Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

'Could Lewisham be the new Shoreditch' asks ghastly luxury website

editor

hiraethified
Lewisham-Gateway.jpg

Uck!

Lewisham Gateway is a huge regeneration masterplan that will transform Lewisham. The Loampit Vale roundabout will be replaced by Confluence Place, a green riverside park, and pedestrian-friendly routes into the town centre. The Guide Resident takes a look at this rapidly changing area…

It may not have the hipster cred of Deptford or the village vibe of Blackheath, but Lewisham is about to unveil its very own landmark.

Lewisham Gateway – an ambitious project to transform the heart of the town centre, due for completion this summer – will create Confluence Place, a new park sloping down to the rivers Quaggy and Ravensbourne. The removal of the unloved Loampit Vale roundabout will allow for the new riverside park to connect to Lewisham’s town centre by pedestrian-friendly, shop-lined links, giving an extra boost to an area that already boasts gracious period properties, a plethora of new-build apartments, speedy transport links and some fabulous schools.

‘Once the road network is finished you’ll be able to see what we’ve been doing and we’re hoping that we will have created a quite different environment,’ says Mayor of Lewisham, Sir Steve Bullock. ‘Dominated by that roundabout it wasn’t somewhere people wanted to spend time, but we believe you’re going to see a renewed Lewisham town centre that will make the area a much more attractive place.’

COULD LEWISHAM BE THE NEW SHOREDITCH?

Double uck.

Barratt-Londons-Renaissanc-771x1024.jpg

I have to defend Rox Burger. It's a lovely, family friendly restaurant that isn't run by hipsters at all. And the burgers are delicious and not ludicrously priced. It's easily my favourite place to eat in Lewisham.

I need to go, is this on Lee Road?

By more Shoreditch I think they mean more white. Is the model market where you buy models?

for those who don't know lewisham (or have only encountered it recently), the model market used to be somewhere between indoor market and very small shops - many catering for lewisham's ethnic minority communities in some way. i don't know how many of the shop keepers managed to find somewhere else to trade from...

for those who don't know lewisham (or have only encountered it recently), the model market used to be somewhere between indoor market and very small shops - many catering for lewisham's ethnic minority communities in some way. i don't know how many of the shop keepers managed to find somewhere else to trade from...
I've just been looking at pictures of the place. Seems a very Pop Brixton kind of crowd now.

Only models in that picture tho

Lewisham-Model-Market.jpg

"Lewisham Model Market has drawn in a younger, more ‘Shoreditch’ crowd"

*looks for barf smilie
That's the old 'Black Market' or if you were from Eltham - 'Woggy Market'. :eek: it used to be the only place in Lewisham where you could buy Caribbean food and hair products.

It had been closed for years before street feast moved in

Last edited:
It's Zone 2/3 thank you very much!

The street food thing is awful, so expensive and hip. Very popular though.

Getting rid of the roundabout is a good move. The amount of new flats is an issue though, the bottom picture has been open for years but there's shed loads flying up everywhere, no doubt foreign owned and unoccupied.

Thankfully the hipsters are in Deptford, but that's another thread... Nothing hip in Lewisham other than that stupid street food thing.
It flooded recently :D
:D

I have to defend Rox Burger. It's a lovely, family friendly restaurant that isn't run by hipsters at all. And the burgers are delicious and not ludicrously priced. It's easily my favourite place to eat in Lewisham.

Looks not bad and I agree the prices are normal for that kind of place, but you are clueless as fuck if you think £10+ for a burger and chips is 'family friendly' for a typical family living around there.

I also heartily doubt that it has got flavours to compete with the lamb and aubergine curries at Dosa Sambal across the street (massive thali: £5).

I really enjoyed the normality of Lewisham during my time there - it felt like quite a steady, settled, working-class community.

It's not a culinary hotspot, but there are a number of gems - as well as Dosa Sambal, Everest Curry King has some fantastic stuff. It seems like there's a significant Sri Lankan community there, and there are a couple of other Sri Lankan places I've not tried.

Something Fishy is a quality chippy, with a decidedly un-London feel to it - feels more like the sort of place you'd get in a seaside town (which is a good thing in this context as far as I'm concerned).

There's also a Lewisham branch of dubiously-named Caribbean joint Cummin' Up - I've not been there, but their colleagues in New Cross do some great stuff.

Back
Top Bottom