Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cheap Android phone recommendations

Just order a Redmi 10 thinking it was the Note 10. FFS. Have tried to cancel the order! Why do none of these companies make the naming of the phone models simple?!
ouch, where did you order it from?
Can you return it free of charge (maybe have to pay postage)?

Can you see the pictures that well on the screen in the daytime...and whats the camera like in low light?
Yes you can. I'm really happy with this phone. Here's a photo I took from my balcony. We have scaffolding around the building. Taken around 11pm. It's just a quick click photo. I don't bother changing settings etc. I'm sure the photo could be even better with other settings. Seriously the battery on this thing is brilliant.

1666617550343.png

Last edited:
My Moto g7 power finally died after almost 4 years good service. In truth I killed it by dropping it in a puddle and only realising 5 minutes later. It still works, but the screen is not working properly, and Motorola phones don't have replaceable screens.

I needed a robust, 5g compatible phone that will last me another 4 years so went for the Nokia XR20:

Probably not quite cheap enough to qualify as a cheap phone at £300, but I certainly recommend it. Very tough so doesn't need a case and screen protector. Seems to be easily powerful enough for the stuff I need it for. It has a programmable physical button that I really like. I have set it as the torch button, but when I'm walking I set it to the OS app.

My Moto g7 power finally died after almost 4 years good service. In truth I killed it by dropping it in a puddle and only realising 5 minutes later. It still works, but the screen is not working properly, and Motorola phones don't have replaceable screens.

I needed a robust, 5g compatible phone that will last me another 4 years so went for the Nokia XR20:

Probably not quite cheap enough to qualify as a cheap phone at £300, but I certainly recommend it. Very tough so doesn't need a case and screen protector. Seems to be easily powerful enough for the stuff I need it for. It has a programmable physical button that I really like. I have set it as the torch button, but when I'm walking I set it to the OS app.

Comes in Granite colour only - coz it's rock-hard! :D

Quite a useful list here: Best Rugged Smartphones 2023 | Top 10 | Onedirect.co.uk although probably not exhaustive if you're on the lookout for toughness.

And then there's the new Nokia G22 repairable smartphone at £150

What's the screen made of :eek: if it doesn't need protecting!?! Idaho
Maybe it does need one... I'll get one.

Have just got myself to the Xiaomi Note 11 pro after a massive price drop of £80 down to £219. Stopped drinking over a year ago so treated myself.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xiaomi-Red...2&hvtargid=pla-1650943247746&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Barclays now does google pay.

Still got the last one that can be used for everything apart from texts and calls without the sim so handy to have lying around.
I've got the Redmi Note 10S that I bought in July 2021 and this weekend it got the OS update to MIUI 14 (Android 13) which is pretty decent and is still going strong.

Got a Huawei Honor 9 second hand on Gumtree for £35. Bargain right? the guy even dropped it off. Are they any good? Looks better than my current Samsung from 2017... :D

It's for a friend of the family with phone issues who I feel bad for.

Got a Huawei Honor 9 second hand on Gumtree for £35. Bargain right? the guy even dropped it off. Are they any good? Looks better than my current Samsung from 2017... :D

It's for a friend of the family with phone issues who I feel bad for.

which model 9x, 9lite, 9x Pro and I think there were others too - I've never had one so I can't comment on how good they are/aren't

Comparison chart here: Compare Honor 9 Lite vs. Honor 9 vs. Honor 9X - GSMArena.com

I'm sure they'll be very happy if you give them a working phone :thumbs:

Cheap is cheap, can't complain too much.

That said, I've an Honor 8 lying about I'd give to anyone free if they needed it.

Xiaomi's pricing on that has been a bit crazy. Especially since in many respects the Note 10 Pro was a better phone. It's been under £200, it's been near £300. I'm not sure they know how to price it.

Cheap is cheap, can't complain too much.

That said, I've an Honor 8 lying about I'd give to anyone free if they needed it.
Any chance I can take you up on that? Not for me, but I've been on the lookout for a working android phone for my elderly neighbour who is currently struggling by with one that is falling apart and takes about 5 minutes to register each press on the screen...

Friend of mine has an A22 for sale for £170. Any good?

Would probably be a decent upgrade from my crappy current Samsung J7 but maybe not that good overall? I want a decent mid range phone at minimum.

Friend of mine has an A22 for sale for £170. Any good?

Would probably be a decent upgrade from my crappy current Samsung J7 but maybe not that good overall? I want a decent mid range phone at minimum.
They were fine as new, but £170 seems expensive for a 2 year old phone that wasn't any hot shakes brand new. If it's the regular A22, you can get better new at that price. The A22 5G holds up to the cheaper new phones, but then it is 2 years old so it boils down to how much you value the Samsung name.

You're not getting anything mid-range for £170. (The A22 is not mid-range) Maybe when the 12 Lite was on sale for £199 that's the closest you'd get. It's £249 at GG right now.

Back
Top Bottom