Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Clubs / raves that people raved about that actually were mint.

I used to go to Voodoo at McGonagles. I was the only metaller at the early house nights. :D \m/

First place I heard Stakker Humanoid.

I might have been at that Public Enemy gig as well....I went to loads of gigs there.

I remember the sheer delight at securing tickets for the Nirvana gig, thinking how awesome it would be for them to play a relatively small venue.

Then due to "illness", the gig was cancelled and rescheduled for the Point. :(

I remember the sheer delight at securing tickets for the Nirvana gig, thinking how awesome it would be for them to play a relatively small venue.

Then due to "illness", the gig was cancelled and rescheduled for the Point. :(

Did they end up playing The Point gig?

I definitely remember seeing Public Enemy play a short set on College Green in the afternoon. I think we bunked off school for that.. I'm not 100% on the McGonagles gig though, I'm sure I'd remember but you never know.

Three memorable Trinity debutants

Public Enemy – June 1988
A tale of two gigs this one. The first, an afternoon appearance at the Trinity Ball, was nothing to write home about. The second, later that same evening, in McGonagles, was unforgettable. Perhaps the first headline hip-hop act to visit the country, Chuck D used the opportunity – in between bruisingly loud songs – to educate the audience on civil rights.

Cooltan in Brixton was bloody amazing.
I went to my first rave at Cooltan.

I ended up there one night by accident and it was the first time I'd heard trance/techno over a proper soundsystem. I stayed there dancing pretty much til it ended, completely straight except a few vodkas I'd had before I got there. I was amazed how everyone was so friendly and full of energy - it was only later that someone pointed out they were all on ecstasy :facepalm::D

That night actually changed my life :cool:

I went to my first rave at Cooltan.

I ended up there one night by accident and it was the first time I'd heard trance/techno over a proper soundsystem. I stayed there dancing pretty much til it ended, completely straight except a few vodkas I'd had before I got there. I was amazed how everyone was so friendly and full of energy - it was only later that someone pointed out they were all on ecstasy :facepalm::D

That night actually changed my life :cool:
Cooltan absolutely changed my life too - I loved the mix of art, music, politics and community activism/involvement and it took balls to keep that going when Brixton was a substantially rougher place to be.

Listening back, I certainly remember him playing hip hop at the start of his set so maybe, just i remember there being a banging tune that I'd asked Wetherall for an ID and he showed me the sleeve, and turned out to be a tune by padded cell, which I didn't catch on that mix. Maybe I missed it or maybe he played at the night more than once

I've just checked- I have 2 parts. Part 1 is the Soundcloud 1 above, which starts with hip hop. Part 2 is higher on the tempos but finishes off with his remix of MBV- Glide. As below.

This is a bit subjective and situation-dependent. My raving days are long behind me but had amazing nights at unknown clubs/raves and rubbish experiences at the supposedly amazing ones. Just depended on the circumstances, the crowd, the company and the quality of the consumables.

Good article about Sterns on the BBC site today. Mentions a 90min documentary coming soon.
Sterns: The raves in the house on the hill

_108160866_67372651_436973573566129_7305107198554669056_n.jpg

Last edited:
One of my favourites in 1992/93 was Loosen Up, run by Nick Hook, used to be in a small basement club, think it was round the back of The Astoria in Soho. It was a club that pushed the progressive house genre but music varied from house to trance/techno.
Always a great atmosphere as you could only fit a couple of hundred in but they had some well known DJs playing, used to go with a lady in her 40s who was a friend of my landlady and the mother of one of the bouncers so we always knew we'd get in despite being scruffy types.

Last edited:
The Orbit
Atomic Jam
Woooosh, Marcus Garvey Centre, loads of DIY & Smokescreen events, BPI, Staircase, Skyy club, Venus & loads more which escape my memory (Nottingham)
Leadmill, Occasions, Limit Club, Palais, Nelson Mandela building, The City Hall ballroom & loads more again(Sheffield)

One offs of note.......
E-Werk
Ostgut (it was the period when Tresor was closed)
Oh wow, did you go BPI?! I did to! The little club opposite the concert hall and under Madisons I think it was!!

Just tonight I found a tune on YouTube which they played there, been looking for it since back then and so thought I'd Google for BPI again, maybe two years ago I did and could only find one mention of the place on a forum which had long since closed down.

Infact I remember a guy called Matty I'm sure, were you seeing a girl with dreadlocks at the time, or maybe knew that guy called Jon?

What a club that was!!
Anyways, I hope you find this message.

Simon.

Yes. Cheers Simon, I did. The girl with dreads had nothing to do with me. There's a lot of Matts in Nottingham. I remember a tape existing for a long time after the club which was by Torch at BPI.
Did you go to any other Notts clubs? I knew a Simon through clubbing but a few years after BPI, mainly at Deluxe.

Troll at Soundshaft 90/91 probably the best club I frequented. Completely drugged fuelled, neon lit cartoon characters adorned the walls, the atmosphere was electric and It furnished me with so many good memories, memories (regardless of the Ecstasy) that I will never ever forget. 88/89/90/91 absolute classic times and a youth culture that I am glad to say I was a part of.....
Strawberry Sundae at Cloud 9 Vauxhall
Trade in 1991 Turnmills

There's a 'Bring back Sterns!!' event on Friday 1st July 2022 at the 'La Room' in Worthing, featuring the original Sterns DJ Ellis Dee, being promoted on UK Base Radio.

I'm going to try and get down for the spiral party and the exhibition.

I think some of the Bedlam crew are doing something too ( whether it is the same thing or not I'm not sure)

I'm going to try and get down for the spiral party and the exhibition.

I think some of the Bedlam crew are doing something too ( whether it is the same thing or not I'm not sure)

The Bedlam party, with Chris & Aaron Liberator, is on Thursday 26th.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom