Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Criminology and Law/Hard Left personal politics ,can it work?

cozmikbrew

Bass case
Right,so ive been offered a place on a Crimonology and Law Diploma course starting on 19th September,i did a couple of access courses after my mum passed in May,after being her full time carer for 6 years,mainly just to do something for me,to see if my brain hadnt completely turned to mush,Ciminal Psychology,Young People and the Law etc On the strengh of those being offerd a place on Criminology anyway just a question to ask if any Urbs of a Left/Anarchist course mindset who have done similar courses ,followed them on to Uni,i ask because it looks like,if,and its a big if,i complete the course to Uni acceptance,what area of work are you in/ It seems most of the careers are connected to cops,probation,jail etc I realise this looks like a rambling half question so please no smart arse cobblers i cant be arsed @x

Unless you're going into academia, any job to which criminology is relevant is likely to be part of the criminal justice system. Obviously, there's a range - from being a copper to working in rehabilitation. The extent to which such a position is at odds with your personal politics is a matter for you. Whilst I wouldn't be happy being, say, a prison officer, I could just about reconcile the idea of being, say, working with prison-leavers to find them jobs.

Working with people leaving prison/the criminal justice system could be a good side to that sort of study I'd have thought? Or working with people in prisons (there are plenty of jobs that aren't screws that are more about rehabilitation and helping people get their lives sorted, practicalities on release etc).

As a leftie, I have a problem with people who have a job of putting a young mother in court for stealing a loaf of bread or getting someone a custodial sentence for non payment of the TV licence or people who have a job of stopping and searching young black men or violently ending protests and arresting/hurting protestors, I don't have an issue with people working with "offenders" or those in the criminal justice system to try to help them.

Last edited:
Working with people leaving prison/the criminal justice system could be a good side to that sort of study I'd have thought? Or working with people in prisons (there are plenty of jobs that aren't screws that are more about rehabilitation and helping people get their lives sorted, practicalities on release etc).

As a leftie, I have a problem with people who have a job of putting a young mother in court for stealing a loaf of bread or getting someone a custodial sentence for non payment of the TV licence or people who have a job of stopping and searching young black men, I don't have an issue with people working with "offenders" or those in the criminal justice system to try to help them.
Yep, this.

What’s your reason for studying it?
Now this is it, as I've said in the OP I went to college just to do something with my brain after caring for my mum for so long, with a vague idea /interest in all things Psychology and crime and a personal interest in all things addiction. Turns out I have still got a brain that works,better than I thought. So one of the tutors asked me if I'd be interested in the Diploma, had an interview, wrote an essay etc, was offered a place. I'm still dealing with a lot of shit from my childhood(started attending counselling sessions just prior to my mum dying) on top of the death of my mum, and found the college work as, how can I put it, almost like yoga, I'm calm, sober and feel like I have purpose, I'd like to turn this into something longer term @x

Now this is it, as I've said in the OP I went to college just to do something with my brain after caring for my mum for so long, with a vague idea /interest in all things Psychology and crime and a personal interest in all things addiction. Turns out I have still got a brain that works,better than I thought. So one of the tutors asked me if I'd be interested in the Diploma, had an interview, wrote an essay etc, was offered a place. I'm still dealing with a lot of shit from my childhood(started attending counselling sessions just prior to my mum dying) on top of the death of my mum, and found the college work as, how can I put it, almost like yoga, I'm calm, sober and feel like I have purpose, I'd like to turn this into something longer term @x
Given your circumstances, I would say don't worry too much about what job you will do afterwards. If the course holds a strong interest and you think will enjoy the studying, just go for it. Work stuff will sort itself out at a later date (and you'll know a lot more about what you want to do then).

Given your circumstances, I would say don't worry too much about what job you will do afterwards. If the course holds a strong interest and you think will enjoy the studying, just go for it. Work stuff will sort itself out at a later date (and you'll know a lot more about what you want to do then).
Yeah this is what I've decided, keeps me focused and drug free and that can only be a good thing, I shall report back later in the year, thanks for all the input people @x

Right,so ive been offered a place on a Crimonology and Law Diploma course starting on 19th September,i did a couple of access courses after my mum passed in May,after being her full time carer for 6 years,mainly just to do something for me,to see if my brain hadnt completely turned to mush,Ciminal Psychology,Young People and the Law etc On the strengh of those being offerd a place on Criminology anyway just a question to ask if any Urbs of a Left/Anarchist course mindset who have done similar courses ,followed them on to Uni,i ask because it looks like,if,and its a big if,i complete the course to Uni acceptance,what area of work are you in/ It seems most of the careers are connected to cops,probation,jail etc I realise this looks like a rambling half question so please no smart arse cobblers i cant be arsed @x
Critical studies of the police as an organised crime group are always interesting and depending on where your studies go you might find a place in surveillance studies or perhaps working with groups like netpol. I've known several @ists who've studied law/criminology and there's loads of interesting places you could end up.

