Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Chris Kaba, 24, shot dead by police in Streatham, Mon 5th Sept 2022

I'm of the opinion that there has been no justice.
Could you explain why please, quoting the appropriate sections of the evidence presented to the jury which you feel were incorrect or incomplete?

The policeman was charged with murder. The prosecution and defence presented their evidence, the jury came to a decision. As far as I'm aware, this has been the process in criminal trials for over a century.

Do you feel that all trials conducted under this process are flawed, or just in this instance?

I'm sorry, but just because the verdict of the jury wasn't what you wanted, that does not mean the case was flawed.

I do think that the charge should have been murder or manslaughter, the policeman didn't go out that day with the intent of killing someone. It is entirely possible that a manslaughter charge could have engendered a different verdict. If murder was the sole charge, then it leaves the jury with nowhere to go with regard to manslaughter.

Could you explain why please, quoting the appropriate sections of the evidence presented to the jury which you feel were incorrect or incomplete?

The policeman was charged with murder. The prosecution and defence presented their evidence, the jury came to a decision. As far as I'm aware, this has been the process in criminal trials for over a century.

Do you feel that all trials conducted under this process are flawed, or just in this instance?

I'm sorry, but just because the verdict of the jury wasn't what you wanted, that does not mean the case was flawed.

I do think that the charge should have been manslaughter, the policeman didn't go out that day with the intent of killing someone. It is entirely possible that a manslaughter charge could have engendered a different verdict. If murder was the sole charge, then it leaves the jury with nowhere to go with regard to manslaughter.
I know yer man was charged with murder. It has after all been mentioned once or twice on the thread. And yeh maybe it was the wrong charge to get a result. But I've never had much confidence in the ability of the cps in cases like these. I don't see the judge's summing up reported anywhere, that might have some answers. However time and again cops get off despite all the evidence. Perhaps the family will launch a civil suit: if so I'd be happy to donate toward legal costs

I know yer man was charged with murder. It has after all been mentioned once or twice on the thread. And yeh maybe it was the wrong charge to get a result. But I've never had much confidence in the ability of the cps in cases like these. I don't see the judge's summing up reported anywhere, that might have some answers. However time and again cops get off despite all the evidence. Perhaps the family will launch a civil suit: if so I'd be happy to donate toward legal costs
I've no doubt that there will be more detail in tomorrow's press.

The prosecution and defence presented their evidence, the jury came to a decision. As far as I'm aware, this has been the process in criminal trials for over a century.

Not all jury trials are flawed but hundreds are. This is just majority verdict cases: Majority verdicts facilitated 56 miscarriages of justice in England and Wales, charity says. You must know of many more where juries have been directed etc etc.

I don't know enough about the details here but if you think the CPS messed it up and a manslaughter charge was possible then there's been a miscarriage of the system somewhere. Ultimately it means there's (another) trigger happy copper still at large.

Well i think the CPS would have considered manslaughter v murder, they no doubt had advice theselves on it however they must have felt to have enough evidence to realisitcly secure a conviction. their guidence on their website states 'Assessing whether there is a realistic prospect of conviction includes an objective assessment of the evidence including the likelihood of this defence being raised and of the prosecution disproving it to the criminal standard'. Like you i would like to read the judge's summing up.

Ultimately it means there's (another) trigger happy copper still at large.

I doubt this copper will ever be carrying a gun again on the job.

We don't have trigger happy coppers, unlike across the pond, in the year ending in 2023, armed response attended on almost 13,500 occasions, only 10 times were their guns discharged, resulting in 2 or 3 deaths. It's so rare, which is why it generates so much media attention.

In this case, the car Kaba was driving had been flagged up as having been involved in a shooting the night before, surely we can all agree that needed following up?

The cops, putting their own lives at risk, brought it to a stand still, by boxing it in, then surrounding it by armed cops, surely we can all agree that's the time to get out the fucking car, with your hands up?

This twat decided to ram the cop cars and try to break out of the box, the crazy bastard, and in a second or two, the cop decided the situation was too risky and discharged his gun.

A murder charge was never going to be agreed by a jury, I think they should have been given the manslaughter option, but I am far from convinced they would have even convicted on that, TBH.

We don't have trigger happy coppers, unlike across the pond, in the year ending in 2023, armed response attended on almost 13,500 occasions, only 10 times were their guns discharged, resulting in 2 or 3 deaths. It's so rare, which is why it generates so much media attention.

In this case, the car Kaba was driving had been flagged up as having been involved in a shooting the night before, surely we can all agree that needed following up?

The cops, putting their own lives at risk, brought it to a stand still, by boxing it in, then surrounding it by armed cops, surely we can all agree that's the time to get out the fucking car, with your hands up?

This twat decided to ram the cop cars and try to break out of the box, the crazy bastard, and in a second or two, the cop decided the situation was too risky and discharged his gun.

