Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cookery 101s

danny la rouge

More like *fanny* la rouge!
A friend of my eldest daughter, 28 years of age, was round for dinner and was asking what I considered very basic questions about cooking.

It turns out that she didn't have fall back starting points of how to cook something with what one has in the cupboard. She only followed discrete recipes every time and shopped specifically for those.

I taught myself to cook in my late teens because I wanted control over the food I ate, and particularly become vegetarian. (C/f pilchard puff, which I wanted to avoid). I did this with cookbooks we had in the house - 70s standards like Good Housekeeping - intended for meat eaters, so I had to adapt the recipes accordingly.

So it seems to me basic that you need to know some bases to start from.

Like how to make a bechemel, veloute, mire poix or soffritto, a French tomato sauce, an Italian tomato sauce. How to adapt these to make bechemel into a cheese sauce if desired, or a veloute into a supreme by adding cream to it while cooking your protein in wine, what to do next with your mire poix or soffritto, and so on. Or which herbs are good with which sauce. Where lemon juice can help. Or lemon rind.

None of this was available to me as a boy at the time. We had the option on Wednesday afternoons at school to do "cooking for boys" as a "leisure" class for a term. But these were basically recipes for a hapless man who finds his wife is in hospital (probably to have a baby). So it was how to put ham and tinned pineapple on cheese and toast to make "Hawaiian toast". Things like that. The patronising patriarchy of the day.

Some of the things I learned from the books might seem dated, but if you have a tin of butter beans or a pack of seitan but no recipe to make them into a meal, you can do worse than trying one of these sauces or bases and go into muscle memory mode. Something not available to my daughter's friend.

What are your cookery 101s you'd like to pass on to the public?

different boards and knives for meat/veg. Pinch of salt in your pasta as it boils. Bacon works fine in spag boll, doesn't have to be lardons.

Cook wine out of the meal so the flavourings remain but nobody is getting a taste of actual alcohol. This isn't nans sherry trifle. Work on your chopping techniques with cheapo things that are freezable like onions. Get a cleaver. You feel like god using one. Timing may be a little elastic on some things but baking is a science. Obey the formula.

Pasta al dente.

Stock. This may be more for meat eaters and I do apologies for that. Having said that, it's quite possible to create very tasty veg stock.

But, over the last few years, I've come to realize a good home made stock is the base for all kinds of things.

Soups, risotto, ramen, etc.

different boards and knives for meat/veg. Pinch of salt in your pasta as it boils. Bacon works fine in spag boll, doesn't have to be lardons.

Cook wine out of the meal so the flavourings remain but nobody is getting a taste of actual alcohol. This isn't nans sherry trifle. Work on your chopping techniques with cheapo things that are freezable like onions. Get a cleaver. You feel like god using one. Timing may be a little elastic on some things but baking is a science. Obey the formula.
I've been secretly coveting a cleaver DotCommunist, recommend one ?

Always cook a bit too much so you can save some in the freezer for another day (you will be so grateful to yourself on that day!)

Keep knives as sharp as possible, get a sharpener and use it regularly.

Use different wooden spoons for sweet cooking (eg cakes, custard) and savoury (gravy, curry etc)

You can always add more of an ingredient, but you can't take it out. So add things slowly, especially eg salt, sugar, vinegar, worcester sauce, chilli...

If in doubt whether something needs more salt or not, try adding lemon juice first. Sour/bitter notes bring out subtle flavours just as well as salt does IMO

There's more but later :thumbs:

Schools have got better at this danny la rouge, my youngest son (16) took Practical Cookery for Nat 5, the exam was to make a 3 course meal with all the timings done to serve at the right times etc. I think it was some kind of goats' cheese and onion tartlet starter, ratatouille main and tarte au poires with ice cream for pudding. He's a very able sous chef in the kitchen at home. My middle one who's 18 and just about to move out to a shared flat is a bit more frightened of the kitchen but I've taught him things like how to make cheese sauce from scratch and how to cook pasta and rice correctly and so forth and he can follow a recipe quite happily so I think he'll be ok once he has to do it for real. He has a slightly devil-may-care attitude to substituting things in recipes sometimes but it usually seems to work ok. My eldest daughter has been able to cook a creditable family meal from scratch since she was about twelve or thirteen. She was always the most interested and taught herself lots from books and online recipe blogs.

Make sure you scrape out and chuck the flesh of your goya and salt the chopped vegetable, leaving it for around 15 minutes to reduce the bitterness. Add it to a bowl of water and soak for a further 30 minutes if you really can't take the bitterness.

Cookery 101 - when "following" recipes ; stick to the same units of measurements, don't mix n match cups, grams and ounces [unless you can reliably convert between them, as in a cup of flour equals three or four ounces]

My Great Aunt was a cook/housekeeper and measured by eye / weight in her hand for almost everything she cooked, but that was as a result of decades of experience.
One hint she gave me was to weigh the eggs and work the ratios from that information. This was for eggs straight from the hens and therefore not graded !

Oh, and keep savoury / sweet tools apart, as well as the usual food safety measures.
Her favourite chopping boards were actually wooden ones, one was more akin to a butcher's block.

Don't follow a recipe.

Which is to say, don't just take the recipe as a fixed set of instructions. Compare recipes, look at different ratios of ingredients, get a handle on what happens if you add more fat, less fat, sugar, etc.

Definitely know how to - fry onions without burning them; make a roux; pastry handling; cook potatoes (parboil, full boil, other methods); have a reasonable understanding of the uses of a range of spices and herbs. Oh, and how to chop an onion.

Useful, but probably less relevant to day-to-day cooking, would be learning how to make bread dough and bake bread; make a sponge cake; boil an egg (hard and soft), and - I guess - cook a variety of meats, eg fry a decent steak, bit of fish, etc.

And is also a piece of piss, compared with how hard most people think it is.
Yeah I mean everyone has one go lumpy at some point and that can put people off if they're trying it for the first time and it goes wrong - but it's just a bit of practice until you can easily eyeball the quantities and know when to add more liquid, it becomes almost instinctive after a while (like many things to do with cooking!)

Back
Top Bottom