Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coffee pot physics query

danny la rouge

More like *fanny* la rouge!
I use a Bialetti stovetop pot. Into it I put the grinds from beans ground in a DeLonghi electric burr grinder. Recently I replaced the pot's rubber gasket, as you have to periodically.

However, recently the pot has been leaking as it boils and producing one and a half demi tasse cups instead of two. This is insupportable. What is going wrong, and how do I rectify it?

The valve is a safety relief valve designed to open at a given pressure, so you have either increased pressure in the chamber by limiting the ability for steam to move upwards, or the valve is dysfunctional in some way.

The pressure problem could be caused by a blocked filter - the metal disc - or by putting too much/too fine/too packed a coffee in it that the steam can't get through. This is why they say don't tamp it.

The valve is a safety relief valve designed to open at a given pressure, so you have either increased pressure in the chamber by limiting the ability for steam to move upwards, or the valve is dysfunctional in some way.

The pressure problem could be caused by a blocked filter - the metal disc - or by putting too much/too fine/too packed a coffee in it that the steam can't get through. This is why they say don't tamp it.
Hmm. I’ll try some things to test which of those it is.

Yeah I'd clean out the metal filter really thoroughly and if that doesnt work, replace it.

You should also try just using boiling water and running it through a few times (ie without coffee). Try not filling the water level up so much initially. There might be a gentle cleaning solution you could use too to degunk the inside... maybe a dash of white vinegar.

Is the water hard in your area?

Is the water hard in your area?
No. Very soft. It comes from Loch Katrine.

The main variable is the new grinder. It grinds slightly too much coffee. I have it on its lowest setting, but still produces a surplus and I suspect I’m putting too much coffee in the pot because I hate waste.

Clean thoroughly inside. Run it through twice with water and once with water and vinegar and then report back. Doubt its the coffee, although if you properly overfill it and tap it down hard then it could affect the pressure yeah.

(I have had issues with the holes in the metal filter getting blocked too though, so would definitely look at that too)

These things are known to circumvent laws of physics. In my household one person occasionally manages to make a pot where the water fails to come through, similar to what danny la rouge describes. This never happens when I make it. This is confined to one stovetop pot in particular. There is no discernable difference in method; this has been checked by close observation. The only explanations are supernatural ones.

I use a Bialetti stovetop pot. Into it I put the grinds from beans ground in a DeLonghi electric burr grinder. Recently I replaced the pot's rubber gasket, as you have to periodically.

However, recently the pot has been leaking as it boils and producing one and a half demi tasse cups instead of two. This is insupportable. What is going wrong, and how do I rectify it?
576C475F-6606-4541-9B70-AB3510BFE21D.jpeg

I wouldn’t dismiss the grind as a potential factor. Overheating might be an issue as I guess that would increase pressure in the chamber, spike it. That would also potentially cause some form of channeling (forcing the water through gaps in the coffee rather than extracting evenly). Start with boiling water, low heat, remove from heat as it starts to bubble is iirc the right approach. I just use an aeropress but they’re better suited to single cups.

These things are known to circumvent laws of physics. In my household one person occasionally manages to make a pot where the water fails to come through, similar to what danny la rouge describes. This never happens when I make it. This is confined to one stovetop pot in particular. There is no discernable difference in method; this has been checked by close observation. The only explanations are supernatural ones.
We have that with our printer.

When I try to turn it on it can take a lot of attempts until it does, or it doesn't at all.

When I need it I get my wife to turn it on. It always starts first time for her.

When I try to turn it on it can take a lot of attempts until it does, or it doesn't at all.

When I need it I get my wife to turn it on. It always starts first time for her.
It's the other way for me. People tear their hair out trying to fix things, call me in, and it works first time. It has got to the point where I'll say "look, I'll just stand here while you do it, and we'll see what happens". It would seem that my mere presence is often enough to get computer equipment (particularly) behaving itself. Of course - and much as I prefer not to disagree with the estimable teuchter - there is nothing metaphysical about it.

Do you by any chance impatiently stab at the on button?

Back
Top Bottom