Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coventry - news, discussion, things to do....

Fuzzy

Hearts Cov
my g/f has just got a job in Coventry. We currently live in birmingham but are thinking about moving there primarily because it will be much cheaper to rent then it is where we currently are. Unfortunately i dont know much about Coventry in terms of areas that are ok and those that are less desirable. anyone live there or have anything constructive to offer on this subject. what are nice areas of the city, where do the students live etc? If you want to slag the place off can you do it in your own thread please as i'm well aware of the negative image that the city has and am actually asking for constructive comments.

Fuzzy said:
my g/f has just got a job in Coventry. We currently live in birmingham but are thinking about moving there primarily because it will be much cheaper to rent then it is where we currently are. Unfortunately i dont know much about Coventry in terms of areas that are ok and those that are less desirable. anyone live there or have anything constructive to offer on this subject. what are nice areas of the city, where do the students live etc? If you want to slag the place off can you do it in your own thread please as i'm well aware of the negative image that the city has and am actually asking for constructive comments.

i know a reporter in cov.

thats it.

she says its great.

ivebeenhigh said:
i lived there for 6 months. Didnt like it at all. Nothing to do. Nothing to see. Its a bleak place.

C

which bit of the city did you live in? central or further out? how long ago were you there?

Bit of a shithole, few nice areas, nice people in the right places, town is full of attitude Fri/Sat nights.....I'll pm you :)

I live there.

Cheapest areas are to the north like Foleshill and Radford and seem to be the most crime-ridden.

Areas I'd recommend are Earlsdon and Spon End.

Loadsa low-end accommodation as there's loadsa students, there being 2 unis.

Avoid the area I live in, Potters Green, as it's unbelievably boring.

For what I learnt when my sister went there is its an alright place, you get used to it, but thats about it. It got fucked over in the 1980s so don't bother looking for exicting archetecture...

steveo87 said:
It got fucked over in the 1980s so don't bother looking for exicting archetecture...

[Couldn't help myself] I think you'll find the Luftwaffe did that some time earlier. I nearly fell off my bike laughing when I saw a sign on the M42 saying "Historic Coventry".[/Couldn't help myself]

I live in Coventry now having spent 15 years in London - it's ok. There are good and bad areas (good = Earlsdon, very built up though and Styvechale, very expensive/bad = Wood End/Foleshill/Radford - not as bad as they're painted though), but then everywhere has these, I'm sure the crime rate is relatively the same as anywhere else. There's plenty of rental accommodation available I can recommend rightmove.co.uk.

Nightlife and town centre are shit, there are very few good restaurants though there are a couple of good cinemas, a sports centre and an arts centre.

It's ok - I quite like it here.

Yetman said:
wot aksunt? :mad:

I was brought up in Nuneaton and always though Coventry had a very non-desript accent. After living away for a few years I can hear a bit of twang but it just sounds like watered down Nunny to me :)

zed66 said:
[Couldn't help myself] I think you'll find the Luftwaffe did that some time earlier. I nearly fell off my bike laughing when I saw a sign on the M42 saying "Historic Coventry".[/Couldn't help myself]

Amidst the dire 50s concrete, there are still a good few mediaeval buildings, the remains of a Roman fort, and just outside at Kenilworth, the remains of one of the better English castles.

Anyway wtf were you doing cycling along the M42?

:)

gnoriac said:
Amidst the dire 50s concrete, there are still a good few mediaeval buildings, the remains of a Roman fort, and just outside at Kenilworth, the remains of one of the better English castles.

A lots of the old buildings dating back to Tudor times have been moved onto Spon Street
sponst02.jpg

I lived there for a year and liked it. I shared a big house about 20 minutes walk from the Warwick campus towards the town.

It's a pretty ugly place by and large, but the people were very friendly. There's a good food market.

Coventry's okay in its way, but the town centre's a soulless concrete jungle filled with shopping centres. There're a few cinemas, the Belgrade Theatre, the Warwick Arts Centre, etc. for the more cultural dimensions of life, so no deficiency there. The student areas (for Warwick students at any rate) are those like Earlsdon (the major one), especially in the area around Hearsall Common, Tile Hill, and Canley.

Yetman said:
Say. No. More :p

Earlsdon is supposed to be the best bit. Browns is a popular pub but the owners are wankers....
Not anywhere decent to eat that i know of.....
The locals dont like brummies....
The trains to London r shit....

gnoriac said:
Indeed, when I get down the way I rather like to sink 1 or 2 in Ma Brown's (very historic) or the Tin Angel (not historic).

I've spent some very messy nights upstairs at the West Indian Club there too. :)

Yetman said:
Say. No. More :p

I lived there, you don't have to! :p :D

whats Earlsdon like? Ideally I need somewhere with easy access on to the A45/M42 and with good bus links to the city centre for the other half. we want to pay less than 500 quid a month rent. is that possible in studenty areas?

Fuzzy said:
whats Earlsdon like? Ideally I need somewhere with easy access on to the A45/M42 and with good bus links to the city centre for the other half. we want to pay less than 500 quid a month rent. is that possible in studenty areas?

If you live in the right part of Earlsdon it's possible to walk into the city centre. That part tends to be what could be described as down at heel though. There are also various buses that run through the area, although as they're run by Travel West Midlands (*spit*) you have to have the exact change to use them. It's not hard to get to the A45 from most of the city, especially if you're near the Ring Road.

Nemo said:
If you live in the right part of Earlsdon it's possible to walk into the city centre. That part tends to be what could be described as down at heel though. There are also various buses that run through the area, although as they're run by Travel West Midlands (*spit*) you have to have the exact change to use them. It's not hard to get to the A45 from most of the city, especially if you're near the Ring Road.

i've lived in birmingham for three and a half years so i know all about the correct change scenario on the buses (spits to). any idea on rental prices. we will be looking for a two bed house. are we being realistic in thinking we can find one for less than 500 a month.

Fuzzy said:
i've lived in birmingham for three and a half years so i know all about the correct change scenario on the buses (spits to). any idea on rental prices. we will be looking for a two bed house. are we being realistic in thinking we can find one for less than 500 a month.

I think 2-bed house in a pleasant area will be about 400-500 pcm.
You need to get the Cov Eve Tel, I think Wed night's the main one for rentals.
C.E.T. site

Back
Top Bottom