Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coventry - news, discussion, things to do....

There's absolutely nothing in Cov that you won't find more and better of in Brum (well, *arguably* Warwick Arts Centre is better than the MAC, or at least bigger and nicer looking, but that's about it).

Earlsdon ranges from 1-2 miles out of the city centre, the inner bit is walkable. Not sure you'll find a 2 bed house there tho, cos it's buy-to-let land, mostly for the student/HMO market...

Brown's and Tin Angel are decent pubs, Jailhouse and Coliseum are ok gig venues (mostly unsigned/student bands and mostly punk/metal, but Coliseum puts on a hip hop night IIRC). Clubbing is mostly of the nasty small-townish meat market type, WI centre has the odd dub or drum'n'bass night tho. Earlsdon has a few decent pubs and curry houses IIRC. Haven't been out in Cov in ages tho, i go out more often (which still isn't massively often) in Brum...

Best football team in Britain play there. I know that much, and that my Grandad was cremated at Canley having introduced me to them.

It always struck me as a nondescript place, though I wish I could say different.

All of which is of no use to you whatever, I daresay. Still, all the best!

Dont go to Browns, fucking wankers - they just refuse to serve people all the time cos they dont fit in with their ideal clientel.....the big fat bird with the pineapple on her head is the worst for it as well :mad:

Yetman said:
Dont go to Browns, fucking wankers - they just refuse to serve people all the time cos they dont fit in with their ideal clientel.....the big fat bird with the pineapple on her head is the worst for it as well :mad:
Agree with that 100% threw me out on a sunday lunchtime for smiling when she asked me if she i had been thrown out of there b4. Bloody nazi.. Geeta and her brother found it bloody funny but said they were boycotting the pub as they knew the woman had done the same thing to lots of other people...

tbaldwin said:
Agree with that 100% threw me out on a sunday lunchtime for smiling when she asked me if she i had been thrown out of there b4. Bloody nazi.. Geeta and her brother found it bloody funny but said they were boycotting the pub as they knew the woman had done the same thing to lots of other people...

Yep, she totally judges people on the way they look - probably taking out her anger at being called fat pineapple headed TWAT for years, on other people :mad:

It's a rather dull place, although there's a fairly decent cycling section in the transport museum.

I was the best man at a wedding there. Unfortunately, the happy couple have not yet managed to escape the place.

My mother and my grandparents on my mother's side (and family) were all Coventry born and bred. I used to like going there to visit them as a child and especially as a young teenager because, in my doom-laden and disaffected yoof, I appreciated the urban dystopan qualities the place posessed. :)

On the architectural front, the station is an impressive expanse of '60s white concrete, the three bombed spires of the old cathedral are rightfully preserved and the modern (also '60s) catherdral has to be seen to be believed. The rest of the centre is, well, kinda grey pebbledashed concrete 'poached' by a ring road that forms a perfect circle approximately one mile in diameter, and which lends the city a similar ambience to that other great testament to phoenix-like postwar municipal modernism, Croydon. :cool:

I hear that most of Coventry's nite klubs sell beer that tastes just like piss, though I've yet to experience the existence-enhancing pleasure...
icon14.gif

It's last great day was when the football team won the FA Cup against Spurs in 1987 and the city's been shit ever since?

Discuss

Liveist said:
It's last great day was when the football team won the FA Cup against Spurs in 1987 and the city's been shit ever since?

Discuss

Used to have a good club there - the Eclipse.

not enough internet cafes

oh, am i supposed to be saying positive things?

erm....weren't the specials from cov?

Donna Ferentes said:
I played a game of chess there that was broadcast live on the internet and analysed in the following Saturday's Guardian chess column.

What did they make of you taking the opposition using the rules for draughts? :p

Been to Coventry twice and thought it was quite nice. Didn't they start the ska revival there?

Yep, the Ska revival, The Eclipse, and errr....getting bombed is about all its famous for, but its no shitter than a lot of other shit places.....still shit though.

Its got about two or three decent bars, one decent club (at a push) and is good for chavvy kebab munching pissheads fighting on Friday nights if thats your thing.

Born and bread

Its got about two or three decent bars, one decent club (at a push) and is good for chavvy kebab munching pissheads fighting on Friday nights if thats your thing.
20-12-2006 04:02 PM

You might be on about the West Indian Center? Not as many sound systems as there used to be use it now but its a great place for underground munting.

Coventry was a weekend escape from Nuneaton for me when I was a teenager (Rose & Crown, Dog & Trumpet, Silver Sword) and I've had a few mad 'uns at the W.I., so it's not all bad. :)

Dissenter said:
By the way; I saw The Selecta in a new bar a couple of weeks ago so :p if you think Cov is shit.

Both The Selecter and Neville Staples have played Nuneaton recently too, so I guess that place must be on the up :eek:

To be fair, 2 Tone only happened because Coventry was such a dump

Ah! the Eclipse what a place, it then became the edge and was finally closed down boo hoo. Nice to meet a fellow old skool raver

Solartrinity
xxxxxxxxxx

Back
Top Bottom