Do the course, Learning is never a waste of time. That kind of diploma will probably give you access to a number of law and general sociological degree courses so you aren't bound to a narrow set of career options later.

(TBF Most people actually working in the criminal justice system actually come to it from a centrist or left position. Even in the old bill 12 years of conservative government, 20% curs in officers and staff numbers and a 10 year pay freeze, combined with two of the three PMs having a personal grudge against the police means there ain't a lot of Tories left.

You will, unfortunately, come across people who are in complete denial about the systemic, structural and institutional racism and. classism of their sector. They will be the academics.)

Last edited:

As a leftie, I have a problem with people who have a job of putting a young mother in court for stealing a loaf of bread or getting someone a custodial sentence for non payment of the TV licence or people who have a job of stopping and searching young black men or violently ending protests and arresting/hurting protestors, I don't have an issue with people working with "offenders" or those in the criminal justice system to try to help them.
My MIL worked with ex offenders in probation, she decided Christmas was the time to call all of those with drug and addiction issues scum, while pissed out of her head, yet again. Her son also had gambling issues and was there. They all go on family holidays together, it baffles me why.

Has anyone had any experience going from Universal Credit with the Limited Capability for Work component, due to poor mental health, to Uni?No one can give me straight answers, apparently ill be punished in some form. I just wanna try and go forward in life, after caring for my mum for so long in isolation its been a real struggle, now it seems there might be a fight with the social which i don't think I've got the energy for. Its a fucker cos i had a meet up with head of department today and shes really looking forward to my contributions, looks like ill be the only mature student there, so id be apparently sat with quite a few who wanna become cops/soft cops, an me whos been a criminal pretty much most of my life, but yeah,if anyone knows anything about the above?,gonna try and speak to CA tomorrow @x

I would love to have taken my law studies further and although not well paid ( I guess ) I might have worked for a human rights organisation like amnesty or reprice etc.
Good luck with the studies and go for it.

Unless you're going into academia, any job to which criminology is relevant is likely to be part of the criminal justice system. Obviously, there's a range - from being a copper to working in rehabilitation. The extent to which such a position is at odds with your personal politics is a matter for you. Whilst I wouldn't be happy being, say, a prison officer, I could just about reconcile the idea of being, say, working with prison-leavers to find them jobs.

tbf the senior prison service manager who welcomed us on to our officers course was as far from an organise death matches for nonces as you could get.( although he implied at least one minister asked i himf that went and if not why not? :eek: :facepalm:) Which is the level of understanding the prison service has in government it's amazing it does as well as it does. It was quite depressing he reckoned he could pick out future "prisoners" at age 12😢 we had one ex prisoner ex gang members whose turned his life around he was inspiring but the actual day to day job is grinding and covid made it worse.

tbf the senior prison service manager who welcomed us on to our officers course was as far from an organise death matches for nonces as you could get.( although he implied at least one minister asked i himf that went and if not why not? :eek: :facepalm:) Which is the level of understanding the prison service has in government it's amazing it does as well as it does. It was quite depressing he reckoned he could pick out future "prisoners" at age 12😢 we had one ex prisoner ex gang members whose turned his life around he was inspiring but the actual day to day job is grinding and covid made it worse.
To be fair the prison system is a complicated mish mash of penal and attempt at reform via education and skills…….. it’s not as straight cut as everyone who’s never seen it from the inside assumes, and the relationships between prisoner and officers is also a complicated one.

Has anyone had any experience going from Universal Credit with the Limited Capability for Work component, due to poor mental health, to Uni?No one can give me straight answers, apparently ill be punished in some form. I just wanna try and go forward in life, after caring for my mum for so long in isolation its been a real struggle, now it seems there might be a fight with the social which i don't think I've got the energy for. Its a fucker cos i had a meet up with head of department today and shes really looking forward to my contributions, looks like ill be the only mature student there, so id be apparently sat with quite a few who wanna become cops/soft cops, an me whos been a criminal pretty much most of my life, but yeah,if anyone knows anything about the above?,gonna try and speak to CA tomorrow @x
did you end up going for it?

Back
Top Bottom