an option.

Can you not still edit your dynasty name and shield after the fact? I'd sometimes start as e.g. one of the Muslim rulers in Armenia then convert to local religion and culture and change our name to be custom like that.

Can you not still edit your dynasty name and shield after the fact? I'd sometimes start as e.g. one of the Muslim rulers in Armenia then convert to local religion and culture and change our name to be custom like that.

I don’t think so although you can convert to the local culture. Not sure about religion as Ive only played as Catholic. You get a chance to convert when other nations adopt a new religion but is kind of a bad idea. I clicked it by accident and was suddenly engulfed by much superior external forces with Holy reasons to smash me into oblivion.

Back
Top Bottom