Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Changes in the licence requirements for towing a trailer from Autumn 2021

I'm guessing that this is to allow older people with car licences to drive bigger light commercial vehicles with trailers to help ease the HGV driver issues?

Us really old types have always been able to do this.

I'm guessing that this is to allow older people with car licences to drive bigger light commercial vehicles with trailers to help ease the HGV driver issues?

Us really old types have always been able to do this.

Apparently it’s to scrap caravan tests so the examiners can focus on HGV tests. Worrying as apparently the current caravan test has a 30% failure rate and the standards don’t seem that high…

Yep I can drive a 7.5 tonner with a 7.5 ton trailer.

God help you all should I decide to do so. :)

Me too !

Last time I drove anything that big was several years ago ... and only along a motorway, from one service area to another some 200 miles away. [both picked as their access is without nasty, sharp bends !]

I'm highly unlikely to tow a caravan or trailer in the future , so even though I am probably allowed to, I won't be.

When I was changing my licence to Spanish I only kept my B and BE because I wasn't going to drive a minibus, 7.5 ton truck, or any motorbikes ever again. As a result, now we've moved, I'm going to have to take my A test so I can have a scooter again.

Shit, I've been driving with a trailer but it looks like I can only do that as a provisional. What does that mean?
View your driving licence information

Vehicles you can provisionally drive​

Category : BE
Image of category BE vehicleHide information
  • Description​

You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) with up to 8 passenger seats and a driver with a trailer weighing up to 3,500kg
I didn't know that website existed. I've just checked my record and it looks as though I'm allowed to drive most categories (including towing large trailers). Good to know I can drive a tractor!

Shit, I've been driving with a trailer but it looks like I can only do that as a provisional. What does that mean?

• Description​

You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) with up to 8 passenger seats and a driver with a trailer weighing up to 3,500kg

Not provisional for me, but passed in 1988. Although this shows on every category I can drive:

aaa.JPG

What's that about?

• Description​

panic over

Vehicles you can drive​

• Category : B
  • Start date: 24 May 2002
  • End date: 30 Sep 2041
  • Restrictions apply
Image of category B vehicleHide information

• Description​

You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) with up to 8 passenger seats and a driver (with a trailer up to 750kg). You can also tow heavier trailers if the total weight of vehicle and trailer isn’t more than 3,500kg

Apparently it’s to scrap caravan tests so the examiners can focus on HGV tests. Worrying as apparently the current caravan test has a 30% failure rate and the standards don’t seem that high…
Hardly surprising. The type of people who own caravans are the type who shouldn't be allowed on the road in anything. They're Montego drivers who refused to die.
It amazes me how some people can't get their head around reversing a trailer. It should be part of the test, or you shouldn't be allowed to tow one.

Longest vehicle combo I've driven was a long-wheel base 4x4 towing a 34' rowing lifeboat on a trailer. Which "just" squeezed under the MAM limits. Apart from the oars (14ft beasts) all the other kit was in other vehicles, including the anchor.

That was nerve-wracking as idiots were ignoring the EXTRA LONG LOAD signs hanging off the 'boat's stern and cut=ups at junctions and roundabouts were frequent, despite two cars "riding shotgun" ... I nearly had one guy's motor sandwiched between the 'boat and a low wall ...

After that, any long moves were more heavily pre-planned, in order to get the shotguns into blocking positions especially at roundabouts.

Longest vehicle combo I've driven was a long-wheel base 4x4 towing a 34' rowing lifeboat on a trailer. Which "just" squeezed under the MAM limits. Apart from the oars (14ft beasts) all the other kit was in other vehicles, including the anchor.

That was nerve-wracking as idiots were ignoring the EXTRA LONG LOAD signs hanging off the 'boat's stern and cut=ups at junctions and roundabouts were frequent, despite two cars "riding shotgun" ... I nearly had one guy's motor sandwiched between the 'boat and a low wall ...

After that, any long moves were more heavily pre-planned, in order to get the shotguns into blocking positions especially at roundabouts.

Probably best done at 3 am. :)

Probably best done at 3 am. :)
Yup ...
and with some training.

Talking of encounters with convoys; army, for the use of ...
When I was travelling from Coventry to Chippenham, by motorbike, for a weekend away from my fellow students (& the home football) I would often drive down late on Friday night - or at a quarter to sparrow's fart in the morning.
Anyway, for most of my route I would be blatting down the "Fosse Way" as it's mostly straight, apart from some short detours and roundabouts.
Well, I swooped around this roundabout, and began the long curve that bypasses a steep dip (there's a farm at the bottom) ...
To be brought up sharply by a squaddie.
"Road's Blocked"
"What by ? Can't I get the bike past ?"
"Not saying" - Torch shone over me & bike
"I'll ask" He trots off and words are said.
Someone with more rank comes up to me and looks at the bike, then his watch and a map - the required diversion was a long one ... So, I repeated my request.
"OK, Since you've asked nicely, take it carefully and follow me"
I then had to manoeuvre around the hacienda of a jack-knifed tank transporter, with a large tank under tarps (on it's way to Bovington, I found out) - A lot of swearing accompanied the attempted reversing, jacking & packing going on. The front of the transporter seemed to be jammed into the hedge bank at an uncomfortable angle.
There were some other vehicles parked up at the next junction a few miles down the route, to diverting North-bound traffic.
I was expected, and had no difficulty getting past, but was invited to stop for a chat & a brew as there was one almost ready ...
When I reversed my route late on Sunday, there was a bunch of lads reshaping and replanting the hedgebank.

Back
Top Bottom