Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

'Could Lewisham be the new Shoreditch' asks ghastly luxury website

Looks not bad and I agree the prices are normal for that kind of place, but you are clueless as fuck if you think £10+ for a burger and chips is 'family friendly' for a typical family living around there.

I also heartily doubt that it has got flavours to compete with the lamb and aubergine curries at Dosa Sambal across the street (massive thali: £5).

You don't know me at all, so frankly calling me "clueless as fuck" for expressing an opinion on a place I have eaten, with my children, on more than one occasion is a bit rude. Family friendly to me means an atmosphere where I can take my children without them feeling out of place, and where they will enjoy it. Incidentally you can get children's portions for less - £4 for a kids burger.

Oh, and whether or not it can complete with Dosa Sambal is irrelevant - you are comparing a burger with a curry - if I want to take my kids for a curry I'll do that, if I want to go for a burger I can go to Rox burger.

You don't know me at all, so frankly calling me "clueless as fuck" for expressing an opinion on a place I have eaten, with my children, on more than one occasion is a bit rude. Family friendly to me means an atmosphere where I can take my children without them feeling out of place, and where they will enjoy it. Incidentally you can get children's portions for less - £4 for a kids burger.

Oh, and whether or not it can complete with Dosa Sambal is irrelevant - you are comparing a burger with a curry - if I want to take my kids for a curry I'll do that, if I want to go for a burger I can go to Rox burger.

You seem to have slightly failed to grasp the context. This isn't a foodie thread about burgers, it's a thread about the tension caused by socioeconomic change in a working class area of London.

Declaring that somewhere is 'family friendly' without considering whether a typical family in the area would realistically be able to afford to go there is definitely clueless. Sorry if my language was undiplomatic, but if you say something dumb on a sensitive topic you'd better have a thick skin to hand.

And you were the one who implicitly compared the food at Rox to everything else on offer in the area when you said that it was 'easily my favourite place to eat in Lewisham', you dozy twat. I'm just contending that this shows you're probably an imagination-deprived, run-of-the-mill gentrifier, that's all.

You seem to have slightly failed to grasp the context. This isn't a foodie thread about burgers, it's a thread about the tension caused by socioeconomic change in a working class area of London.

Declaring that somewhere is 'family friendly' without considering whether a typical family in the area would realistically be able to afford to go there is definitely clueless. Sorry if my language was undiplomatic, but if you say something dumb on a sensitive topic you'd better have a thick skin to hand.

And you were the one who implicitly compared the food at Rox to everything else on offer in the area when you said that it was 'easily my favourite place to eat in Lewisham', you dozy twat. I'm just contending that this shows you're probably an imagination-deprived, run-of-the-mill gentrifier, that's all.
And I'm contending that your reply shows that you haven't got a clue what you're talking about and are resorting to insults on top of that. Well done you.

And I'm contending that your reply shows that you haven't got a clue what you're talking about and are resorting to insults on top of that. Well done you.

Well, I'm not resorting to insults, I'm accompanying reasoned points with insults. You possibly gain points for refraining from insults, but you lose rather more for having no reasoned points.

Be nice to have this discussion without any insults being thrown around.

I've given up. There are bigger issues in the gentrification debate than the price of a burger in a nice restaurant in Lewisham that is run by a family from Portugal but because it uses brioche for its buns is somehow responsible for the collapse of the fabric of society and apparently I'm effing clueless for not realising it.

And I don't think I insulted anyone, but apologies if I've overstepped the mark anywhere.

Be nice to have this discussion without any insults being thrown around.

Hark to him, the man who would certainly never get exercised about anything less than imminent global catastrophe ;)

clog said:
apologies if I've overstepped the mark anywhere

I think that's decent of you to say. Of course there are far bigger issues in the gentrification debate than this - but I think tackling destructive socioeconomic change does require us all to be fully aware of the part we may play in it, and not to be in denial about the privileges some of us enjoy, and the effect these can have on those to whom they may be out of reach.

Back
Top Bottom