Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coldharbour Lane, Brixton - news and updates

I'm a bit foxed by the transport angle here.
Buses P4, 35, 45, and 345 are all diverted via Herne Hill and Denmark Hill still -but TFL website shows "clear route" for all of these. Not only this the bus indicator boards at those bus stops which have them are showing buses dude - which obviously aren't as they are going via Herne Hill.
Bus stops in Coldharbour Lane have "Bus Stop Closed" signs - even whilst the indicator board say buses are coming (and a smattering of passengers wait around believing it!)
The police still have guarding Coldharbour Lane, Gresham Road and Brixton Station Road cordoned off with officers monitoring.
Pedestrian trips to the town centre mean walking down Barrington Road/St James's Crescent then Western Road and Gresham Road.
Alternatively a P5 bus - these are unaffected.

Are the police likely to find anything in the quarantine area? I feel about shutting off whole bus routes for a day or more a bit like Gramsci feels about section 60 orders.
I wondered last night, walking back from Brixton via St Jame's Crescent if this transport shut-down wasn't a convenient way to stop people coming to gawp - or make trouble.

I saw section of Brixton Station road was taped off tonight. By Gresham road. With police forensic van there.

There was a gathering by the spot where the kid was murdered earlier this evening. There's going to be a candlelit vigil tomorrow (around 7pm, I think) which I think I'll go along to.

There's such a sad and angry vibe around the block since the killing.

1696451576238.png

Reactions: CH1
Buses P4, 35, 45, and 345 are all diverted via Herne Hill and Denmark Hill still -but TFL website shows "clear route" for all of these. Not only this the bus indicator boards at those bus stops which have them are showing buses dude - which obviously aren't as they are going via Herne Hill.

TFL have got quite bad at getting disruption / diversion information up on to the website, there was one near mum-tat (think it was due to emergency roadworks) recently that took 3 or 4 days to appear.

combination of lack of staff, and lack of management will. buses and bus passengers are not seen as a priority in TFL now...

Not just round the block editor although I’m sure it’s far stronger and more palpable there.

I was in Brixton Town today and there was a sad angry feeling. Small quiet down-looking gatherings at various spots. Almost no music playing out, and what was being played (Carlton was the only one, I think) was not joyous, and not loud. I spoke with some people and there’s the usual helplessness and searching for reasons. I mostly spoke with older people and they were quick to tell me how different it was when they were young, either here or back home.

What can we do. What can we say.

I mostly spoke with older people and they were quick to tell me how different it was when they were young, either here or back home.

What can we do. What can we say.
You could remind them there were murders (shootings as well as stabbings) in Brixton in the 90s and 00s. The murder rate has generally declined.
Of course I agree the issue now of kids, gangs and knives is horrific but not sure misty eyed "it wasn't like this in my day" is that helpful.

:confused:

You seem to be assuming I’m some kind of idiot.

Obviously I haven’t reported the entire conversation with scripted accuracy.

You seem to have assumed that I’m in agreement with this viewpoint and didn’t say anything else.

Next time something like this happens I’ll make sure that I come on here and check with you what I ought to say rather than having a conversation aided by my own common sense, opinions and experience.

You could remind them there were murders (shootings as well as stabbings) in Brixton in the 90s and 00s. The murder rate has generally declined.
Of course I agree the issue now of kids, gangs and knives is horrific but not sure misty eyed "it wasn't like this in my day" is that helpful.
Older people would have been young in the 60s and 70s so why would story be lecturing them about what happened in the 90s and 00s?

The point being it wasn't always better in the past as many older people like to say - especially about London crime, which tends to be about immigration/racism when it's from white people who now live in Kent etc.

:confused:

You seem to be assuming I’m some kind of idiot.

Obviously I haven’t reported the entire conversation with scripted accuracy.

You seem to have assumed that I’m in agreement with this viewpoint and didn’t say anything else.

Next time something like this happens I’ll make sure that I come on here and check with you what I ought to say rather than having a conversation aided by my own common sense, opinions and experience.
well I can only form an opinion and reply to the part of the conversation you shared :confused:

The point being it wasn't always better in the past as many older people like to say - especially about London crime, which tends to be about immigration/racism when it's from white people who now live in Kent etc.
I really don't think this is a particularly appropriate discussion to be having at this time.

wire-76204671-1696511992-37_634x1027.jpg

(Source: Metropolitan Police/PA)

The Late Keelen Morris Wong

Condolences to the family, friends and all others affected by the fatal stabbing of The Late Keelen Morris Wong in Coldharbour Lane shortly before 4.45 p.m. on Tuesday 3 October 2023.

Anyone who has information that can help those investigating it should call 101 or post via @MetCC ref CAD 5530/03OCT.

To remain anonymous contact the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111

The candlelit vigil is taking place now in front of the Barrier Block. I was there for a little while, kept a respectful distance and reflected on such a terrible waste of a young man's life. I don't think I've ever known my neighbours to be so down. RIP Keelen.

