Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coming Up Next: Peckham's Gentrification

spotted this on the stairwell on the way up to said bar.

166n0pk.jpg

oh dear...

How much is a pint ?

Franks is a welcome addition to Peckham in my opinion, making good use of a completely unused multistory carpark. Ive been twice, great view, not really my scene but thats fine.
Peckham deserves to become a place to travel to again, just as it was in the 50s. Here in south east london there is nowhere to go to for a bit of nightlife and Peckham should be more than just churches, grocers and nail bars. Brixton serves that function for people more to the west and Peckham has failed to do that for this corner (Lazerdome/Chicagos/that gangster spot by the station excluded ;)).
Im sick of having to traipse north of the river or even to Brixton to go out, and it would be great if Peckham and New Cross had just a couple more decent venues.
And Bellenden has always been the posher bit of Peckham - remember in Desmonds when Porkpie wins the lottery he moves to Goose Green! :D

Its hightime Peckham had more going on, but the problem is housing and the cost of it, which falls squarely at the foot of government and has zero to do with anything else IMO .

That said I was (reluctantly) in the East Dulwich Tavern a few months back and sat at the bar and got talking to an old boy whod been coming to the EDT for decades - asked him about the changes he'd seen - you can guess the story - Lordship Lane has become part of Dulwich in a way it wasnt fifteen years ago, and the pubs on LL are just a no-go zone now. So yeah, its such a double edged sword...poor guy refused to leave his local, even though all his friends had long gone

the knocking down of much of the north peckham estates must have made a big difference - lots of people never got rehoused in the area

any idea whats going to happen to that land opposite the police station?

Google Maps does in fact bestow that name on the area. How's that for a compromise, fogbat? You don't have to associate with the plums in Dulwich proper, but you're still denied your Peckham sreet cred?
Isn't the Bellenden Road area referred to as The French Quarter for some reason?

Been to some great clubs in Peckham recently, esp at the Palais. Welcome to me as it's a busride away. Some nice pubs too like The Gowlett and The Montpellier that put good music on and have nice food. Still too expensive to live. I think I will end up in Bexleyheath or Erith or even Thamesmead at this rate. Perhaps I could squat in William Morris' Red House. I'm sure he would approve even if the National Trust don't

:(

i'm not sure i'm ever going to be able to afford to move back anywhere within sensible distance of mum-tat (she's about half way between catford and eltham)

:(

i'm not sure i'm ever going to be able to afford to move back anywhere within sensible distance of mum-tat (she's about half way between catford and eltham)
There are some cheap places in Bexley and Bromley that aren't too far away?

There are some cheap places in Bexley and Bromley that aren't too far away?

not convinced there's much in bromley (town or borough)

i guess there's erith etc (have actually done a bit of looking round erith and not really sure i can see what the 'problem' with it is) but would like to be a bit nearer if i can...

Nowt wrong with Belvedere, Erith, Bexleyheath, nor even Abbey Wood or Thamesmead. Just a trek away from the real action and far too many night buses

i guess there's erith etc (have actually done a bit of looking round erith and not really sure i can see what the 'problem' with it is) but would like to be a bit nearer if i can...
Bromley's pretty dear IIRC and Ive got a mate who moved out to Erith a few years back - its a long way out and when the wind blows a certain direction you get a nasty smell from some kind of works by the river hitting you. He commutes and has a family so doesnt do nightbusses, but yep, night bus to erith requires some serious stamina

Read first paragraph. "Buzzing", check. "Galleries", check (not just "galleries", but "go-to" ones). "Rooftop bars", check. "Foodie", check. Throw in favourable comparison to better-known "bohemian" hangout and bingo! Job done in three lines. :(

I can't really say without knowing what you see as affordable.

Back
Top Bottom