A murder charge was never going to be agreed by a jury, I think they should have been given the manslaughter option, but I am far from convinced they would have even convicted on that, TBH.
It wasn't exactly an ordinary police stop I imagine with blue lights behind him a police car coming head on towards him he was probably scared stiff.So I don't think we can say he was acting like a " crazy bastard".

It wasn't exactly an ordinary police stop I imagine with blue lights behind him a police car coming head on towards him he was probably scared stiff.So I don't think we can say he was acting like a " crazy bastard".

That's how being boxed in by cops work, it happens all the time, there's nothing unusual in that whatsoever.

Having been 'boxed' and surrounded by armed cops, you have to be a crazy bastard to think ramming the cop cars in an attempt to escape was a good idea.

armed cops, surely we can all agree that's the time to get out the fucking car, with your hands up?
'we' as young black men living in south London? Dunno, I mean I would but I'm a middle aged white man. Or maybe I'd freeze.

This twat

the crazy bastard

aka 'Chris Kaba, young man killed by the police'

Someone said on another thread that the words we write are searchable. Whatever you think about the case, you could be less of a dick about how you discuss it.

Unless they overcharged deliberately which was suggestion in the trayon killing and that vigilante kid with the ar15.

Mr Kaba was attempting to smash his way out of a roadblock either because he thought he could get away or panic the coppers defense was he belived Mr kaba was attemping to use his car as a weapon .
The pice aren't trigger happy they have killed 88 people since 1990 hardly trigger happy.

Once faced a stolen car in Cyprus it stopped at a road block if the driver and friends had made any attempt to flee they'd have been hit with over a hundred rounds 8 soldiers with Sa80 and two ferret armoured cars with belt fed machine guns now that's trigger happy!
Florida police in 6 years shot over 800 people including bystanders!

You’re not normally an arse cupid_stunt . Why now, on this issue?

You could have made the same point without the derision.

I live very close to where this happened.
The night of the shooting I posted on the helicopter thread saying that it was unusual to hear the copters up here and I suspected something was wrong.

After it happened the whole area was sullen and jumpy for a while.

The cops were really fucking rude. See my post 122 on this thread, but there were other instances too.

They seemed to use it as an opportunity to assert their authority, just by barrelling about and “having a friendly chat” with young Black people who clearly wanted nothing to do with them.

Some may suggest that they were doing social policing and making their presence felt, doing their job. It didn’t look like that to me, it looked like pushing into a community still hurting from being hit with the shitty stick once again.

Groups of young black men gathering in certain spots have every right to do so. Being approached by coppers never happens unless there’s been some kind of incident.

The gap between the intention and the way it’s received is vast and the police don’t understand it.

I’m baffled by how stupid local cops are about local issues, local people, local culture.

An incident like this has to be viewed with knowledge understanding and appreciation of the complex underlying issues and long history of police violence and death of Black men in custody, and all the rest of it.

Of course the court case is big and important, and we need to see more information and detail. But that’s not the only important part of the story.

Yet another Black man killed by police, and apparently no one being held to account.

Yet another painful event that must now be absorbed by the local community.

Sarah Everard was abducted very close to here as well. By a copper. The area was under close scrutiny by the police until that camera footage was seen and Couzens was identified. Of course it’s a wildly different story, but these two things, both perpetrated by cops, both local, one (the victim being white) results in a conviction and other (victim being Black) doesn’t. Things are weighted differently depending on the colour of your skin. It’s not logical and they’re not comparable, but it adds to sum of hurt.

Last edited:
Not all jury trials are flawed but hundreds are. This is just majority verdict cases: Majority verdicts facilitated 56 miscarriages of justice in England and Wales, charity says. You must know of many more where juries have been directed etc etc.

I don't know enough about the details here but if you think the CPS messed it up and a manslaughter charge was possible then there's been a miscarriage of the system somewhere. Ultimately it means there's (another) trigger happy copper still at large.
Yeah, having been on the jury for a murder case, the argument the prosecution made was very much "we think this person is a murderer and you should convict them of that, but if you don't think it counts as murder then you should find them guilty of manslaughter instead." Since the CPS definitely have the ability to charge cases that way, it'd be a bit baffling for them to do anything else.

Can you tell me how you would get out of a car with your hands up pls.

I think if people on here are going to make allowances for why Martyn Blake had to shoot Chris Kaba in the head and kill him they should afford Chris Kaba the same and not buy the police's line that he deserved to be shot at by trying to drive out of being boxed in.

Another black man has been killed in police custody. Another family unnecessarily left distraught. The police have once again closed ranks and complained about the scrutiny.

There is understandably a lot of hurt and upset and anger about this case. A reminder that there is the demo this Saturday at noon in Trafalgar Square supporting families who have lost friends in police custody over the past 30 years. United Families & Friends (@uffcampaign) • Instagram photos and videos

Very weird quote at the end of this article saying the police are unable to give accurate information about stressful situations.
“In high-stress situations the brain remembers the key bits and discards other things so people get, for instance, the sequence wrong.

“In my case 14 people, 12 police officers and two civilians, were witnesses, and not one of them got their evidence right.”

Back
Top Bottom