Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Charity Shop Bargains

I had a vague idea for a thread about the cost of things relative to the amount of time you buy to enjoy the thing i.e. £30 football match/in the ground 2 hours; cd or download album £15/listen to it 10 times = 10 hours; £20 bag of weed/x hours stoned etc. By any sort of calculations along those lines, charity shop 50p novels give about the best value of any routine leisure purchase. :cool:

I doubt it, they turn over a quarter of a billion a year.

Just looked up their website. I wouldn't really call what they have "semi-goth". Mostly, it looks like they're a cheap, fast fashion outlet. I mean they have leather jackets in pink and powder blue. Seriously.

I had a vague idea for a thread about the cost of things relative to the amount of time you buy to enjoy the thing i.e. £30 football match/in the ground 2 hours; cd or download album £15/listen to it 10 times = 10 hours; £20 bag of weed/x hours stoned etc. By any sort of calculations along those lines, charity shop 50p novels give about the best value of any routine leisure purchase. :cool:

Yes, books generally are good value for the money. I have a number of book trade places I check on a regular basis. One of my best finds was a medical textbook from the Victorian era found in a free box.

Just looked up their website. I wouldn't really call what they have "semi-goth". Mostly, it looks like they're a cheap, fast fashion outlet. I mean they have leather jackets in pink and powder blue. Seriously.
call it what you like. Either way they make more money selling their mostly-monochrome clothing range than they could selling antique sewing machines.

I bought Rayman: Legends and it took me nearly 400 hours (steam tells you how long you have been playing the game) spread out over two months. Bout a tenner iirc.
Fallout: New Vegas, I've lost count due to re-installs and lots of modding (adding extra content etc) but It cost me less than a score nearly a year ago and I still hammer a session on it at least twice weekly for an hour or two.
Well and truly MY Money's Worth.

I get most of my books on epub now that is so easy, but in the day the charity shop was the don for VFM. I stil go in to browse the shelves and pick bits up tho, got Fear and Loathing campaign '72 for peanuts last month

I bought Rayman: Legends and it took me nearly 400 hours (steam tells you how long you have been playing the game) spread out over two months. Bout a tenner iirc.

Best platform game ever :thumbs:

I just found some brand new black Ash hi tops for £20 in a Traid, which I normally go in just to scoff at the ridiculous prices.

I got a Gaggia espresso machine for £2.99 yesterday. My coffee game has improved dramatically overnight (I'm also shaking a little)

(one of these)

41DAE04VRHL._SY450_.jpg

Got a good haul yesterday from the 50p rail, the best one was this, from MNG (Mango), the sequins make a very pleasing tinkly sound when you move :)

IMG_20180721_060910547.jpg
Also got a black with gold studs 'I'm With the Band' t-shirt from Boohoo, an Adidas cycling top, a black cut out shoulder t-shirt from Pep&Co (googling tells me this is Poundland :D ), a stripy vest top labelled Converse One Star (not sure if genuine, do they do clothes?), maroon lacy top from Next, a gym/running vest from Primark (hopeful, the spirit is willing... etc :rolleyes: ), and a grey marl thin sloppy oversize jumper, also from Primark.

They range in size from 8 to 18, which just goes to show size labelling is shite and can largely be ignored :rolleyes:

I seem to have an issue with buying jeans from charity shops that never fit- in a variety of different ways. I have about 20 pairs :facepalm: So I'm doing a plus size jeans stall at the local flea market next weekend - £ 5 a pair £4 for 3/4 length.
I got some new (or almost new) Ben Sherman jeans last month for £3 :cool:

There's a local shop that has an excellent stash of children's comic annuals, all under a fiver but also with an ongoing 3-for-6-quid offer. Today got a threefer for my boys (big fans of Topper, Beano, Buster, Sparky, Cor!! and Dandy) which included a Topper I hadn't previously seen, and which didn't have a year marked on the cover or in the copyright notice. Checked Tony's when I got home and it's the 1964 (as in, published in 1963) edition!

A seriously good result, and the lads are chuffed :thumbs:

That's lovely. It breaks my heart to see AllSaints store windows, all those hundreds of sewing machines not sewing.

View attachment 132163

Don't worry. There were millions of machines made and these came from the Wimbeldon Sewing machine company. Many were broken and all the useful spares were removed. I found this out when I visited the sewing machine museum. I bought bobbins for my 1900 machine which most likely came from one of these machines.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom