Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Concerns grow about the environmental and health impact of 3G pitches

editor

hiraethified
I've never liked them aesthetically (although I acknowledge how they can benefit a club's finances, but that's a different argument) but there's growing health concerns about 3G pitches. I've been at matches where vast plumes of microplastics are thrown into the area by player activity and thought that can't be healthy for anyone breathing them in.

Interestingly, Holland has already announced that it's phasing out all rubber crumb pitches by 2030.

However, concerns have been raised about the environmental impact of these pitches. Most commonly this relates to the fibre loss of microplastics and; in the case of third generation or 3G pitches, the presence of rubber infill, which is also a microplastic. We understand these concerns and are taking them very seriously.

We are aware of potential developments in the EU following the European Commission’s statement (released in September 2022) which recommended the introduction of a ban on the future sale of ‘intentionally added microplastics’ onto the European market, which includes rubber infill for 3G AGPs. The Commission proposed a six-year transition period before the new restriction becomes effective, although the timing for it to become law has not yet been made clear. Following the UK’s exit from the EU, the regulatory framework for these matters now sits at a UK level (except for Northern Ireland, which will continue to follow EU REACH requirements).

The Government is investigating the potential environmental and health risks associated with 3G pitches as more of the artificial sports grounds crop up around the island.

It comes after several islanders raised concerns surrounding the microplastics involved in the production process, risks of flooding, harm to biodiversity and difficulty in recycling that artificial pitches bring.

Real grass pitches absorb carbon dioxide, produce oxygen and provide a home for wildlife, particularly insects.

This year the use of artificial grass was banned at the Chelsea Flower Show due to its negative effects.

Environment Minister Deputy Jonathan Renouf said: ‘I have received several messages concerning the increase in 3G sports pitches across our Island, questioning their environmental and health impacts.

olland, it's worth noting, plans to phase out all rubber crumb pitches by 2030. Meanwhile, in the United States, the focus of concern has shifted from the PAHs in the crumb to possible PFAs, so-called “forever chemicals” in the grass blades and fabric of sports pitches and other artificial turfs.

Increasingly too, there is the environmental worry about microplastic leakage into our soils, waters and the wider environment. In a world in which we are finding microplastics in the Arctic, our food, our soil, our blood and even human breast milk, this is a concern. Are we breaking down old tyres to make them more pervasive pollutants than they already were?

Back
Top Bottom