Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Chevron and the pollution of the Amazon in Ecuador

teqniq

DisMembered
I've been aware of this now for quite some time but just watched this youtube vid:

The human rights lawyer, Steven Donziger is currently under house arrest in the U.S. on trumped-up charges of criminal contempt of court. Wrt to what's happened in Ecuador, it's a prima facie case of ecocide or under current legislation, crimes against humanity. Chevron are absolute scum, who knew?

I've been aware of this now for quite some time but just watched this youtube vid:

The human rights lawyer, Steven Donziger is currently under house arrest in the U.S. on trumped-up charges of criminal contempt of court. Wrt to what's happened in Ecuador, it's a prima facie case of ecocide or under current legislation, crimes against humanity. Chevron are absolute scum, who knew?

I read that linked story a while back so yeah, I know about that aspect.

I've also been to the Amazon in Ecuador (2008) and know and have seen the destruction and displacement BigOil has caused there. It's not just Chevron. Tbh I can't remember in enough detail to give it justice to posting the stories I was told but this stuff has, needless to say, been going on years. And it was very violent 20-30 years ago with indigenous people losing their lives. And being displaced.

Will the U.S. ignore this ruling? The U.N. is after all, famously toothless:

E2a Actually after reading the linked article the U.S. may have to release him:

In the decision, the U.N. working group requested that the U.S. Government “take the steps necessary to remedy the situation of Mr. Steven Donziger without delay and bring it in conformity with the relevant international norms, including those set out in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights” -- both treaties signed by the United States and binding as domestic law on all state actors, including judges. [/quote[

Last edited:
I read a couple of articles on that case yesterday, an absolute stinker. The guy has basically been placed under house arrest by a corporation. The judge who issued the order is a leader of the Federalist Society, a pro-business legal group, which Chevron donates to.

The US is really fucking weird for having all these pro-business anti-human groups, like how does that philosophy develop, are people radicalised through the education system or something? Is acquisition of wealth something to be protected at any cost?

I read a couple of articles on that case yesterday, an absolute stinker. The guy has basically been placed under house arrest by a corporation. The judge who issued the order is a leader of the Federalist Society, a pro-business legal group, which Chevron donates to.

The US is really fucking weird for having all these pro-business anti-human groups, like how does that philosophy develop, are people radicalised through the education system or something? Is acquisition of wealth something to be protected at any cost?

If you look at nearly anything dodgy going on, you can usually find the Federalist Society somewhere around. Look at our last few Supreme Court picks. All dodgy as fuck, all groomed by the Federalist Society.

This guy is a complete scumbag:

US Supreme Court denies Donziger’s petition seeking review of his contempt conviction: U.S. Supreme Court lets Chevron foe Donziger's contempt conviction stand

Perhaps what's worst about this is that it was two conservative justices (Gorsuch and Kavanaugh) who would have allowed the petition. The three liberal justices clearly utterly love corporate control over the US 'justice' system.

Back
Top Bottom