Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Change UK: Chuka Umunna resigns from Labour party and launches Independent Group

There is now video:

The paras about Ryan in Crace's Guardian piece are rather good tbh...

No one can accuse Joan Ryan of indulging in personality politics. The former Labour MP is a charisma-free zone, a woman with the air of an over-anxious junior HR manager. The more she tries to encourage you, the worse you feel. She’d make a good living giving eulogies for people she’s never met at funeral services where no one has bothered to turn up. It was time someone stuck up for the EU, she said. She was right. Though I suspect everyone in Brussels rather wishes it wasn’t her.

“Look at your hands,” she concluded. Everyone briefly woke up, not quite sure they had heard her right. “Look at your hands,” she again demanded. Everyone rather awkwardly put their hands out in front of them and looked at them. Ryan was thrilled.

“There’s the answer,” she beamed. “The answer is in your hands.” Thank you and goodnight, grasshopper.

I don't think credulously repeating lobby hacks' unsourced bollocks is ok just because we hate the people they're trashing tbh

what you referring to? the tweet about "talks with labour ex-colleagues"? i dont have problem with seeing what pots the lobby hacks are stirring - its all part of the mix and I can make my own judgement on its credibility. They are political actors as well.

what you referring to? the tweet about "talks with labour ex-colleagues"? i dont have problem with seeing what pots the lobby hacks are stirring - its all part of the mix and I can make my own judgement on its credibility. They are political actors as well.
certainly the seamless lobby pivot from 'Labour are in serious trouble with the arrival of this new centrist party!' to 'lol, look at these fucking clowns' is an instructive one.

certainly the seamless lobby pivot from 'Labour are in serious trouble with the arrival of this new centrist party!' to 'lol, look at these fucking clowns' is an instructive one.

hmmmm, could be instructive, could also be that the #LibDemFightBack means that the lobby don't need Ch UK any more and can get some mileage out of mocking them.

Mike Gapes is their only chance now. Scratch Umanna and Leslie, that whole smarmy, articulate good-in-a-suit thing is totally yesterday. The electorate are looking for left-field. Make Gapes leader. Build the party round him. Go batshit.

If Mike Gapes launched a MILK Party I'd vote for it.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Change U.K. chief Heidi Allen calls time on Change U.K. She reveals the party will likely be part of a “brave new world” coalition by the time of the next Election. (So why vote for them Thursday?!)</p>&mdash; steve hawkes (@steve_hawkes) <a href="">May 20, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That's brilliant. :facepalm: :D

Change UK may not exist as a party in its current form by the time of the next general election, interim leader Heidi Allen has just admitted.

Quizzed on BBC Radio 4 Today’s programme after weekend rumours that she might defect to the Liberal Democrats, Allen revealed “the format might be slightly different. I see a modern world of coalition.”

This is the strongest hint yet of a coalition with the Lib Dem party.

Allen refused to confirm if she would be leading Change UK into the next general election.

Up to now the Change UK chief had denied an alliance with the Lib Dems is on the cards after a week in which one colleague already defected and the new party polled at its lowest.

The South Cambridgeshire MP who resigned from the Conservative Party amid mass defections in February, had insisted: “It wouldn’t look good if I defected from one party and defected to another a few weeks later.”

However Allen, 44, admitted that electoral co-operation after the European Parliament elections this week may be the logical step forward: “I hope we’ll be able to work more effectively in the future,” she said.

The admission came days after David Macdonald, a Change UK candidate in Scotland, left the party for the Lib Dems.

Boris Johnson’s sister Rachel Johnson, Change UK’s European election candidate in the southwest, also warned this weekend that the party was a “sinking ship”.

Change UK Party may not exist by next election reveals leader Heidi Allen

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Change U.K. chief Heidi Allen calls time on Change U.K. She reveals the party will likely be part of a “brave new world” coalition by the time of the next Election. (So why vote for them Thursday?!)</p>&mdash; steve hawkes (@steve_hawkes) <a href="">May 20, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Oh brave new world that has such people, innit...

What would the lib dems gain from letting them join?

Isn't there some form of party slush money dished out, with the LD's a bit close to the mark of not getting any because of their small numbers?

I'd certainly say there are negatives in allowing her (or any of the Chuckies) in, but the chance to kill off the Chuckies in one fell swoop is a big positive.

Isn't there some form of party slush money dished out, with the LD's a bit close to the mark of not getting any because of their small numbers?

I'd certainly say there are negatives in allowing her (or any of the Chuckies) in, but the chance to kill off the Chuckies in one fell swoop is a big positive.

They should let them all in except Chuka Umunna.

Back
Top Bottom