Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coldharbour Lane, Brixton - news and updates

You showed the former Jack Beard pub - which seems to be undergoing a really dodgy conversion - the upwardly reinforced gates where the entrance to the beer garden was seem rather suspicious. I believe it's in Southwark by the way, so unusually not one to blame Lambeth Planning for.

This article shows how things have changed for homeowners since 1970 - though the pictures in the article don't match the story. Mr Hasan is shown outside his house on the south side of Coldhabour Lane, and then there is another picture of a totally different (and much bigger) house which seems to be on the north side. Man who bought £5k home on 'UK's most dangerous street' says it's now worth £1m

In one of the shops which used to be called "Norris Bedding" (always made me think of shagging Tory MP and erstwhile London Transport supremo Stephen Norris) there has been a window sign saying "Bad Brew Inc" for some months - which I had wondered might be another micro brewery. No, it seems Bad Brew Inc is some sort of Coffee shop. Maybe that branch never got off the ground.
View attachment 408240
Norris bedding still exists, but they've since relocated to Kent. They were on CHL since just after the war. Madonna once bought a bed from them.

Stabbing yesterday afternoon :(

Shame the writer can't even get the street name right though.

A man has been taken to hospital after he was stabbed in Brixton this afternoon.

Police were called to Cold Harbour Lane just before 2pm today (Wednesday) after reports of a man with a slash injury.

The man, aged in his 40s, was taken to hospital and his injuries have been assessed as non-life threatening.
A crime scene remains in place and one person has been arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm.

Police are appealing for anyone with information to call police on 101 quoting the reference CAD3726/17APR24.

A spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police said: “Around 13.58hrs on Wednesday 17 April police were called to Cold Harbour Lane, SW9 to reports of a man with a slash injury.
“The man in his 40s was taken to hospital and his injuries have been assessed as non-life threatening.
“A crime scene remains in place and one person has been arrested on suspicion of Grievous Bodily Harm.

An Eritrean chap I know in the Beehive said the lady running the place has long term health problems - but did not specify.
I guess - depending on who owns it - it will turn into another wine bar/craft ale tap room etc. eventually.
The Asmara used to be vibrant 25 years ago, but not particularly cheap.
I would rate their sort of food more appetising than Labalaba/ENISH 330 Coldharbour Lane opposite the Barrier Block (personal choice).
Asmara now has two competitors very nearby now: Adulis in Brixton Rec undercroft and Light of Africa in Brixton Villaage, so might struggle to make a come-back?

Used to go to Asmara a lot - very friendly couple - but stopped going when they got a very low food hygiene score :(

An Eritrean chap I know in the Beehive said the lady running the place has long term health problems - but did not specify.
I guess - depending on who owns it - it will turn into another wine bar/craft ale tap room etc. eventually.
The Asmara used to be vibrant 25 years ago, but not particularly cheap.
I would rate their sort of food more appetising than Labalaba/ENISH 330 Coldharbour Lane opposite the Barrier Block (personal choice).
Asmara now has two competitors very nearby now: Adulis in Brixton Rec undercroft and Light of Africa in Brixton Villaage, so might struggle to make a come-back?
Don’t forget the other Adulis at the top of Brixton Rd (the better branch in my view) or Adams on Brixton Hill. Enish is Nigerian though, isn’t it?

Don’t forget the other Adulis at the top of Brixton Rd (the better branch in my view) or Adams on Brixton Hill. Enish is Nigerian though, isn’t it?
I guess I was saying my experience of Eritrean cuisine is more appealing than Nigerian (even though I had a 2 week holiday in Enugu State once).
Nigerian Palm wine is excellent however - especially fresh from the tree.

Pleasantly surprised to hear the unexpected 4am change in style from the Barrier Block sound system from identikit autotune ragga/RnB to Cyndi Lauper and Whitney Houston.

Still a pain in the fucking arse though, especially when there's only a handful of people there.

On Friday (3 November 2023), two 15 year-old children (both boys) appeared for a preliminary hearing at the Old Bailey by video-link from Feltham young offender institution. charged with the murder of the Late Keelen Morris Wong, allegedly acting in concert with Kyiza Sandiford.

The court heard details - some graphic - of the circumstances of the “planned attack” on Keelen Morris Wong, the weapon used, and the fatal wound that it caused.

Judge Mark Dennis KC set a plea hearing for 5 January 2024 and a provisional trial for all three defendants for 2 September 2024.

Keelen_Morris_Wong.jpg

Anyone who has information that may assist the investigation should call 101 or post via @MetCC ref CAD 5530/03OCT. To remain anonymous, contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

The trial of Kyiza Sandiford and two children charged with murder in relation to the stabbing of The Late Keelen Morris Wong is now scheduled to commence this morning in Court 10 at the Old Bailey.

The trial of Kyiza Sandiford and two children charged with murder in relation to the stabbing of The Late Keelen Morris Wong is now scheduled to commence this morning in Court 10 at the Old Bailey.

A depressingly familiar story emerges at the opening of this murder trial ... and it is revealed that the fatal attack was captured on dashcam footage:

"From conversations that (the 16-year-old defendants) had, which were recovered by the police in the course of their investigation, it would appear that the killing of Mr Wong was in response to the earlier murder of an associate of the defendants."

Keelen Morris Wong Murder: Court shown stabbing captured on car's dashcam

The trial continues.

Back
Top Bottom