Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coming Up Next: Peckham's Gentrification

What happened to that plan to knock down the buildings in front of Rye station, to create a public square and restore the station facade?

some of my fam (by marraige) are from peckham for genererations and i've heard them complain about it becomming too posh/expensive for local residents at least 20 years ago...

Apocryphally, that started in the mid-eighties when Geoffrey Howe and his missus bought a pied a terre on Glengall Terrace (short journey from the Palace of Westminster and the Royal Courts of Justice, you see!), just off the OKR (a beautiful Edwardian 3-storey terrace, which the old cunt's security folk mangled up with "bombproof" shutters etc over the windows, and some steel monstrosity over the door).

only just glanced at the article - just want to say that apart from the carpark (which is active about 3 months in the year) theres nothing really to talk about. Bussey building is a fairly modest music venue. The implication that peckham is full of galleries is completely overhyped - i dont think ive even seen a gallery in peckham, which bearing in mind its in between two art colleges is pretty telling.

Heres the evidence presented in the article:

Point by point
Zero shop changes on the whole length of Rye Lane, so thats an outright lie
Bar Story, a pretty standard bar thats been there a decade < what part of London doesnt have 1 bar?
Review Bookshop? havent seen it, but if theres a bookshop its well tucked away on a sidestreet, and again, is a bookshop a reason to write an article?
Ooh a Library! how exciting Peckham is!
Dye House? never seen it. Some kind of back street warehouse space well out of harms way.
There isnt a slew of decent "eateries", theres about 3 restaurants and theyre all on Bellenden Road.
Peckhams fearsome ascent! A library, a bar, allegedly an art gallery in a warehouse somewhere. Its a load of hype. For now at least.

The book shop's on Bellend Rd (SE15, BTW, Onket). Been there for at least four years, so not really a new addition to the area.

What happened to that plan to knock down the buildings in front of Rye station, to create a public square and restore the station facade?
something is happening about that - i think the station is getting renovated, including the amazing billiard hall and so on. DOnt know anything concrete but heard talk of it jsut last month from a friend

its a glorious building
Old-Stairwell-to-Waiting-Room.jpg

Old-Waiting-Room-later-Billiard-Hall-Peckham-Rye-Station-London-designed-by-Victorian-Architect-Charles-Henry-Driver-in-1865.-Photo-by-Benedict-OLooney-Architect-on-the-Old-Waiting-Room-project..jpg

Renovating that is probably part of the gentrification process i suppose, but it deserves it clearly

Original exterior
300px-Rye_Lane_Station_1880.jpg

the east london line has only just opened at rye lane and it will bring change with it - thats whats really done it for se23

Peckham Rye Lane is still a great place to walk down and the food shops look great
i do my weekly food shopping there as of this year. its further to travel but im saving about 35% off our weekly food bill. Thats mainly rye lane shops (including Khans), WIng Tai and a bit of Morrisons for stuff you cant get elsewhere

Where do you live, ska, if it's not too personal a question? I'm guessing Nunhead/Brockley by what you have previously said

yeah i think its just the station restoration that is happening atm, and slowly

"Station restoration latest August 2013
Staircase restoration: most of the planning and permission work to complete the restoration and extend the staircase has now been done. The next stage is to raise another approx £50,000 to pay for the restoration.

Old Waiting Room: plans are being developed for raising the funds (approx £750,000) for final restoration and also for interim uses for the room as it is, once the staircase is extended to give access from the forecourt. The room cannot be hired until then.

Station Gateway project: the Council and Network Rail are developing plans for the design and development of the new front square and new commercial spaces at the back of the station. There is not yet satisfactory information about how the public can contribute to these ideas. Take part in the community public conversation through here
Stages in Station restoration

The process started in the early 2000s with a campaign by The Peckham Society for the station to be listed. It was finally listed in 2008. In parallel there was promotion of the idea that the orginal square would be recreated. Rye Lane & Station Action Group took up this idea in 2004, and also stimulated the work which led to the first steps in the restoration of the Old Waiting Room. Peckham Vision then adopted the campaign for full restoration of the station and improvement of its surrounding environment. See these stages as they happened."

http://www.peckhamvision.org/wiki/Peckham_Rye_Station

Looks liek the square is on the wishlist? I think the council wish it too, but arent throwing money around

Just realised it's free. Might have to see if I can wrangle it. It's a Friday though and I don't work in London on Fridays.

Front for money laundering from the smack trade a lot of them allegedly.
Not entirely true, tho there are at least geezers who used to beg in Brixton who I have seen on Rye Lane lately - gear must be cheaper or somethin - maybe its some kind of ASBO diaspora, still no worse than the Wandsworth Breeders Diaspora on the Hoxton Twats learn to use the train and put the fixed wheel bikes aside for a night of club slummin Dahn Sarf

Oh tsk
Which Airwick Fake Flower Stench area are you from then?

Lived on the Peckham / East Dulwich boarder (very close to Peckham Rye common) for 8 years so Peckham Rye was my local station. So had to endure Rye Land every day.

Lived on the Peckham / East Dulwich boarder (very close to Peckham Rye common) for 8 years so Peckham Rye was my local station. So had to endure Rye Land every day.
Oh Dear....
In The Gardens mayhaps?
Near The Herne?
Underhill Road maybe?
Other than some 5 years in Brixton, I've lived round these sides for some 25 years
I cannot express how much I loathe the would be Claphamites who find they cant afford it and export their bigotry and bordeline racism to what was a lovely place and then spout on in their simplisitic Little Englander guff - East Dulwich Forum, from I managed to get banned from in a couple of days simply explaining to the spineless little dears that they had fucked my area up, a little gem of such small minded fuckry
"When you hear them speak thus, thou shalt cut out their tongues, and thine eyes shall have no pity for them"
Go away matey, fuck off back to Surbiton

Oh yeah, lived on Howden St for 7 years, near Bell End _ Anthony Gormley had a studio there then, used to chat with him in the caff, Desmonds filmed round the corner, cast would have bevs in the Oglander. Proper place to live
Now in Bell End, I can buy an antique lace wedding dress
Blinding

Oh Dear....
In The Gardens mayhaps?
Near The Herne?
Underhill Road maybe?
Other than some 5 years in Brixton, I've lived round these sides for some 25 years
I cannot express how much I loathe the would be Claphamites who find they cant afford it and export their bigotry and bordeline racism to what was a lovely place and then spout on in their simplisitic Little Englander guff - East Dulwich Forum, from I managed to get banned from in a couple of days simply explaining to the spineless little dears that they had fucked my area up, a little gem of such small minded fuckry
"When you hear them speak thus, thou shalt cut out their tongues, and thine eyes shall have no pity for them"
Go away matey, fuck off back to Surbiton

Oh yeah, lived on Howden St for 7 years, near Bell End _ Anthony Gormley had a studio there then, used to chat with him in the caff, Desmonds filmed round the corner, cast would have bevs in the Oglander. Proper place to live
Now in Bell End, I can buy an antique lace wedding dress
Blinding

Yep...The Gardens. Very, very cheap rent in a beautiful and peaceful square but East Dulwich has changed a hell of a lot in the 8 years I was there and has become a Clapham clone as you say. I'm in New Cross now. Much more character, more more fun.

Yep...The Gardens. Very, very cheap rent in a beautiful and peaceful square but East Dulwich has changed a hell of a lot in the 8 years I was there and has become a Clapham clone as you say. I'm in New Cross now. Much more character, more more fun.
Well done sir

Back
Top Bottom