He and his family were well known in the community. I want to go to one of the vigils but I don't have a babysitter but I am thinking of them, especially those I know personally.

wire-76204671-1696511992-37_634x1027.jpg

(Source: Metropolitan Police/PA)

The Late Keelen Morris Wong

Condolences to the family, friends and all others affected by the fatal stabbing of The Late Keelen Morris Wong in Coldharbour Lane shortly before 4.45 p.m. on Tuesday 3 October 2023.

Anyone who has information that can help those investigating it should call 101 or post via @MetCC ref CAD 5530/03OCT.

To remain anonymous contact the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111

Detectives investigating the fatal stabbing of the Late Keelen Morris Wong have now arrested a 15 year-old child on suspicion of murder and possession of an offensive weapon. He remains in custody along with a man, aged 23, who was arrested after attending hospital on the day of the killing.

Anyone who has information that can help those investigating this killing should call 101 or post via @MetCC ref CAD 5530/03OCT.

.​

Detectives investigating the fatal stabbing of the Late Keelen Morris Wong have now arrested a 15 year-old child on suspicion of murder and possession of an offensive weapon. He remains in custody along with a man, aged 23, who was arrested after attending hospital on the day of the killing.

Anyone who has information that can help those investigating this killing should call 101 or post via @MetCC ref CAD 5530/03OCT.

.​
15 years old. That is shocking.

The key thing is what is the difference between the Krays and the Richardsons, and the current street gangs? Because it isn't the level of violence and murder.

The key thing is what is the difference between the Krays and the Richardsons, and the current street gangs? Because it isn't the level of violence and murder.
The answer being that the former reacted to being kept down by the class structure, and the latter are reacting to being kept down by the class structure and racism.

The answer being that the former reacted to being kept down by the class structure, and the latter are reacting to being kept down by the class structure and racism.
I don't agree with that. It's a way of avoiding moral responsibility.
Black children killing each other is the result of racism?
The logical answer is that children who kill have not learned basic moral rules. Or have regressed into a culture of "honor killing"
Regression seems likely for the Croydon killing Schoolgirl Elianne Andam 'chased and stabbed in neck with kitchen knife'
Poor girl tries to mediate between her friend and a persistent but unwanted suitor - and gets stabbed to death.

No story yet on Coldharbour Lane - but how can a 3 against one black on black murder be attributed to white racism?

I'm white - and I had to put up with a triade from a mask-wearing black man this afternoon on a 133 bus. Apparently I was closer to him at the bus exit than his required 2 metres - so he balled out the whole downstairs of the bus for a couple of minutes until the driver stopped and opened the door between stops - to get some peace and quiet presumably.
I've been around a long time - I'm 69 - and frankly we shouldn't have to put up with paranoid behaviour on public transport. Or child murder.

Well the former was largely about crime and money and the latter is mainly about the fact they live in different housing estates and have no guidance.

No one is excusing aggression or child murder. But if you oppress people and keep them in poverty, the results of inhumane treatment are always violence. Add to that the drugs economy and you have a perfect storm.
I think it is something different. To me it seems that permission has been granted to carry knives and use them.
I don't mean that it's legal - simply that it is OK in the peer group community - or possibly more than that using knives had become de rigueur.
Obviously if you could send all these children to Eton or Roedean with the promise of a good career ahead the knife culture would cease.
But that is not going to happen is it?
Is your solution to just accept it then? Like Americans accept the Rght to Bear Arms?

I think it is something different. To me it seems that permission has been granted to carry knives and use them.
I don't mean that it's legal - simply that it is OK in the peer group community - or possibly more than that using knives had become de rigueur.
Obviously if you could send all these children to Eton or Roedean with the promise of a good career ahead the knife culture would cease.
But that is not going to happen is it?
Is your solution to just accept it then? Like Americans accept the Rght to Bear Arms?
No, of course not. How are you getting acceptance from me or anyone else?
My solution is better education, better support for families, better support for mental health, better support for addiction, better support for offenders.
There is no other solution. What's yours?

No, of course not. How are you getting acceptance from me or anyone else?
My solution is better education, better support for families, better support for mental health, better support for addiction, better support for offenders.
There is no other solution. What's yours?
Find out where the knives are coming from and stop it. Huge penalties for selling knives.
Make mobile phone messaging traceable and unencrypted.

Looks as though the father of Keelen Wong is some sort of pastor. Be interested on his view. Seems like faith based solutions don't work any more.

Rather sad that picture of him crying at the rally in Windrush Square is available for $29
"Rally for Brixton stabbing Victim in London, UK - 6 Oct 2023 The father of stabbing victim, Keelen Morris Wong breaks down during a speech at the son s rally in Windrush Square. Mr Keelen Morris Wong was fatally stabbed in Brixton s busy Coldharbour Lane in broad daylight in front of horrified shoppers. London United Kingdom Copyright: xThaboxJaiyesimix xSOPAxImagesx untitled-0295"

Everything is now commodified - even a father's grief at the death of his son.

Back
Top Bottom