Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

cloud storage for music

gentlegreen

I hummus, therefore I am ...
In order to facilitate emigrating, far too late I'm a third of the way through ripping my entire CD collection and I realise that even as FLAC, it will likely take less than 500GB.
I will have multiple and geographically separate copies, but cloud backup seems like a good idea ...
Clearly I might well be able to fit all my music as MP3s on my next phone, but unlikely though it is, I might possibly be one day separated from a physical copy of the uncompressed files ...

And I'm hoping I might also find the enthusiasm to get into video blogging etc ...

Google Drive seems painfully clunky ...
I wondered what others do ...

Pop a bigger memory card in your phone and put flac files on there
It's a Motorola G4 - don't think I can go bigger than the 128GB card I already have - plus I like the idea of joining the modern world and having everything joined-up now that I actually buy data ...

Edit : - looks like 256 is possible but that's still too small...

It's a Motorola G4 - don't think I can go bigger than the 128GB card I already have - plus I like the idea of joining the modern world and having everything joined-up now that I actually buy data ...

Edit : - looks like 256 is possible but that's still too small...
Get 2 x 256 then and swap them round

I had all my mp3s stored on Google servers when Google Play Music was a thing. It was great. Virtually unlimited storage of music, plus streaming and downloading to personal devices.

Then it became YouTube Music, and now I can't download the songs individually to my phone.

I had all my mp3s stored on Google servers when Google Play Music was a thing. It was great. Virtually unlimited storage of music, plus streaming and downloading to personal devices.

Then it became YouTube Music, and now I can't download the songs individually to my phone.
Google had some nice things I thought I could never live without...
I'm a Google whore though - I have Youtube Premium and couldn't keep my email tidy so I already pay for 100GB and I somehow already have 30GB up there - in the past I've found stuff had been uploading that I absolutely didn't want to be out in the wild...

I use Dropbox 2TB of storage costs me £96 per annum. They offer lots of free add-ons none of which I have ever found a use for but that doesn't mean others don't
There is a client installed my Desktop and a folder on one of its hard drives defined to the client. Any file I place in that folder (including my complete music collection) is automatically synced up to the Dropbox server.
(you can configure whether or not you want the original deleted or left there). I have Dropbox clients on my phone and both my tablets so I can access any files whilst away from home.
My complete music collection (some 4000+ albums) in a mixture of MP3 and FLAC (mostly MP3) takes up 347Gb of that 2Tb

Google had some nice things I thought I could never live without...
I'm a Google whore though - I have Youtube Premium and couldn't keep my email tidy so I already pay for 100GB and I somehow already have 30GB up there - in the past I've found stuff had been uploading that I absolutely didn't want to be out in the wild...

Same here. In fact at the weekend I did go through a couple of old hard drives with my music on with a view to retrieving stuff that I wouldn't be able to access on spotify (compilations, radio shows, mixes etc) and I've temporarily relocated a few folders onto my icloud storage from where I can play the tracks but I could really use player like what Google Play Music was with artist/album search.

Same here. In fact at the weekend I did go through a couple of old hard drives with my music on with a view to retrieving stuff that I wouldn't be able to access on spotify (compilations, radio shows, mixes etc) and I've temporarily relocated a few folders onto my icloud storage from where I can play the tracks but I could really use player like what Google Play Music was with artist/album search.
Something like PLEX might work for you?

I don't use it for music but I have a 2TB reservation on Azure Files for my business/investment/financial documents that costs me about A$80/year.

I use Dropbox 2TB of storage costs me £96 per annum. They offer lots of free add-ons none of which I have ever found a use for but that doesn't mean others don't
There is a client installed my Desktop and a folder on one of its hard drives defined to the client. Any file I place in that folder (including my complete music collection) is automatically synced up to the Dropbox server.
(you can configure whether or not you want the original deleted or left there). I have Dropbox clients on my phone and both my tablets so I can access any files whilst away from home.
My complete music collection (some 4000+ albums) in a mixture of MP3 and FLAC (mostly MP3) takes up 347Gb of that 2Tb
:thumbs:I'd forgotten about Dropbox

Something like PLEX might work for you?

I've used plex quite a bit for watching video at home on a NAS (until it died :(). I'm thinking the ideal solution would be a player that could tap into icloud storage for playing music on the move. If Plex will do that then I'll have a look.

In order to facilitate emigrating, far too late I'm a third of the way through ripping my entire CD collection and I realise that even as FLAC, it will likely take less than 500GB.
I will have multiple and geographically separate copies, but cloud backup seems like a good idea ...
Clearly I might well be able to fit all my music as MP3s on my next phone, but unlikely though it is, I might possibly be one day separated from a physical copy of the uncompressed files ...

And I'm hoping I might also find the enthusiasm to get into video blogging etc ...

Google Drive seems painfully clunky ...
I wondered what others do ...

The IPFS (Interplanetary File System) is worth a good look IMHO.

IPFS Powers the Distributed Web

Your music will be out there long after you're dead ... chances are, it's all on the IPFS already, which will explain why it "uploaded" your 500GB in a couple of minutes or even seconds.

Back
Top Bottom