Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coming Up Next: Peckham's Gentrification

That said I was (reluctantly) in the East Dulwich Tavern a few months back and sat at the bar and got talking to an old boy whod been coming to the EDT for decades - asked him about the changes he'd seen - you can guess the story - Lordship Lane has become part of Dulwich in a way it wasnt fifteen years ago, and the pubs on LL are just a no-go zone now. So yeah, its such a double edged sword...poor guy refused to leave his local, even though all his friends had long gone

Here here. I moved out of East Dulwich to New Cross last november but have to go back every weekend as my 3 year old still lives there. The place is horrible now. A clapham clone.

I often lament to passing of Inside 72. That was one of the best bars in London imo.

But saying that.....Lordship Lane has a wonderful selection on Indian restaurants. I think there's 5 or 6 along the entire road. Sumra and Indian Cottage are particularly good.

A one bedroom flat for £750 please

What about a studio flat? I can't believe there is nowhere in Peckham or Deptford that is affordable anymore as there are some less salubrious parts. But then I'm totally out of touch as a homeowner.

Peckham was nice in the 70's when I grew up there.. good community spirit, shops, library (it was just a porta-cabin then but I spent loads of time there) our school was great, a huge victorian building with a sort of Harry Potteresque storytelling room in a tower :) it also had a 'handicapped' childrens annex, each class had a deaf person in so I know loads of sign language now etc, good place.. Haven been there much recently apart from visiting the very much missed Area 10 event space a few years back.. Have been meaning to check out some of the events at http://boldtendencies.com/ too..

Peckham was nice in the 70's when I grew up there.. good community spirit, shops, library (it was just a porta-cabin then but I spent loads of time there) our school was great, a huge victorian building with a sort of Harry Potteresque storytelling room in a tower :) it also had a 'handicapped' childrens annex, each class had a deaf person in so I know loads of sign language now etc, good place.. Haven been there much recently apart from visiting the very much missed Area 10 event space a few years back.. Have been meaning to check out some of the events at http://boldtendencies.com/ too..

That was the first library I used. My Grandad used to take me there. I can still 'smell' it now. Bizarre how smells sometimes stay with you. :)

That library was crap; I only went in there a few times. The one at the North Peckham Civic Centre was better, or the one I used most, Dulwich.

But saying that.....Lordship Lane has a wonderful selection on Indian restaurants. I think there's 5 or 6 along the entire road. Sumra and Indian Cottage are particularly good.

It has had a good reputation for curry houses for a while now and well before the current hysteria.

But it also has to be said that it had the worst as well. There used to be an Indian on Northcross road which was appalling bar one single fact and that was that it would stay open very late. In fact we once knocked on the door at 3 in the morning and they roused the staff and cooked us up something to eat. Admittedly I was on the loo for the following 48 hours but to be fair to them, I reckon at least 24 of that was down to the amount of booze I had knocked back before getting there.

That library was crap; I only went in there a few times. The one at the North Peckham Civic Centre was better, or the one I used most, Dulwich.

I only have fond memories of it. We moved to East Dulwich when I was about 9 and I started using the Dulwich library myself which was undoubtedly better but it was just a building full of books. There was nothing special about in terms of memories.

It has had a good reputation for curry houses for a while now and well before the current hysteria.

But it also has to be said that it had the worst as well. There used to be an Indian on Northcross road which was appalling bar one single fact and that was that it would stay open very late. In fact we once knocked on the door at 3 in the morning and they roused the staff and cooked us up something to eat. Admittedly I was on the loo for the following 48 hours but to be fair to them, I reckon at least 24 of that was down to the amount of booze I had knocked back before getting there.

Yeah tue it's always been great for Indian food. I remember when I first moved there and think 'this is on par with the restaurants in southall and certainly better than brick lane'

Don't remember the one on north rows road though. That road is unbelievable posh now.

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle...e-town-in-londons-newest-hotspot-8739833.html
Peckhamania: out on the town in London's newest hotspot

The South London neighbourhood is fast becoming a bohemian hotspot, buzzing with go-to galleries, rooftop bars and foodie night markets that make East London look positively parochial. Clive Martin goes out on the scene in SE15
discuss/froth
only just glanced at the article - just want to say that apart from the carpark (which is active about 3 months in the year) theres nothing really to talk about. Bussey building is a fairly modest music venue. The implication that peckham is full of galleries is completely overhyped - i dont think ive even seen a gallery in peckham, which bearing in mind its in between two art colleges is pretty telling.

Heres the evidence presented in the article:
Rye Lane and its nearby streets in particular have become inundated with classy cocktail joints such as Bar Story, Evie Wyld’s Review bookshop, the Sterling Prize-winning Peckham Library, galleries such as Hannah Barry’s, and the Dye House, a multi-use gallery space and filming location run by Nicky Chambers and Guy Forrester. There’s also a slew of decent eateries and low-key club nights such as The South London Soul Train (at the Bussey) and Rhythm Section at Canavan’s. Like it or not, Peckham is on a fearsome ascent.

Point by point
Zero shop changes on the whole length of Rye Lane, so thats an outright lie
Bar Story, a pretty standard bar thats been there a decade < what part of London doesnt have 1 bar?
Review Bookshop? havent seen it, but if theres a bookshop its well tucked away on a sidestreet, and again, is a bookshop a reason to write an article?
Ooh a Library! how exciting Peckham is!
Dye House? never seen it. Some kind of back street warehouse space well out of harms way.
There isnt a slew of decent "eateries", theres about 3 restaurants and theyre all on Bellenden Road.
Peckhams fearsome ascent! A library, a bar, allegedly an art gallery in a warehouse somewhere. Its a load of hype. For now at least.

It's pretty buzzing for clubnights though
true, and I presume most of these people have travelled in (cabs seem to be doing good business) and i hope that continues to a point. I guess I want the best of both worlds - just a touch more nightlife without the mass gentrification of peckham, with the Bellendens confined to their side street.
Also not only has Rye Lane not changed, nor has Peckham High Street. So far.

You're from Swindon or somewhere, aren't you? What would you know?

It's Peckham. Not only is there no Dulwich post code but Rye Lane is a 2-3 minute walk and Lordship Lane is more like 10.

YAWN.

I lived in Peckham until last October. Peckham, not East Dulwich.

Don't forget, most of OF&H was filmed in Bristol.
Indeed - Nelson Mandela House was in fact in Ashton Gate, next door to south Bristol's most repellent building and therefore in the firing line when the tactical nuke of great justice goes off. Not a good investment

SE15 covers a very large area. I lived in SE15, and I lived nowhere near the High Street (probably one of the few areas where the "high street" isn't actually the high street). I lived near Nunhead Cemetery.

SE15 covers a very large area. I lived in SE15, and I lived nowhere near the High Street

That is exactly why I gave further details. Not that I have to explain myself at all. I'm from Swindon, what do I know? :facepalm:

SE15 covers a very large area. I lived in SE15, and I lived nowhere near the High Street (probably one of the few areas where the "high street" isn't actually the high street). I lived near Nunhead Cemetery.
Did you ever visit the secret view of all London?

ain't nothing like the smell of a room full of ageing books :)

Very true. .

And whilst I have stated this before, Peckham Rye Lane used to be one the most highly rated shopping streets in London outside of the West End. It really did have something very special about it and we had family who would make the fearsome, at least for them, trip over the water from the East End to spend their Saturday afternoons shopping down 'The Lane'. I fully accept that the 'good old days' were invariably not but in the case of Peckham then it truly does represent one of the worst cases of urban decay in London today.

Whilst Trust fund kidz might get a buzz out of attending wacky open air bars on the tops of multi-storey carparks that resemble something out of a Mad Max film (and to be fair having been there myself it is an interesting experience) the reality is that for working class people Peckham is not a good place to be raising your family. And nobody seems to truly give a shit about that.

Back
Top Bottom